E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Installing laminate Floor in my apt

Hey guys, I know I've been absent for a while, I've discovered reddit, and it takes up most of my free time.

I replaced the old scratched up cheap engineered hardwood and replaced with a nice chocolate rosewood laminate. I also installed new baseboards. I had to sand and repaint the wall because the baseboards were lower. I would not suggest replacing baseboards with smaller ones, you are creating a lot of extra work for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354649661.236878.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	480857   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354649682.149866.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	480858  

Last edited by Hockeyman17; 12-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Hockeyman17

I can take more photos once I'm done cleaning everything up. Also the baseboards still need to be painted to clean up some of the seams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354649748.794702.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	480859  

Last edited by Hockeyman17; 12-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Hockeyman17

Feel free to ask any questions. I am very happy with the end product
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Interesting choice on the baseboards. They look very traditional for a modern apartment, especially if you're leaving them white. The floor color looks good with the window frames, the baseboard really stands out and says "this is where the room ENDS". That style is more common in suburban homes where there is nothing worth looking at outside the window.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
It looks good.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Hockeyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Interesting choice on the baseboards. They look very traditional for a modern apartment, especially if you're leaving them white. The floor color looks good with the window frames, the baseboard really stands out and says "this is where the room ENDS". That style is more common in suburban homes where there is nothing worth looking at outside the window.
This is in a high rise apt building. Tomorrow I will paint all of the baseboards as well as the window sills you see in the pic and the door frames. I think it will clean it up even more with those matching
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
sea6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
This is in a high rise apt building. Tomorrow I will paint all of the baseboards as well as the window sills you see in the pic and the door frames. I think it will clean it up even more with those matching
Great! I'm sick of that "white trim on everything" style. We're starting to tackle a remodel of a modern house and this is one of the big mistakes I've seen on similar jobs.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Great job!
I use to not like dark colors for wood flooring... but it does give the room a classic look&feel.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
NCLee

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Send a message via AIM to NCLee
Ugh. I know what you mean about using the shorter baseboards. I installed some hardwood and replaced stair treads in my 105 year old house, and some of the original baseboard was damaged. You can't just go to Home Depot and buy that old 8" baseboard!
I didn't want to sand and re-paint the whole length of the wall, so I ended up making my own baseboard. I needed two router bits to recreate the pattern of the original, and it looks close enough. I would not have been willing to do more than about 10 feet of that though!
  • the Bentley manual skips steps. LOTS of them. Don't tear your hair out when the next step makes no sense.
NCLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Looks great!
I happen to like all white trim - simple and clean. I don't know what other color you would make it unless it is simply a wood stained color, which I don't happen to like (though I do have some of it in my own house that I've left alone since it looks good in certain circumstances).

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
sea6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Looks great!
I happen to like all white trim - simple and clean. I don't know what other color you would make it unless it is simply a wood stained color, which I don't happen to like (though I do have some of it in my own house that I've left alone since it looks good in certain circumstances).
Yeah, except you rarely see it used in modern designs to contrast against both the walls and floors. If the walls were white it wouldn't stand out so much. As it is, it's like he's trying to make the place look traditional despite the wall of windows.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
looks awesome
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Yeah, except you rarely see it used in modern designs to contrast against both the walls and floors. If the walls were white it wouldn't stand out so much. As it is, it's like he's trying to make the place look traditional despite the wall of windows.
What's typically used in modern designs?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
sea6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Flat molding painted same color as wall or floor. The idea is to not draw your eye to the edge but to have it blend. It makes the room look bigger.

Something like this you barely notice it's there. If the walls were dark with the white trim this room would look like a small cave.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
sea6speed

Quote:
Flat molding painted same color as wall or floor. The idea is to not draw your eye to the edge but to have it blend. It makes the room look bigger.

Something like this you barely notice it's there. If the walls were dark with the white trim this room would look like a small cave.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
is it fastened to the ground at all? my apartment has similar laminate flooring and theres one spot where it rises up and you can feel it go "flat" by 1/2" when you step on it.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Hockeyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
is it fastened to the ground at all? my apartment has similar laminate flooring and theres one spot where it rises up and you can feel it go "flat" by 1/2" when you step on it.
There's one spot where the concrete has a dip and you can notice at the bottom of the baseboard. It makes a light 'clack' when you step on that spot. My uncle is coming by this week to see what he can do
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #18
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
There's one spot where the concrete has a dip and you can notice at the bottom of the baseboard. It makes a light 'clack' when you step on that spot. My uncle is coming by this week to see what he can do
Yep, thats exactly what I mean.

If you can put some padding i.e. carpet backing or foam, it would probably fix it.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:

The picture you took seems like kind of an exception though. For starters the room is huge with very large windows which make it seem large no matter what color is on the wall.

Second, that room has light paint and what appears to be white baseboards and no trim around the windows.

Third, flat paint on trim would not be very durable at all... I wouldn't go any lower than satin paint for trim pieces and especially baseboards.

Last, we have an accent wall in my house painted dark blue. What color trim would you recommend to go on there? Currently the whole house is natural oak and I'm not a fan.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-10-2012 at 03:23 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
sea6speed

Quote:
The picture you took seems like kind of an exception though. For starters the room is huge with very large windows which make it seem large no matter what color is on the wall.

Second, that room has light paint and what appears to be white baseboards and no trim around the windows.

Third, flat paint on trim would not be very durable at all... I wouldn't go any lower than satin paint for trim pieces and especially baseboards.

Last, we have an accent wall in my house painted dark blue. What color trim would you recommend to go on there? Currently the whole house is natural oak and I'm not a fan.

The room isn't as big as it looks. I've driven by the house a few times, and it's more the open layout that emphasizes size - and the fact that the house spans the lot lengthwise. From the outside anyway, the windows don't seem that large - but from that side it's painted gray.

Dunno on the blue wall, I'm not much of a designer. I'm just in the process of figuring out how to restore a modern house we bought without screwing up the original style. So, if you were to ask about what to do with a blue wall in a mid-century modern house, I'd have some idea. Other than that I'm clueless.

Last edited by sea6speed; 12-12-2012 at 05:50 PM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote