E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #141
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
you are giving him way too much credit.

that pix doesn't proof anything. All that letter proof was that he has a letter from his congress woman. I am not even sure it is addressed to him. Heck, that letter can be for anything. It can be a rejection letter stating that the congresswoman regrets to inform him that she was unable to nominate him (or he wasnt her primary nomination). that letter can be anything that is why he blocks everything on there.

Exactly, I cherish that six year old rejection letter. I actually have it framed and hanging above my degree from University of Phoenix.

Why would I disclose personal information like that on the internet for everyone to see.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 12-09-2012 at 10:06 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #142
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Are you fawking kidding me? I never implied it would be as simple as just signing some papers and poof you're in. I said I was looking into it. I'm not telling people "hey, I'm switching to EOD after my sea tour." Also don't you ever question my integrity towards my job. Maybe I feel the need to do something that has a greater impact than the mission of my current platform.

My buddy did a "lateral transfer" from flying to being a Foreign Affairs Officer. Which did require a lot of paper work and the requirement to learn a new language at the Defense Language Institute.

So how about you sit behind your desk, keep playing COD and shut the fawk up. Maybe you would gain a little more respect on this forum if you were a bit more humble and had actual real world experience instead of being a keyboard warrior.
wow...I need to talk to your buddy. He gave up his wings just to be a military attache to some US embassy on some third world countries? Was he a cargo pilot or something because I heard that among the aviator world, cargo pilots are considered 2nd class citizen.

anyhow...mad props to your buddy for going to Monterey bay (Presidio). I got married in Carmel so I am very envious. I applied to NPS but didn't get accepted.

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #143
M3_POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Eh, all you really have to do is jump on JPAS with an SSN to verify a clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
true, but that assumes one has an account. Generally, accounts are usually granted for those that are SSOs.FSOs, etc.
My buddy has a JPAS account....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #144
M3_POWER

Quote:
wow...I need to talk to your buddy. He gave up his wings just to be a military attache to some US embassy on some third world countries? Was he a cargo pilot or something because I heard that among the aviator world, cargo pilots are considered 2nd class citizen.

anyhow...mad props to your buddy for going to Monterey bay (Presidio). I got married in Carmel so I am very envious. I applied to NPS but didn't get accepted.
Flying isn't for everyone. I know a lot of guys who get out and go into something else than fly. It's glamorized through the media, but in reality, it's far from it. Don't get me wrong, most days I love flying, but I can't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. Tell my buddies how they are enjoying the 6 month extension (12 in total) being deployed on a carrier. That does wonders for your personal and family life back home.

He's also going to be a FAO in Germany. Not a bad gig if you ask me.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 12-09-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #145
deliroast

My Ride: '02 M3 vert
Send a message via Skype™ to deliroast
Ignore the troll...

US Army
25S E4(P)

Random question, any way to switch over to navy nuke and stay active after ets?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

Last edited by deliroast; 12-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
deliroast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #146
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:

The Defense Attaché, FAO, and RAO programs are pretty good gigs, no matter what country you go to. It can also be considered quite prestigious in certain circles and communities. That, and you develop many connections and the experience can help in the civilian world depending on what you want to do (e.g. State Dept). There is nothing to be ashamed of if a pilot gives up his flight status to do it, or for any service member. I've known fellow Marine Officers that have given up their primary occupation to become a FAO. They were intelligent, had language ability, and it had nothing to do with being a "second class citizen" in terms if their primary job occupation. They wanted to do something else and foreign liaison duties is what they were interested in.

Quote:
My buddy has a JPAS account....
And what was his role/job when he acquired one?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-10-2012 at 04:12 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #147
M3_POWER

Quote:

And what was his role/job when he acquired one?
He's the Comsec Security Manager for our squadron.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #148
MDydinanM

Quote:
He's the Comsec Security Manager for our squadron.
and there you have it. Acting Security Manager.

SSOs, at least for us, the term was synonymous with say for example, a Battalion S-2 since they took on security manager duties for the unit. They too had accounts.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #149
M3_POWER

Quote:

SSOs, at least for us, the term was synonymous with say for example, a Battalion S-2 since they took on security manager duties for the unit. They too had accounts.
It was pretty cool to watch him checking out my clearance. What surprised me, it also had my clearance when I was in Air Force ROTC. I told him to give me access to a higher clearance. In return he told me no and to GTFO

Last edited by M3_POWER; 12-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #150
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Former Navy MM2 (SS) A-Gang.
7xWDC-MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #151
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:

A Battalion S-2 is almost always not an SSO, they may be an SSR, but not an SSO. The difference is that an SSO can read an individual onto TS/SCI caveats, where an SSR can not. Usually the SSOs are at Division level. At INSCOM they are at BN level there are a few other exceptions. I was an SSO for an INSCOM Army battlion, but it was a very unique case for a specific unit in Denver. 99.5% of the time your BN S2 is not an SSO.

Having JPAS does not make you an SSO. I have filled both of thoes boots

Last edited by vilseck21; 12-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #152
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
A Battalion S-2 is almost always not an SSO, they may be an SSR but not an SSO. The diffrence is that an SSO can read you on to TS/SCI cavets, where an SSR can not. Usually SSO are at Division level, there are a few exceptions. I was an SSO for an Army battlion, but it was a very unique case for a specific unit in Denver. 99.5% of the time you BN S2 is not an SSO.

Having JPAS does not make you an SSO. I have filled both of thoes boots
That's accurate, and appreciate the clarification. But like you said, almost always, and there is that .5% exception. Never said having JPAS makes you a SSO. My experience is similar to yours, where some unique units I witnessed the S2 types as acting SSO, but most of the time it is as what you described with the relationship between Divisions and Battalions. My bad as I used the term SSO interchangeably in this thread.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #153
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
Quote:
That's accurate, and appreciate the clarification. But like you said, almost always, and there is that .5% exception. Never said having JPAS makes you a SSO. My experience is similar to yours, where some unique units I witnessed the S2 types as acting SSO, but most of the time it is as what you described with the relationship between Divisions and Battalions. My bad as I used the term SSO interchangeably in this thread.
Its a common mistake, SSOs are more well known, and most SSR's like to say they are SSOs to make themselves seem more important.

The Fort Carson SSR class is 1 week, when I became an SSO I had to go TDY to FT Mead for 3 weeks. Now that I am back form the Stan, we have to appoint one, and its a pretty crappy job having to do nothing but process Perodic Reveiws

Last edited by vilseck21; 12-10-2012 at 06:30 PM.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote