E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
A4RingedONE8T

My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
///M Roadster gets Ball Bearings

Roadster was in need of some maintenance so took the time apart to upgrade as well. After 2 years and 40k miles of the car requiring nothing other than regular oil changes, was time to replace some worn parts. The heat from the turbo being right on top of the plastic valve cover finally took it's toll and cracked it. While it was apart I replaced the valve cover and gasket, changed plugs, and new fluids. Removed the old Precision journal bearing PT74 and replaced it with a GT4094R, .82 a/r T4. The Garrett turbo sit's a little closer to the manifold and only had a 2.5" outlet vs 3" on the 74 so had to redo the hot side charge pipe. Also took the time to redo the upper portion of the downpipe to a little smoother flow and also to give the valve cover and engine cover a little more space. With the new turbo, it's a whole new car. Spool is significantly better as I anticipated and the car pulls harder and longer boost for boost with the old turbo. Car is tuned on the stock DME by Nick G., I was worried about the tune being off but a/f still seems spot on at all instances. One of these days when I get around to it I'll pay Nick a visit and have him touch up the tune. Maybe I'll bring him a built motor in it next time too =D

Until then, here's some pictures during the turbo swap and some pictures I took today after I got it cleaned up

Enjoy!

-Shawn-

Oil change for the bike this weekend too

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
so $ick, bro
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
zurus

My Ride: .
any videos?
zurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Looks good.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
AAblown

My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
you should have shown the exhaust on the R1 you fab'ed as well. that was real nice
Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
A4RingedONE8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
you should have shown the exhaust on the R1 you fab'ed as well. that was real nice

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Are you using solid engine mounts ?

Looks like the turbo has little room until it hits the chassis aswell, kinda the problem im having right now.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
AirFrcd

My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Nice car.

What's the status of Trevor's car?
Philippians 4:13

AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
A4RingedONE8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
Are you using solid engine mounts ?

Looks like the turbo has little room until it hits the chassis aswell, kinda the problem im having right now.
No, I replaced the mounts with new OEM ones when I built the turbo setup a few years ago. Don't have any issues as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFrcd View Post
Nice car.

Thanks. I posted an update last week in Trevor's thread. I do all the fabrication at Lutz, I'm not the only one here ... Andrew, one of the owners, is working with Alpha, the pro-efi tuner, and someone else in the business to iron out the changes needed to the stock DME. I know what's going on and give input to the steps from here till the end but I'm not the one putting in the time on it now, I'm just getting started on our next fabrication project, the E46 I posted the thread for this past week.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

-Shawn-
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
lutzperformance
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3, 04 Z06
Send a message via AIM to lutzperformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFrcd View Post
Nice car.

As Shawn has posted, we are working very hard to get the Pro-efi to work with the factory DME, as we experienced very similar issues HPF had, with DSC faults among others.

However we are working with some very experienced minds on the factory DME side, and should have some results shortly. We will keep you guys updated as we can.

Thanks!

-Andrew
lutzperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Mroadster2vegas

My Ride: 2000 BMW M Roadster
Amazing setup. You made that s52 into a wicked beast. I'm in the process of turbocharging mine and any tips would help. (I used to have several turbo Miatas that I built myself but BMWs are whole different ball game.
Mroadster2vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
Mroadster2vegas

Oh, one more thing. I was referred here by aaBlown to PM "Shawn." But which Shawn? I did a member search and there are a bunch of Shawns. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
lutzperformance
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3, 04 Z06
Send a message via AIM to lutzperformance
By Shawn, he's referring to the OP.

Thanks!
lutzperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Oh lawd
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
Mroadster2vegas

A4RingedONE8T, by the way, when going turbo, how is the mass airflow sensor issue handled? Do you extend the wiring and have it in place in front of the turbo intake, or is there some computer trickery involved?

And is there enough room to run a simple cast manifold, like the ones made by godspeed, which would place the turbo rearward?

Thanks for the info. I love your setup. Our roadsters are even the same color. And I too had dual front splitters like you, but Arizona claimed one of them on my drive from San Diego, CA to the F1 race in Austin, TX. It was the middle of the night and I didn't see a thing, the winding road was just a patchwork of black and grey and all I heard was a loud bang, then a little later the sound of the splitter finally giving up the ghost and passing underneath my car. All that was left was the central support bar hanging onto a little shred of carbon fiber. Whatever it was took out the brake ducting on that side too (passenger side).

Thanks.

Last edited by Mroadster2vegas; 12-11-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Missed something.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
Mroadster2vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzperformance View Post
By Shawn, he's referring to the OP.

Thanks!
Pardon my forum lingo ignorance, how might I contact Shawn the OP?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Mroadster2vegas

A4RingedONE8T,

I also noticed that your wheel wells are not the stock M Roadster ones, the ones with the brake ducts, as well as the intake tube on the driver's side (not needed in this application, obviously), but is there any particular reason you switched to different wheel wells? Just wondering.

See, I'm just looking for all the help and wisdom I can get with this turbo project. I used to be a Mazda guy with a couple of Miatas that I turbo'd myself, ground up, but those seem like a cakewalk compared to turboing an S52. Those engines (early Miata 1.6s) were made to be turbo, as they were in the 323 gtx. Piston oil squirters, sealed off oil feed and return points for the turbo, the lot. I ran TD04Hs on those, but I'm going with a T3/T4 on this car.

I'm not looking for the 500+ whp you pulled off, just a nice round 350, see how that feels and then maybe step up to 400.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
A4RingedONE8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroadster2vegas View Post
A4RingedONE8T, by the way, when going turbo, how is the mass airflow sensor issue handled? Do you extend the wiring and have it in place in front of the turbo intake, or is there some computer trickery involved?

And is there enough room to run a simple cast manifold, like the ones made by godspeed, which would place the turbo rearward?

Thanks for the info. I love your setup. Our roadsters are even the same color. And I too had dual front splitters like you, but Arizona claimed one of them on my drive from San Diego, CA to the F1 race in Austin, TX. It was the middle of the night and I didn't see a thing, the winding road was just a patchwork of black and grey and all I heard was a loud bang, then a little later the sound of the splitter finally giving up the ghost and passing underneath my car. All that was left was the central support bar hanging onto a little shred of carbon fiber. Whatever it was took out the brake ducting on that side too (passenger side).

Thanks.
MAF placement and if one is even retained will depend on what your plan is for tuning. None use the stock variant. Some tunes will require a draw through MAF, usually the 803 Porsche MAF. A few use a blow through MAF, typically a Ford MAF, but each tuner uses something a little different. My car was tuned by Nick G. using his own blow through MAF setup. It's on the cold side intercooler piping, you can just see it in a few of the pictures above.

There are a few different cast manifolds that are perfectly acceptable for a bottom mount setup. Not sure I'm familar with the one you mentioned, have a link?

Quote:
A4RingedONE8T,

I also noticed that your wheel wells are not the stock M Roadster ones, the ones with the brake ducts, as well as the intake tube on the driver's side (not needed in this application, obviously), but is there any particular reason you switched to different wheel wells? Just wondering.

See, I'm just looking for all the help and wisdom I can get with this turbo project. I used to be a Mazda guy with a couple of Miatas that I turbo'd myself, ground up, but those seem like a cakewalk compared to turboing an S52. Those engines (early Miata 1.6s) were made to be turbo, as they were in the 323 gtx. Piston oil squirters, sealed off oil feed and return points for the turbo, the lot. I ran TD04Hs on those, but I'm going with a T3/T4 on this car.

I'm not looking for the 500+ whp you pulled off, just a nice round 350, see how that feels and then maybe step up to 400.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!
Your car is S52 (98-00) or S54 (01-02)? S52 Roadsters and Coupes did not come with the brake cooling ducts from the factory, only the S54 cars. My fender liners are the original ones the car came with, they are trimmed up a little on the outer edges so they don't rub the wheels/tires but other than that are completely stock.

I wouldn't use a standard T3/T4 budget turbo. SC61 if you want to stay most budget friendly or a GT35R if you want ball bearing would be the smallest I'd use, even if you're looking for lower power goals to start.

Quote:
Pardon my forum lingo ignorance, how might I contact Shawn the OP?

Thanks.
You can post here, PM me, or email shawn@lutzperformance.com
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
A4RingedONE8T

Figured I should add some water lines too.

After 2 years and 35k miles boosted with the old turbo, it only took a week with the new quicker spooling turbo and my rear end FINALLY gave up it's first few spot welds

Getting married this weekend and will be out of town until the holidays but when I come back it's time for more upgrades! Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement, Ireland Engineering Urethane subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, Ireland Engineering rear camber kit, Rogue dual ear diff cover, and I have a set of the newly redesigned Ground Control adjustable rear shocks to replace the old version adjustables I currently have. Once the rear end is beefed up it's time for some more power finally

Thanks for the comments everyone!

-Shawn-