E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #41
phrozen06
Banned User
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,535
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Here is the issue. We have religious TRADITIONS in this country that are getting swept under the rug by the Religious Establishment.
Fixed.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Here is the issue. We have religious TRADITIONS in this country that are getting swept under the rug by secularists.
Swept under the rug by whom? Have you walked into a store lately? They had xmas stuff out before halloween. The airwaves and internet are chock full of xmas campaigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Our nation was founded by Christian men who integrated religious practices into much of the tenants of law and legal practices
Actually quite the reverse. The tenants of law and legal practices came about through "pagan" sources (can you say greece and rome?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Now that we have established that religion WAS accepted by our founding fathers and early politicians, let's look at the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s... Christmas became a national event. Everywhere you went, christmas trees lined stores, merry christmas became a common saying from storekeepers, etc... It was a great way for the NATION to come together regardless of religion. Everyone acted just a little happier and looked out for one another just a bit more. Groups like Salvation Army would have their workers dressed as santa asking for donations to further aid to those who needed it.
I won't speak for the 50's and 60's. But, the 70's and 80's christmas was passe. (It was then that it got its label of xmas, much to the fury of christian leaders). The NATION didn't come together. Families came together for more misery in one month than they had the other eleven. "merry christmas" from shopkeepers and christmas tree lined stores went out of favor not by some "war on christmas" but because the country became more religiously diverse. There were more people of more faiths and a growing number of atheists and agnostics. The shopkeepers turned the merry christmas volume knob down and sales went up. Because "happy holidays" was more inclusive to their customers. Everyone may have "acted" happier, that doesn't mean they were. It was just that, an act. As people became less concerned with "keeping up appearances" of the June Cleaver life, the facade slid. You assume that people are always truthful about what they say and do, especially in public. You know darn well that is a false assumption.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
And now today? My mother can't have a crucifix, tree, or santa on her desk out of fear that a student might complain that he feels discriminated against. Somehow merry christmas is offensive to those who don't believe in Christianity.. Ironically, jewish public schools teachers get away with menorah's in their classroom as that is somehow less offensive.. or is it really just that people don't feel the ability to openly attack Jews as they are a smaller chunk?
I will grant you that is unfair. If a crucifix is banned and menorah needs to be treated the same way. But, I grant you I may be the minority. I fought for the removal of all religious symbols, christian or otherwise, when I was in school in the 70's and early 80's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
This is an attack on Christianity regardless of what Stewart or other pundits would have you believe. The goal is to remove religion from the public eye.. unless of course you're of a faith OTHER than Christian in which you're protected by this notion of "freedom of religion"...
Not from the public eye. Who has proclaimed that churches need to remove their signage? There is a difference between the public eye and the use of public space. But, I have certainly seen plenty of christians who love having their persecution complexes. I guess it makes them feel more like their alleged savior or the so-called apostles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
The "attack on christianity" doesn't bug me.. but what does is this notion that the minority groups (whether it's muslims, blacks, jews, whatever) can get away with just about any negativity towards the majorities (whites, catholics, etc) and the majority groups are just supposed to sit back and take it (affirmative action for example).
So what you are saying is that it sucks and is unfair when you are discriminated against. Well, to the "majorities (whites, catholics, etc) and the majority groups" out there, I can only say this. Payback is a b!tch.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #43
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 537
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Bill O'reily I can't believe some of the sh!t they let him spew on national television.
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #44
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Bill O'reily I can't believe some of the sh!t they let him spew on national television.
eh, Glen Beck was worse. Can't stand that Hannity guy though.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-10-2012 at 08:49 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #45
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cornwallis had his final ass kicking
Posts: 4,889
My Ride: E46 M3
Why anyone allows their lifestyle and happiness to be subjected to religious morals and ruling is beyond me.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Had to turn off the TV... Fox was making more sense than anyone else.

The rest of the world must be laughing at us now. It is so bad slipping to third world status...
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #46
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Why anyone allows their lifestyle and happiness to be subjected to religious morals and ruling is beyond me.
Why anyone allows their lifestyle and happiness to be subjected to morals is a mystery to me.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #47
Scooby24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 371
My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Now that we have established that religion WAS accepted by our founding fathers and early politicians
LOL.

You didn't establish ****.
__________________
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #48
330iPilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 585
My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Why anyone allows their lifestyle and happiness to be subjected to morals is a mystery to me.
Because without them civilization wouldn't exist.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #49
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,027
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
LOL.

You didn't establish ****.
Excuse me? Formally recognized official state religions and prayers said at the offset of every congressional meeting... and that ISN'T ESTABLISHING a religious precedent? Really?
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #50
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Because without them civilization wouldn't exist.
Highly unlikely. It might not be "civilized" according to your morals. But it would be civilization, just much different than what we have today. (which wouldn't be a bad thing)
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #51
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Chase hates countries who follow Islamic Law but welcomes Christian Law because its in alignment with his religious beliefs. Ironicpants.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #52
sea6speed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 1,450
My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Ok fair enough, but why do people then have a problem with a Christmas tree being called a Christmas tree or a nativity scene at a public building. From what I understand we have freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion. I have seen menorahs in government buildings so they are not playing favorites. I watched oreilly where he had that atheist dude on who is crying in rhode island. Now they want all these nativity scenes removed from public areas. This goes back to freedom from. Based in my understanding, any and all religions are free to demonstrate in a public building.
Demonstrating is different from allowing semi-permanent displays on public property, or using public funds to create a religious display. It's funny how some conservatives are perfectly fine diverting public resources toward typical right wing causes, however frivolous they may be.

And let's not kid ourselves. The real reason these displays are banned isn't because of people hating on Christians, it's because true equal access, allowing anyone to set up whatever display they want, would cause an uproar.

See "Skeleton Santa" - some people found it offensive, so rather than try to enforce "legitimate religious displays" Loudoun County opted to ban them altogether.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/we...135070748.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Chase hates countries who follow Islamic Law but welcomes Christian Law because its in alignment with his religious beliefs. Ironicpants.
Yes, just another way Chase demonstrated what a brainwashed tool he actually is. His performance just prior to the election was nothing short of spectacular.
__________________

Last edited by sea6speed; 12-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #53
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Demonstrating is different from allowing semi-permanent displays on public property, or using public funds to create a religious display. It's funny how some conservatives are perfectly fine diverting public resources toward typical right wing causes, however frivolous they may be.

And let's not kid ourselves. The real reason these displays are banned isn't because of people hating on Christians, it's because true equal access, allowing anyone to set up whatever display they want, would cause an uproar.

See "Skeleton Santa" - some people found it offensive, so rather than try to enforce "legitimate religious displays" Loudoun County opted to ban them altogether.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/we...135070748.html




Yes, just another way Chase demonstrated what a brainwashed tool he actually is. His performance just prior to the election was nothing short of spectacular.
I don't agree and never will with government money being used for religious purposes. However, if the majority of a nation are a certain type of people, and they want christmas to be celebrated (btw, christmas is a federal holiday) they should be allowed to put a harmless scene of a bunch of people in dress and some tinsel. It hurts no one unless you are looking for something to pick at. I will never agree. Calling a christmas tree a christmas tree and having a nativity scene of a town building laws is completely harmless.....unless you WANT it to be offensive and need something to attack. Like I said, I'm not christian, but like the friendlyness, decoration, the story, the holiday spirit, etc etc etc. I think those atheists are fascists. "I DON'T LIKE IT" means "YOU CANT HAVE IT."
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #54
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I don't agree and never will with government money being used for religious purposes. However, if the majority of a nation are a certain type of people, and they want christmas to be celebrated (btw, christmas is a federal holiday) they should be allowed to put a harmless scene of a bunch of people in dress and some tinsel. It hurts no one unless you are looking for something to pick at. I will never agree. Calling a christmas tree a christmas tree and having a nativity scene of a town building laws is completely harmless.....unless you WANT it to be offensive and need something to attack. Like I said, I'm not christian, but like the friendlyness, decoration, the story, the holiday spirit, etc etc etc. I think those atheists are fascists. "I DON'T LIKE IT" means "YOU CANT HAVE IT."
And what if citizen(s) which to put up a display in the spring (just about the time of Passover and Easter) honoring the new season and the god Priapus? Should they be able to use the same public display space? Even if some people find it offensive?

A 6 ft tall display of the Priapus in the public square, and let us just see how long it takes those in the "pro-christmas" camp to be offended.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
And what if citizen(s) which to put up a display in the spring (just about the time of Passover and Easter) honoring the new season and the god Priapus? Should they be able to use the same public display space? Even if some people find it offensive?

A 6 ft tall display of the Priapus in the public square, and let us just see how long it takes those in the "pro-christmas" camp to be offended.
Things have to be a matter of taste as well. Having a god with a giant pen0r where kids can see it our society as a whole is offensive. In greece, maybe not. Again, the majority of this nation is christian, and overwhelming majority of people believe in a religion of some form. I don't really hear muslims or jews complaining about the trees and the nativity scenes. I cannot comprehend how someone can find them offensive.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-12-2012 at 08:13 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #56
sea6speed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 1,450
My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I don't agree and never will with government money being used for religious purposes. However, if the majority of a nation are a certain type of people, and they want christmas to be celebrated (btw, christmas is a federal holiday) they should be allowed to put a harmless scene of a bunch of people in dress and some tinsel. It hurts no one unless you are looking for something to pick at. I will never agree. Calling a christmas tree a christmas tree and having a nativity scene of a town building laws is completely harmless.....unless you WANT it to be offensive and need something to attack. Like I said, I'm not christian, but like the friendlyness, decoration, the story, the holiday spirit, etc etc etc. I think those atheists are fascists. "I DON'T LIKE IT" means "YOU CANT HAVE IT."
I have no problem putting it up for a vote and going with what the majority favors. That isn't what's going on here.

You didn't address the issue of setting aside public space for religious displays. Are you for or against using public resources (space on lawns, roofs, lobbys, etc...) for religious displays? And if so, which religions are valid for consideration? Which groups are not allowed to use this space?

And for the record, I got a 10' tall tree and decked my house out with lights, so I'm not banging some anti-christmas drum. Private residence though.
__________________
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #57
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
I have no problem putting it up for a vote and going with what the majority favors. That isn't what's going on here.

You didn't address the issue of setting aside public space for religious displays. Are you for or against using public resources (space on lawns, roofs, lobbys, etc...) for religious displays? And if so, which religions are valid for consideration? Which groups are not allowed to use this space?

And for the record, I got a 10' tall tree and decked my house out with lights, so I'm not banging some anti-christmas drum. Private residence though.
Here is my take on it...

1) Government funds in ANY WAY (including labor to put up the decorations are not allowed to be used) with the EXCEPTION of christmas trees/christmas decorations. Christmas is a federal holiday and an institution in this country. Hell, the white house has 13 trees. The nativity scenes are to be put up by a local church or school, or whatever, with privately raised funds.

2) Decorations are not to be discriminated against based on religion, but a matter or taste. A lamb dangling bleeding from the neck, a pentagram on fire with devil eyes, or Priapus are inappropriate in terms of taste, not religion.

3) Any group can use the public space for their displays. This is my problem. The atheists are acting like fascists. They don't want to put their own stuff up, they are just saying "we don't like this so you cant have it." Are they trying to put up a festivus pole and are denied? If they wanted to put up a giant lit up "A" for a fake holiday they created, they should have the right, since they are also tax paying citizens and the government is here to serve them just as much as it is to serve the christians and the jews. However, this is not the case. I would agree that if a large enough group (I guess a nationally recognized would be a start) wants to put up peaceful and tasteful decorations for their holiday, they should be allowed to.

Again, I'm a jew and have a 10' tall tree in my house. Why? Because I like the way it looks and smells, nothing to do with Jesus.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-12-2012 at 08:49 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #58
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
And what if citizen(s) which to put up a display in the spring (just about the time of Passover and Easter) honoring the new season and the god Priapus? Should they be able to use the same public display space? Even if some people find it offensive?

Erect A 6 ft tall display of the Priapus in the public square, and let us just see how long it takes those in the "pro-christmas" camp to be offended.
ftfy
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #59
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Things have to be a matter of taste as well. Having a god with a giant pen0r where kids can see it our society as a whole is offensive. In greece, maybe not. Again, the majority of this nation is christian, and overwhelming majority of people believe in a religion of some form. I don't really hear muslims or jews complaining about the trees and the nativity scenes. I cannot comprehend how someone can find them offensive.
So this gets back to a matter of "taste". Just like you don't want your kids having to see some "gay guys kissing in public" you don't want them to be exposed to other religions because...HELLO...you might find them offensive. My, my, my...you WANT it to be offensive and need something to attack, when the shoe is on the other foot.

A nativity scene is OK, but, the human form....hell no.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 12-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #60
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
So this gets back to a matter of "taste". Just like you don't want your kids having to see some "gay guys kissing in public" you don't want them to be exposed to other religions because...HELLO...you might find them offensive. My, my, my...you WANT it to be offensive and need something to attack, when the shoe is on the other foot.

A nativity scene is OK, but, the human form....hell no.
You are misquoting me. I said I don't want my kids to see gays kissing in public...I, me, myself. I never said it should be against the law, nor am I doing anything to stop it. I just don't like it. If I see it, I would turn my daughter around and go the other way. The shoe is not on the other foot.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use