E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #281
bryce-o

My Ride: 330Ci ZHP 3 pedal
honestly, this is a very costly route compared with a $40 o2 sim. i installed my o2 sim in the ecu compartment, wired into the harness. no check engine lights, all monitors are ready, and i saved the $140 or so the innovative costs, plus avoided having to weld in a bung and install the wideband. to each their own, though.
bryce-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #282
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
honestly, this is a very costly route compared with a $40 o2 sim. i installed my o2 sim in the ecu compartment, wired into the harness. no check engine lights, all monitors are ready, and i saved the $140 or so the innovative costs, plus avoided having to weld in a bung and install the wideband. to each their own, though.
Depends on how long you want the "fix" to work. If its just long enough to pass inspection then sure, $40 and done. I prefer to do it right the first time and have to light off instead of driving around with a CEL and constantly checking my codes to make sure nothing else pops up.

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #283
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud View Post
Depends on how long you want the "fix" to work. If its just long enough to pass inspection then sure, $40 and done. I prefer to do it right the first time and have to light off instead of driving around with a CEL and constantly checking my codes to make sure nothing else pops up.
i've had the o2 sim solution for several thousand miles. aggie46 did too, for much longer than me.

on my 135i and 335i, i had a similar o2 sim work for years with no issues, with my catless downpipes.

not sure where all these "facts" come from about an o2 sim being temporary, just to pass inspection.

i've always viewed them as complete solutions, regardless of mileage or # of inspections.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #284
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
For the record, I first attempted an O2 sim but could not get my CEL to turn off. An LC-1 solved the problem that O2 sims could not, at least for me.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #285
bryce-o

well, it's most likely user error. our cars are all wired the same. if installed correctly, an o2 sim will keep the CEL off, allow readiness to be set, and emissions testing to be passed indefinitely. i've never experienced any issues using o2 sims. no CEL, not codes, no problems.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #286
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce-o View Post
well, it's most likely user error. our cars are all wired the same. if installed correctly, an o2 sim will keep the CEL off, allow readiness to be set, and emissions testing to be passed indefinitely. i've never experienced any issues using o2 sims. no CEL, not codes, no problems.
No. No, no no. It has everything to do with typical usage routines and driving styles/habits. Not every car 'adapts' the same.

If you're not here to contribute to the information and discussion initiated by the OP then please leave. I have used both, wired correctly every time, and the O2 sim WILL fail eventually. I don't care if you pretended to be impartial in your first post, you keep following-up with people who did nothing but answer your question, blaming them for not knowing how to wire something in. Yet these are the people who installed LC-1s.

My O2 sim threw codes within 170 miles of driving on highway. In the city, no problem. But any highway trip over 40 minutes and BAM, codes.

A programmable curve output is the only complete solution, period.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #287
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood83 View Post
No. No, no no. It has everything to do with typical usage routines and driving styles/habits. Not every car 'adapts' the same.

If you're not here to contribute to the information and discussion initiated by the OP then please leave. I have used both, wired correctly every time, and the O2 sim WILL fail eventually. I don't care if you pretended to be impartial in your first post, you keep following-up with people who did nothing but answer your question, blaming them for not knowing how to wire something in. Yet these are the people who installed LC-1s.

My O2 sim threw codes within 170 miles of driving on highway. In the city, no problem. But any highway trip over 40 minutes and BAM, codes.

A programmable curve output is the only complete solution, period.
i'm not trolling or trying to be disrespectful. i was just giving my perspective.

i've had 5-6 cars that were catless by modification. on most of the cars, i used o2 sim type devices (electronic resistors wired into the ecu harness). the n54 twin turbo is even more sensitive and hard to fool than the m54/s54 engines. on my 135i and 335i, i never had any issues with a $40 o2 sim. several years, tens of thousands of miles, no codes or issues.

on my e46, i used the same technique. wired in an o2 sim into harness connected to the ecu. so far, about 6k miles with no issues. yes, i have a long commute that's about 50 miles each way, highway miles. yes, i've also gone 330 miles one way (there and back, 650 or so combined) on a road trip in this time frame. no codes or issues.

for the guys that want to be competely thorough, the lc-1 is a proven solution. for guys that have experience with other bmw's outside of the e46, we know that an lc-1 is not necessary to run catless, regardless of driving style, distance driven, or any other factors.

it may be easier and more reliable to just pony up the $ for the lc-1, plus the necessary welding and wideband o2 sensor installation. i was just pointing out that it's not required, that's all.

cheers
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #288
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
I have tested all sorts of o2 "sims" and it comes down to what the DME is looking for. The .650 volts that 99% of most o2 sims produce works on most cars that just look for good operating cat voltage. But when you let off on the gas and go into fuel cut our cars look for the lean signal and how long it took to get it. What is this $40 o2 simulator, tell me more about it. You say it is just a resistor wired to the DME harness, that sounds pretty vague. I have used the LC-1 on a 135i with great results, I don't see how your o2 "sim" worked on that car. I am going to need to see more information before I believe this claim. For $40 I'll buy my own and test it out.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #289
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Why do you need to weld another bung in? You have 2 useless holes in the headers down stream lol

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #290
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
I have tested all sorts of o2 "sims" and it comes down to what the DME is looking for. The .650 volts that 99% of most o2 sims produce works on most cars that just look for good operating cat voltage. But when you let off on the gas and go into fuel cut our cars look for the lean signal and how long it took to get it. What is this $40 o2 simulator, tell me more about it. You say it is just a resistor wired to the DME harness, that sounds pretty vague. I have used the LC-1 on a 135i with great results, I don't see how your o2 "sim" worked on that car. I am going to need to see more information before I believe this claim. For $40 I'll buy my own and test it out.
This is what you need for a $3.00 O2 sim. You solder the resistor and cap in paralel with each other,then wire those as the sensor circuit,leaving heater wires hooked up where they were. This will stop the CEL,but in my experience will not allow post cat signal to be "ready". And after a long trip-100 miles or more,the may throw a code. DD is no problem though. I installed mine on my old 330 just after the connector under the valve cover-cover. Works,but not a 100% solution.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1348332588664.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	470401

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #291
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
This thread isn't about an "occasional check engine light" with headers. This is about a solution, "no check engine light" all monitors passed.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #292
bryce-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
http://www.burgertuning.com/dpfix.html

it's called the dpfix. it's $80 from burger tuning, or $40 from the classifieds on e90post.com/1addicts.com (used). EVERYONE uses that o2 sim on the n54 platforms and have the exact same results as me. no codes. no issues. no pending codes.

people with cobb accessports, vishnu procedes, other flash tunes, and the burger jb4 all know the dpfix works for setting readiness, avoiding codes, and generally speaking is an end-all solution for running catless downpipes on the twin turbo cars.

i have put literally 50k+ combined miles on n54 vehicles with that dpfix. no codes, no check engine lights, even when driving (and coasting) on 330+ mile road trips. 3 different passes on state inspection testing, which in texas, consists of checking readiness on the 7 or so monitors.

for my e46, i purchased a dual bank o2 sim from o2sim.com. installed it the same way as the burger tuning dpfix on my 135i and 335i (wired directly into the ecu harness in the ecu compartment). just like my twin turbo cars, my e46 has been driving substantial mileage with this solution, and on a few longer distance road trips. plenty of driving, coasting, etc. i haven't gotten any codes, pending codes, or any other problems from using the $40 o2 sim from o2sim.com

i'm not knocking the use of the innovative lc-1; it's obviously a proven technique to set readiness and pass inspection. again, i'm just giving my experience on the e46/e82/e90 platforms. wiring an o2 sim into the engine/ecu harness has worked perfectly fine for me, over 3 years, 50k+ combined miles, on 3 different cars.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #293
Bandit4077

Location: San Diego, Bay Area, Mombasa Kenya, Djibouti Djibouti, Dubai, Omaha NE, Aqaba Jordan, Roma Italia, Chicago
My Ride: 330i SuperVeloce
ultimate solution: go to a muffler shop and have them weld in two cats into your mid pipe, 100 to 300 cell should do the trick, then install the bungs at the correct angles. never worry about smog, or lack of performance, no CEL and no problems with the boys in blue, unless you have your car reffed, and they see that you've moved your cats, which in CA is mostly illegal, but this works every time. your O2 sensors do their jobs, your car keeps itself in check, no stupid witchcraft simulators, and no fuel mixture problems. can be don for under 400, which is still way better than paying the 2000+ for a new big name exhaust system with cats. as a gift to yourself, before installing your ebay headers, go ahead and take a dremel to the inside to finish them out.

its the feeling you get when you realized that you have put more money into mods and repairs than have on payments...
Bandit4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #294
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit4077 View Post
ultimate solution: go to a muffler shop and have them weld in two cats into your mid pipe, 100 to 300 cell should do the trick, then install the bungs at the correct angles. never worry about smog, or lack of performance, no CEL and no problems with the boys in blue, unless you have your car reffed, and they see that you've moved your cats, which in CA is mostly illegal, but this works every time. your O2 sensors do their jobs, your car keeps itself in check, no stupid witchcraft simulators, and no fuel mixture problems. can be don for under 400, which is still way better than paying the 2000+ for a new big name exhaust system with cats. as a gift to yourself, before installing your ebay headers, go ahead and take a dremel to the inside to finish them out.
Wow, I can't believe people have been struggling with this for years and nobody ever thought to give this a try. Oh wait, they did... and they still had problems. Unfortunately the issue is more complex than you realize. Perhaps you need to spend a little more time reading old posts.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #295
asb2106

My Ride: 330i
Hi all, I've been lurking around for a few years since buying my 330. usually im very active in forums but the bimmer has been so well documented and easy to find access to.. up till now!

Bandit, Its NOT that simple. aftermarket cats don't work nearly as well as you say. Some cars get lucky with a set, the few BMWs we have tried it on hasn't taken well.

The o2 simulators have worked as well, but after 100 miles or so of continuous driving it almost always would trip the light.

I wanted to say thanks to all those that have contributed and helped here for this solution.

I am familiar with the LC1 system, I have one tied into an HPTuners setup for my GM vehicles and GM engine swapped vehicles.

Genius solution, and honestly im very surprised there isnt more info about it floating around. Usually a good topic, a good fix; is plastered all over the internet. Over flowing amounts of info to get confused in. However with this solution I had seen a few threads that mentioned it, but only this one that actually details the how, and the why.

F1004fun, dpgrand, lkstaack (for your diagram), jonwrong and everyone else, your info has been invaluable and I thank you much for all the work you have put in.

F1004fun, what voltages are you running now, I see back in June you recommended trying some in the 700s, and under .050.. are you still going on those numbers?
asb2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #296
dpgrand

This is my resistor setup. I used thermal epoxy to fasten the resistors to the aluminum which serves two purposes: mounting and cooling. I have been running this setup now for over 30,000 miles with zero problems.

Last edited by dpgrand; 12-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.
dpgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #297
asb2106

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post

This is my resistor setup. I used thermal epoxy to fasten the resistors to the aluminum. The aluminum serves two purposes: mounting and cooling. I have been running this setup now for over 30,000 miles with zero problems.
whats the stats on those resistors? I was going to mount the o2 sensors up there.. but im thinking I could get the resistors working pretty easily as well.

my Aprilia RSVR Factory Superbike for sale - http://goo.gl/1TrCd
my car - http://goo.gl/G9qxy
asb2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #298
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by asb2106 View Post
whats the stats on those resistors? I was going to mount the o2 sensors up there.. but im thinking I could get the resistors working pretty easily as well.
I'm using 50ohm 10watt resistors
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #299
daewon774

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
I'm using 50ohm 10watt resistors
I'll be getting headers installed soon with the LC-1 right after. Did you use any thermal paste that's available? I'm wondering if there was a specific grade you used to make sure those resistors never come off. Which thermal epoxy in particular you use?
Bilstein shocks/struts + H&R springs
Style 71s
Soon to be installed Bimmerbrakes headers + LC1...

daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #300
dpgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon774 View Post
I'll be getting headers installed soon with the LC-1 right after. Did you use any thermal paste that's available? I'm wondering if there was a specific grade you used to make sure those resistors never come off. Which thermal epoxy in particular you use?
Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive. "Thermal paste" is different.