E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #101
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyphyMovementZ View Post
DIY 99.999 Complete but remote start doesnt crank!
I'm no expert of course but that would have to mean something with maybe the immobolizer or starter kill? Anyways, OP just wanted to let you know that the blue scanning led seems to be quite popular. Everybody I come across asks me what it is. I was in a starbucks parking lot the other night programming a 530i and this older white guy, late 30s comes all the way from across the parking lot, having seen the led, and asked me what it was. I told him where I got it and such and he kept on repeating how cool it was. As my eyes trailed after him, I could only shake my head and smirk. He plans on installing it on a camry. It only looks very good if you have the rear view mirror cover like ours. Where is he going to mount it?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #102
NumbaOneNewb

so I'm getting ready to order the rs915. So you're saying this should be able to work with my voice module to do what it was that I was wanting to do right? So if I get the same system, no need to write up an installation because it'd be the same right? Although I will need help with setting up those custom arm disarm functions.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #103
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Yeah buddy, we would be able to do the custom arm/disarm chirps. And yes, it would be the same as the write up, since I used a 915 in the DYI. I'll help you out when you are ready to wire up the voice module, it will be easy.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #104
NumbaOneNewb

Yeah. I just wanted to simplify things this time around. Lol. Oh yeah. I'm starting a new experiment and I'm just waiting for the equipment to come in. Supposedly it allows me to clear or even write over existing keys. So if it does work, not only could I theoretically take anybody bmw key and program it to start mine or anybody else's car (I would still need an actual key blade) but i can also wipe and clear ews modules and make it think it was a brand new unit. Let's hope it works because my last experiment failed. Lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #105
drvasile

My Ride: 320i
Hello. I have a 320i european with no alarm. I am going to fit the original horn and 2 sensors, shock and internal microwave (both not original, both with 3 wires - ground, +12 and negative trigger). There are no problems with siren, the connection is simple (+12 from fuse 67, ground, siren wire and stdwa from GM V).
My questions
1. Can I use stdwa as ground for those sensors instead of body ground (do not want them to be active permanently, but only when alarm is armed)? (the original UIS sensor has a ground wire but the tilt sensor has not).
2. where shall I connect the trigger wire from each sensor? to GM V in places of original sensors? then which one? (there are 3 pins - 5 Park Angle/Tilt Sensor, In (B28-4),,,, 19 Signal, Interior Protection II (A123) (Convertible Only),,,, 24 Signal, Interior Protection Unit I (A121))? or split them to one input, or split them to hood switch? Will the GM V recognize these sensors?

Thanks in advance!
drvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #106
benzovs

I'll be happy to help, but I'm having a little trouble understanding your posts, it kind of jumps around and it's hard to make sense of it.
Quote:
I am going to fit the original horn and 2 sensors, shock and internal microwave (both not original, both with 3 wires - ground, +12 and negative trigger).
For example here you say you are going to fit the original horn and 2 sensors, then go on to say "both not original". I'm not sure what that means. Are you installing the OEM siren, motion sensor, and tilt sensor?
And regardless of what type of sensors you use, you will have to supply them with both a constant ground and the stdwa ground when armed wire.
You will also need to program the DWA function on the gm5 and have the factory tilt sensor. The tilt sensor is the one that tells the gm5 that there are sensors present and the stdwa signal turns on at that point. Try to reword you questions so that they are a little clearer and easier to understand, then we will go from there.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #107
drvasile

OK. My car has no alarm and no wires for it.
The horn is the original one.
Sensors are not original
(the shock sensor is with no name, something like this - http://www.blaize-electronics.com/pr...ock_sensor.htm
the internal sensor is SATURN mms2),
both have +12, ground and negative trigger. I was going to supply them with constant +12 and use stdwa as ground (do not want them to work permanently),
and their triggers to GM V inputs.
I am not sure that tilt sensor tells the gm5 that there are sensors present, on the diagram in the previous page you can see the stdwa wires are split inside the tilt sensor. I think the negative stdwa just goes through tilt sensor.
Do you know the stdwa is a constant ground? If yes I can use it as ground supply for sensors.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #108
NumbaOneNewb

I think your issue has nothing to do with wiring or hardware. You need to activate your oem alarm by way of coding. The cars ability to monitor those sensors you speak of alsi require to be activated.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #109
benzovs

Quote:
OK. My car has no alarm and no wires for it.
The horn is the original one.
Sensors are not original
(the shock sensor is with no name, something like this - http://www.blaize-electronics.com/pr...ock_sensor.htm
the internal sensor is SATURN mms2),
both have +12, ground and negative trigger. I was going to supply them with constant +12 and use stdwa as ground (do not want them to work permanently),
and their triggers to GM V inputs.
I am not sure that tilt sensor tells the gm5 that there are sensors present, on the diagram in the previous page you can see the stdwa wires are split inside the tilt sensor. I think the negative stdwa just goes through tilt sensor.
Do you know the stdwa is a constant ground? If yes I can use it as ground supply for sensors.
Yesterday 08:42 PM
All e46 vehicles have the alarm built into the gm5. In order for the alarm to work it has to be activated with programming and at the very least tilt sensor MUST be used. The tilt sensor is what tells the DWA that there are sensors present and that in in turn tells the DWA to send out the STDWA signal (which is ground when armed). So this is what you would have to do to make it work. First code the DWA function with pa soft or similar program. Second make sure you have the OEM tilt sensor. All the e46 vehicles are prewired for this so the wire plug/harness will be in the trunk by the battery.

When you say "horn", do you mean the factory alarm siren? Or do you mean the horn that honks when you press the center of the steering wheel? Either way, you will need to hook up something to the siren harness that's in the engine compartment by the firewall so that you are audibly alerted when the alarm is triggered. You will need to give your sensors constant 12 v+, hook up the STDWA to the ground, and then run the trigger wire to the hood pin, tilt sensor, or motion sensor trigger input. The tilt sensor does split the stdwa wire internally to go to the other sensors, but it also tells the gm5 that there are sensors present. If you do not connect the factory tilt sensor, the stdwa wire will not function.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will reply as soon as I can.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #110
drvasile

1. I know that I have to programm the GM V in order to function, but I wanted to know to activate inputs for sensors or not (if, for ex. I connect triggers to hood switch).
2. My car is a european one, it has no alarm, no wires for sirene or sensors at all.
3. I know that there are cars with OEM alarm and no tilt sensor in the trunk and everything works, thats why I am not shure about the role of OEM tilt sensor.
4. Horn is OEM sirene. I have made the harnes for it and for OEM hood switch. Next days i will install the sirene and hood switch in their places. After that I will have to work with GM V connections.
By the way, I think that not the STDWA is responsable for telling the system about the presense of other sensors but the negative trigger from original tilt sensor (my shock sensor does the same - 5 seconds negative trigger when connected to 12v), after that the GM V just turns on inputs for other sensors.
Thanks for help, sorry for english.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #111
drvasile

The easiest way is to give both sensors constant supply and connect their triggers to hood switch (using diodes), stdwa - directly to sirene and thats it, I am sure it will work. But easy is not for me.

Last edited by drvasile; 12-08-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #112
benzovs

All documentation, manuals, and tech reports that I have read and used to come to a conclusion about the DWA on the e46 do not say anything about excluding european models. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I'm just saying that it's weird that it's not noted in bold or as an asterisk somewhere. And it's also strange that you have seen other DWA alarm systems being fully functional without the use of the tilt sensor, seeing as the tilt sensor is where the STDWA splits to the other sensors.

Anyways, you don't have to program the individual trigger inputs, just the general DWA function. And you are right, at the hood pin would be the easiest and most convinient way to connect the new sensors. Its not the STDWA that tells the gm5 that there are sensors (or a single sensor) present, it is the NG wire that goes to the tilt sensor.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #113
drvasile

1. Believe me there are a lot of cars not prewired. There are topics in this forum for ex. http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=788755 or this http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=800313 with instructions how to do it.
2. There are a lot of russians that connected stdwa directly to siren with no tilt sensor, and it is OK. http://www.e46club.ru/forumvb/viewto...p?f=47&t=45330
3. I suppose that tilt sensor has its own role (I found one, disassemble it, there is not a simple split of stdwa wires inside).
4. What about programming I think I will have to activate some inputs (depending on sensors I have) during programing.

So, now I have OEM tilt sensor, the stdwa will go to it from GM V, then from it: one stdwa will go to shock sensor ground and other to microwave sensor ground. The tilt sensor has its own trigger input in GM V, the triggers from shock and microwave will split using diodes and go to internal protection GM V input.