E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #1521
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
The bolded statements don't make sense.. You don't want cheaply made but your looking at del-ton. S&W is 10000x better then del-ton or dpms or olympic IMO. If you want a reasonably priced good ar15 check out the S&W M&P line. They will probably be your best bang for the buck in the 700-900 range. A little more money and you can get a nice colt for around $1100.
Troy has an ar15 for around $750 but I don't know much about it, maybe somebody else can chime in on it...im hoping they didn't slap their name on complete junk. If it's like other troy products it should be a decent rifle. You can probably build a gun with a BCM upper for around 1000-1200 too which would be good.
I have found building a gun ends up costing a lot more, well in my experience at least.

the troy rifles i've seen are just del-ton rifles with troy accessories.

i agree with building rifles being more expensive. i started throwing together a "budget" rifle with a target of under $1000....but i cant keep myself away from noveske and bcm's websites so now my upper alone is on its way over 1k.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1522
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
If you buy a pre-built upper and pre-built lower, it's sort of defeats the purpose unless you are buying a specific upper for a specific purpose. I.E. you want a precision rifle so you buy an upper with a heavy stainless barrel and free float barrel, and you just need a lower to slap it onto.

Building a stripped lower is pretty simple, and there's not a whole lot to screw up. The one issue is that people don't stake the castle nut on carbines, and I've seen this turn out badly. Building an upper gets a lot more tricky depending on what you decide to put on the rifle. I would be more apt to recommend building a stripped lower and then buying a built upper.

If you wanted to stick with a built lower and built upper, you might as well just get a full rifle. The advantage of a full rifle is that everything on the rifle is test-fitted and designed to interact with everything else on the rifle.

Whatever you decide, understand that there are drastic quality differences across the board, and what you pay can be directly related to what you will get for quality. I could piece together a reliable AR for $800, but it's going to be VERY basic. The problem that you have right now is that the post-election hoard-a-thon has basically made all stock disappear. It's a craps shoot trying to find quality components.
Companies like Del-Ton and Palmetto State Armory use lower grade components, as do DPMS, Bushmaster, CMMG and a slough of others. There are ways to buy budget setups and still get quality components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
The bolded statements don't make sense.. You don't want cheaply made but your looking at del-ton. S&W is 10000x better then del-ton or dpms or olympic IMO. If you want a reasonably priced good ar15 check out the S&W M&P line. They will probably be your best bang for the buck in the 700-900 range. A little more money and you can get a nice colt for around $1100.
Troy has an ar15 for around $750 but I don't know much about it, maybe somebody else can chime in on it...im hoping they didn't slap their name on complete junk. If it's like other troy products it should be a decent rifle. You can probably build a gun with a BCM upper for around 1000-1200 too which would be good.
I have found building a gun ends up costing a lot more, well in my experience at least.

A S&W M&P15 is a far better investment than a Del-Ton.

I would be hesitant to consider the Troy setup. I also don't know a lot about it, but Troy is a good company and the other guns they've previously marketed in-house have been pretty good quality. The issue is that they've authorized Del-Ton and a couple other companies to sell Troy-equipped rifles as a collaborative effort, and I don't hold Del-Ton in high regard. If the in-house proprietary Troy rifle is a wholly different manufacturer or component than with the Del-Ton, it could possibly be a good purchase. I am just very wary of a $750 rifle with that many optional components. It's definitely not going to be a Grade 1 or Grade 2 rifle.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 12-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1523
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
There are ways to buy budget setups and still get quality components.
So how would I go about doing that? If it's basic that's fine, I'll add the rest as I go. I just want a quality shell that I can add to.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #1524
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
So how would I go about doing that? If it's basic that's fine, I'll add the rest as I go. I just want a quality shell that I can add to.
Go to Walmart and buy a Colt 6920.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #1525
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Go to Walmart and buy a Colt 6920.
+1000

It's worth the extra $
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #1526
CollinsE90

So I guess what I'm looking for isn't attainable.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1527
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
So I guess what I'm looking for isn't attainable.
Well, let's back up a moment. What's the purpose of this AR?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #1528
CollinsE90

Quote:
Well, let's back up a moment. What's the purpose of this AR?
Occasional range shooting and possibly hunting, but it'd be very rare.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #1529
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Do you ever feel like you would need to trust your life to it? If you are intent on buying a separate upper and lower with a max budget if $800, and you never need to trust your life to it, this is what I would order when they are back in stock. Order the upper and lower on separate days to avoid the excise tax.

$378 PSA Upper with Charging Handle
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ium-upper.html

$239 PSA Complete Lower
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...c-edition.html

$140 PSA Bolt Carrier Group
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ier-group.html

$55 Magpul MBUS
https://www.primaryarms.com/MagPul_M.../mag248blk.htm

Total of $812 without shipping or transfer charges.

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #1530
CollinsE90

I don't think it'll be my only line of defense. I have an XD40 that would be the ideal choice since I live in an apartment.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1531
CollinsE90

I can get the S&W M&P15 Sport for $621 shipped on slickguns, but I've been told they don't have the firing assist though. Is it a problem?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #1532
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
I can get the S&W M&P15 Sport for $621 shipped on slickguns, but I've been told they don't have the firing assist though. Is it a problem?
Not for your intended use IMO. The sport is a great gun for the money.

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 12-10-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #1533
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Forward assist. No, it's not a problem. It also doesn't have a dust cover, or a chrome lined barrel. Do you need them? Probably not. If you really want to upgrade this, then the chrome lined barrel is nice to have.

I think your question is really "what is the least amount that I can pay for an AR that isn't a piece of shit". You provided a budget of $800, and I think it will be difficult to beat the package that I listed above from PSA. The Sport will be just fine for your stated purposes though.

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-10-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #1534
CollinsE90

Is the sport easy to upgrade? If it isn't, it defeats my purpose. I'm trying to find a cheap start that isn't a POS, that can be a project.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1535
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I have personal experience with the sport. I loved it when I had it...a great value for money. It never jammed on me and it produced better groups with the 5R barrel than my colt does with the chrome lined one. It was super light-weight and felt quality. I never noticed the absense of the forward assist in practice.

As far as upgradabilty, it's milspec and has a milspec tube, so no issues with milspec stocks. It will accept a rail system and the flash hider isn't pinned and welded, so you can swap it out. It also has a top rail for an optic

I sold it to fund another project and because the girl I bought it for really turned out to kick me in the balls. Bad memories and all...but the gun itself was fantastic

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 12-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #1536
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Is the sport easy to upgrade? If it isn't, it defeats my purpose. I'm trying to find a cheap start that isn't a POS, that can be a project.
What do you want to upgrade? If its the stock and handguard, sure, like David said they are standard so that's not a problem.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #1537
CollinsE90

Quote:
What do you want to upgrade? If its the stock and handguard, sure, like David said they are standard so that's not a problem.
Nothing much. Maybe a scope and a rail. Highly considering jumping on this deal now. They wanted $899 at my local armory today.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 12-10-2012 at 09:07 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #1538
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Nothing much. Maybe a scope and a rail. Highly considering jumping on this deal now. They wanted $899 at my local armory today.
You can add a scope and rail with no problem. $899 is, to borrow a word that I just learned from Reedo, recockulous.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #1539
CollinsE90

Ah fvck it, I'll wait until after Christmas and stay updated on slickgun. Saw a PSA expired recently for $699. May land one of those.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/psa...-30-rnds-69999

Last edited by CollinsE90; 12-10-2012 at 09:22 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #1540
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
One question is whether you will trust your life to it. Since you have answered that, the second question is whether one day you will want to start taking any training courses. A basic light training course at your local range is not going to really cause any issues with an "economy" rifle. If you foresee yourself taking more intensive training from a training group like Magpul, Haley Strategic, Larry Vickers, etc, you really do need to look at a higher quality rifle.

If that is not the case, and you are simply looking for just a hobby range plinker, then a PSA setup is likely going to be just fine. I would personally take a S&W M&P15 Sport for that general price range, but you can take whatever option you want.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote