E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Sports Central

Sports Central
NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL, NLL, Olympics etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Alleged DUI crash, 1 Cowboys player dead, 1 under arrest

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...ls-jerry-brown

Quote:
IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent was arrested early Saturday morning for intoxication manslaughter after a one-vehicle accident that killed teammate Jerry Brown.

According to Irving police, Brent's car was traveling at a high rate of speed on a State Highway 114 service road before he hit the outside curb. The car flipped at least one time before coming to a rest in the middle of the service road.

When police arrived Brent was responsive and spoke to police officers. Brown was unresponsive and taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Brent, a three-year veteran, was booked in the Irving city jail at 4:14 a.m. Saturday morning.

Brown was signed to the Cowboys' practice squad earlier this season. He was also Brent's college teammate at Illinois.

"We are deeply saddened by the news of this accident and the passing of Jerry Brown," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement. "At this time, our hearts and prayers and deepest sympathies are with the members of Jerry's family and all of those who knew him and loved him."

The Cowboys are flying to Cincinnati for Sunday's game against the Bengals and had no comment on the accident, other than to say Brent did not make the team's charter. The players were told on the plane just before takeoff of what happened after non-team personnel were asked to go outside.

In June 2009, Brent was sentenced to two years of probation and 60 days in jail as part of a plea agreement stemming from a drunken driving arrest in Champaign County in Illinois.

Brent had been starting for the Cowboys with nose tackle Jay Ratliff sidelined by a groin injury. The Cowboys promoted nose tackle Rob Callaway off the practice squad Saturday.

Brown was signed by the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent on May 23 but was waived on Aug. 31. He was then signed to the Cowboys' practice squad on Sept. 1 and elevated to the active roster on Oct. 10.

Brown played in one game against the New York Jets in Week 6 before being waived on Oct. 16 and signed to the practice squad the following day.

"Sad news for the Illini #Family today," Illinois coach Tim Beckman tweeted. "Jerry Brown, former Illini and current NFL player has passed away. Keep him in your prayers."

This is the second time since 2003 a Cowboys player has been involved in a fatal car accident. On Jan. 14, 2003, Dwayne Goodrich, a second-round pick in 2000, was involved in a hit-and-run accident in which two people were killed.

Goodrich was convicted later that year of two counts of criminally negligent homicide and was released from prison in October 2011.

Information from ESPNDallas.com's Todd Archer and The Associated Press was used in this report.
Frankly, I think DUI is one of the stupidest vehicular crimes a person can commit. It's all about selfishness, poor planning and just plain stupidity.

RIP to Jerry Brown and all the other victims of idiots that drive while impaired.

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 12-10-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
It is all over the news................

Brent already had one DUI conviction and he is still in jail pending a bond hearing. He faces 20 years in prison.

When he was arrested, he was telling the cops 'I 'm a Cowboy, I'm a Cowboy' , like that is going to make a difference or the cops would let the incident slide.

Brent weighs 320 lbs. How many drinks does a man have to consume at 320 lbs to be legally drunk..6.8. ?

I have not heard what his alcohol level was.

BTW.........there is nothing alleged about the DUI crash or his responsibility for Brown's death.

Last edited by Raymond42262; 12-08-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...ls-jerry-brown

Frankly, I think DUI is one of the stupidest vehicular crimes a person can commit. It's all about selfishness, poor planning and just plain stupidity.

RIP to Josh Brent and all the other victims of idiots that drive while impaired.
Agreed. If you have the means to go out drinking, you should have the means to pay for a cab ride. It is even more ridiculous in the case of celebrities and pro athletes.

btw, Josh Brent was the a-hole driving. Jerry Brown is the deceased.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Raymond42262

$500, 000 bond.......ouch.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
I dont get it...when you get paid REALLY good...why not spend little pocket change for the cab? or for the limo in their case
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Shitty team, Shitty player, Shitty person

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
I have a high school friend that killed her friend drunk driving on her 21st birthday.

She now has a family and kids.

This guy will not serve any jail time and will be back to a normal life in no time.

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
I hate that this is news.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Agreed. If you have the means to go out drinking, you should have the means to pay for a cab ride. It is even more ridiculous in the case of celebrities and pro athletes.

btw, Josh Brent was the a-hole driving. Jerry Brown is the deceased.
Fixed, thanks. Looked right at it and still typed it wrong.

If I read the subtitles in the bar correctly, Costas said NFL players have a dial-a-ride program accessible to them 24/7. They just have to dial a number and someone will come get them, they don't even have to pay or try to find a cab.

Yes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Fixed, thanks. Looked right at it and still typed it wrong.

If I read the subtitles in the bar correctly, Costas said NFL players have a dial-a-ride program accessible to them 24/7. They just have to dial a number and someone will come get them, they don't even have to pay or try to find a cab.
That is correct. Pathetic this guy would drive and cost someone their life

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
RIP Jerry Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Raymond42262

I want to know what his alcohol content level was.
It will be a week or so before it is returned.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Raymond42262

Interesting.
But I will give Josh Brent a 'bye' on this one.
People aren't themselves 100 hundred percent after an accident.
He was probably in shock and somewhat incoherent.

--------------
Eyewitness Stacee McWilliams was on her way from celebrating her birthday when she came upon the crash scene. McWilliams tells the Dallas Morning News that Brent had to be coerced to attempt to rescue Brown from the burning vehicle.

"As I was on the access road, I approached the aftermath of what was obviously a horrible, tragic incident. When I first pulled up to the scene, there was a little bit of a flame coming from the flipped vehicle, like in the engine area. Just a very small flame and I wasn't too overly concerned for that. I jumped out of my vehicle and ran up to make sure that everyone was okay. As I got closer to the scene, there was a gentleman, which I later found out was Josh Brent, that was standing off to the right side of the wreckage, kind of pacing back and forth, you know, walking around.

"I asked him if he was okay, I said 'Is everyone okay?', 'Are you alright?', and he responded to me, he said that he was fine.
"The person that was in the other vehicle stepped out of her car and she said 'I've already called 9-1-1, they're on the way'. And I was like, I'm so relieved that, you know, single-car collision, no injuries, fine...But it took no time at all for this fire to really get engaged. It became very hot, very bright, very big and then I started to hear screams coming from inside the vehicle and it was a man's voice saying 'Help me', you know, 'Help, somebody help me'. And I turned and looked at the gentleman in the black pants (Brent), and I said 'Is there a passenger? Is there somebody in the car?'. And he said 'Yeah'. And I told him 'Well, get him out of the car'.

"Josh looked at me and he said 'He won't get out of the car'. And I said 'Well, you can't just leave him in there and let him die. You've got to help him. Go get him'. And I commanded him several times and Josh looked at me, and he again said 'He won't get out of the car'. And I told him 'You can't stand here and watch him die. You've got to get him out'."

McWilliams returned to her vehicle to retrieve her phone and when she returned, Brent had pulled the passenger (Brown) from the fiery wreck.

"He (Brown) was laying in the middle of the lane, very still. He had his arms were outstretched, almost in the shape of a 'T'. And he was moving his arms just a little bit, he was moving his head just a little bit. So I was like 'Okay, he's not dead, he's alive'. You know, I felt some sense of relief. The fire was getting bigger, glass was starting to shatter. I don't know where Josh went at this point, because he just disappeared into the darkness behind the vehicle.
"I didn't know Jerry in life. I never heard of him, I didn't know who he was," McWilliams added. "But I want people to understand that Josh Brent is not a hero. I keep hearing reports of how he was there to pull his friend from the fire, but he had to be coerced and pushed and begged and pleaded to get his friend out of the fire. And when he pulled him out, he just left him in the street. He didn't tell him 'Hang in there, help is on the way'. Nothing. He just left him there and I want the magnitude of that to be understood."

Few would regard Brent as a hero. The bottom line is that he made the decision to drive after consuming alcohol, a decision that resulted in the death of his close friend and teammate, Jerry Brown, and the end to what was a promising football career for himself, which will now be replaced by a prison sentence of up to 20 years and a lifetime of regret over what he has done. Brent is eligible for forgiveness, though, and the Brown family is doing just that.

It's also important to note that this is just one eyewitness account of an early-morning incident where most of the participants had been consuming alcohol, which as we know, impairs judgment. If the allegations that Brent did not immediately act are true, it's possible that Brent's impaired state - a blood sample was taken at the scene because the incident involved a fatality - prevented him from doing so. It's also possible that the injuries Brent sustained in the crash impacted his judgment or ability to fully comprehend what was happening.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...7707--nfl.html

Last edited by Raymond42262; 12-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
But I will give Josh Brent a 'bye' on this one.
Homer.

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Raymond42262

DALLAS -- The Dallas Cowboys lineman at the wheel of the fatal crash that killed his teammate on Dec. 8 had a blood alcohol level more than twice the legal limit, according to a Dallas Morning News report.

Third-year nose tackle Josh Brent failed a field sobriety test and refused a breathalyzer test at the scene, according to a police affidavit. But authorities were able to order his blood drawn because the wreck killed Cowboys linebacker Jerry Brown Jr.

According to the newspaper, the blood test revealed a 0.18 level, well above Texas' .08 threshold for driving drunk.

"That's approximately 14 drinks or so for a man his size
," Dwain Fuller, a forensic toxicologist who has testified as an expert witness in court cases for more than 25 years, told Yahoo! Sports. Brent is listed at 6-foot-2, 320 pounds.

Fuller, who is not connected to the case, said the estimated number of drinks Brent consumed could vary depending on his history with alcohol and how long he'd been drinking prior to the wreck. The Morning News attributed its story to an unidentified law enforcement source familiar with the investigation.

Officer John Argumaniz, a spokesman with the Irving Police Department, told Yahoo! Sports investigators have not received test results from the lab. He said detectives will soon meet with prosecutors to discuss the investigation before it is officially filed.

"We are still working on the case," Officer Argumaniz wrote in an email.

Police said Brent was speeding in his 2007 Mercedes about 2:20 a.m. Saturday when he hit a freeway curb and flipped the car.
The Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission is investigating Privae, a nightclub where Brent and a number of his Cowboy teammates reportedly were prior to the accident. A spokeswoman from the agency said authorities are trying to determine if the club, located about five miles from the scene of the wreck, violated any laws by serving Brent too many drinks.

Mesha Jackson, a promoter for the club, wrote on Twitter Friday night about the number of Cowboys players in attendance.
One tweet read, "I have 12 #Cowboys in theeee building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #Privae."

Jackson has not returned messages from Yahoo! Sports, but tweeted Wednesday, "As all of you, I am deeply saddened by the terrible tragedy that occurred over the weekend. I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathy."
According to published reports, Brent spent 30 days in jail and received two years of probation in 2009 after pleading guilty to DUI in Illinois, where he played college football.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3135--nfl.html
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Xcelratr

NICE

Yes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
Raymond42262

Quote:

NICE

.18 on a 320 lb man with a previous DUI record.

double facepalm.