E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #81
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Used both. I like iPhone better.

Android is just too buggy and too much crap out there in market. Also being open source people can get into the phone quite easily. You can imagine how much trouble it can be if others can access your phone.

On the other hand apple OS is tightly put. Not much of security threat.

In terms of hardware, it's a smart phone. Both will have differences and purpose.

I have used all the iPhone models till date and used Htc g1, my touch 3G, 4g and sg3. Now I using iPhone 5. User friendliness and tightly coupled OS is what iPhone has the edge over any android devices.

I am a tech whore and would love to exploit the vulnerabilities of android. I write android code and use apple as my primary phone. To me, it just comes down to what I'd want to use and which one is easier.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #82
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaN_the_MaN View Post
If your going to get the S3, just wait for the Nexus 4. Quad Core with 4G(S3 runs Dual Core on Verizon/AT&T) and no contract needed to purchase the phone .

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/
Again OP is switching to Verizon, and LG Nexus 4 is not compatible with Verizon.

The matchup should be between iPhone 5 and HTC Droid DNA.

Last edited by b0bab0i; 12-12-2012 at 11:16 AM.
b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #83
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
About the sg3 why is an alternate choice wrong here?

Ask friends with sg3s and they're happy.

Hardware wise I'd agree the iPhone is prettier and more robust but functionality is another issue which I find so limiting about the iPhone.

Look at your phone.

You don't know what is going on just at the lock screen

What emails did u get?

SMS message waiting?

Facebook message?

Notifications are still a huge weakness. They're intrusive.

Android tells you more.

Microsoft has it down even better.

Let's hope iOS 7 fixes these issues.
its a lock screen. imo i dont need all that info. i tried that when my iphone is jailbroken but i find it to be annoying more than useful.

it comes down to the OS and i think iOS is more polished. if you have both, just look at similar apps in both platforms, iOS simply works and looks better.
bry330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #84
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Hate towards the iPhone cult in the early days was somewhat merited. The only bragging right of the iphone was the operating system... in terms of tech specs, it was a solid year or two behind the leading smartphone providers. Today, things have changed.
The hardware situation still hasn't changed much. Apple still adopts new tech a year or 2 after its been around to "fine tune" it. The ip5 made more progress than those before it though IMO.

What's changed the most is software. Android has gone from being a slow, buggy joke to being on a level field with iOS with some extra features packed in for good measure. In that same span of time iOS hasn't changed much. It started out good (unlike android) but today it's still just that: good. I think Google is just trying harder at this point. They don't make any money from Android, so there's really not much risk involved for them like there is for Apple, who makes most of their money from this stuff. I think that's why you see Apple being so conservative with their products and Google not so much, taking more risks.

In my case, neither iOS or stock Android really do everything that I want, but with Android I can root it and unlock the bootloader to get a whole lot more flexibility. My situation is not typical though lol. I need to be able to tinker with everything I own basically, and Google wins out here by far. Sure it works pretty good out of the box, but there's always ways it can work better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #85
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Doesn't have LTE, and has paltry storage capacity. Why not the RAZR Maxx HD or One X+?
OOps

Last edited by DaN_the_MaN; 12-12-2012 at 11:22 AM.
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #86
bry330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
The hardware situation still hasn't changed much. Apple still adopts new tech a year or 2 after its been around to "fine tune" it. The ip5 made more progress than those before it though IMO.

What's changed the most is software. Android has gone from being a slow, buggy joke to being on a level field with iOS with some extra features packed in for good measure. In that same span of time iOS hasn't changed much. It started out good (unlike android) but today it's still just that: good. I think Google is just trying harder at this point. They don't make any money from Android, so there's really not much risk involved for them like there is for Apple, who makes most of their money from this stuff. I think that's why you see Apple being so conservative with their products and Google not so much, taking more risks.

In my case, neither iOS or stock Android really do everything that I want, but with Android I can root it and unlock the bootloader to get a whole lot more flexibility. My situation is not typical though lol. I need to be able to tinker with everything I own basically, and Google wins out here by far. Sure it works pretty good out of the box, but there's always ways it can work better.

u have to do all that to do what you want. goodluck with that OP.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #87
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post

Your situation? What is this, a matter of life and death? Work dependency? It's a phone for god sakes.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #88
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
I have an iphone 5.

Everything about it is so beautiful: the design, the size, the screen size, the interface, the touch sensitivity, the speed + LTE, the lightness of it. It is so damn elegant.

BUT.... it bores me. Same ol same ol IOS. I want it to like suck my d or something
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #89
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Your situation? What is this, a matter of life and death? Work dependency? It's a phone for god sakes.
Dude, seriously? Calm down iOS advocate. LOL! He explained his situation clearly. He likes to tinker, and enjoys the relative flexibility of a rooted phone. Not everybody wants to tinker, so iOS (..or stock Android for that matter) is fine for them. Relax!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #90
bry330i

i agree with iOS getting a bit boring, but in the end of the day it does what you want.

i made my nexus 7 all pretty with a different icon sets, different launchers. ended up slowing it down so bad, had to go back to stock. lol
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #91
dava92

My Ride: 01' Jetta
dava92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #92
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
What are you doing on a car forum? It's just a car for gods sake. Just get a corolla and call it a day. Why do you need a ZHP?

Why the hell does Chase mod his car so much? Work dependency? Matter of life and death?

Why do people cafe so much about sports? It's just a game for gods sake.

Etc. Etc.

People have their hobbies/pastimes, you have yours. Trying to put someone else's down makes you look foolish.

jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #93
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Ask friends with sg3s and they're happy.
I have 3 friends, all of which were iPhone users since the original in 2007. When the iPhone and SG3 were released, all 3 of them bought the SG3 because they claimed they were 'tired' of iOS and wanted something new. Within a week and a half, all of them returned their galaxy phones and replaced them with iPhone 5s.

They all cited differing reasons, but in the end most of them just wanted the high quality fit and finish of the iPhone 5 back in their hand in addition to the simplistic functionality of iOS.

I find almost every complaint voiced by Android fanatics regarding the iPhone to be moot. You can't customize the iPhone as much? I never had a desire to do so to begin with, plus I would spend hours wasting time with themes and icon packs. You can't remove the battery? Good thing Apple uses incredible batteries that I have never had a desire to remove. The screen isn't as big as the new samsung phablet? Don't even get me started, I have a few pairs of jeans that my iPhone 5 barely fits in the pockets of.

As I have previously stated, I prefer my devices to work as good as they're ever going to work right out of the box. No one can even come close to Apple in this regard. I have zero desire to switch to an Android phone/tablet, the quality just isn't there for me.

Not to mention, if you look at the numbers, iOS is actually a revenue generator for Apple. The same cannot be said for Android because people with iOS actually use their device for tasks other than phone calls and sms messages

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 12-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #94
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I have 3 friends, all of which were iPhone users since the original in 2007. When the iPhone and SG3 were released, all 3 of them bought the SG3 because they claimed they were 'tired' of iOS and wanted something new. Within a week and a half, all of them returned their galaxy phones and replaced them with iPhone 5s.

They all cited differing reasons, but in the end most of them just wanted the high quality fit and finish of the iPhone 5 back in their hand in addition to the simplistic functionality of iOS.

I find almost every complaint voiced by Android fanatics regarding the iPhone to be moot. You can't customize the iPhone as much? I never had a desire to do so to begin with, plus I would spend hours wasting time with themes and icon packs. You can't remove the battery? Good thing Apple uses incredible batteries that I have never had a desire to remove. The screen isn't as big as the new samsung phablet? Don't even get me started, I have a few pairs of jeans that my iPhone 5 barely fits in the pockets of.

As I have previously stated, I prefer my devices to work as good as they're ever going to work right out of the box. No one can even come close to Apple in this regard. I have zero desire to switch to an Android phone/tablet, the quality just isn't there for me.

Not to mention, if you look at the numbers, iOS is actually a revenue generator for Apple. The same cannot be said for Android because people with iOS actually use their device for tasks other than phone calls and sms messages
I will agree that the fit & finish of the iPhone5 is really nice, the size is "perfect", and the OS runs very smoothly. I thought my Google Nexus S ran smoothly until I got an iPhone5, and the SGIII was just too big for me to stomach (..so I can't really comment on long-term operation; that screen is beautiful though). In that regard, the iPhone5 is clearly superior. With that said, Apple needs to release the reins a bit. Allow me to bluetooth connect to a PC. Allow me to customize the OS layout a bit more. Allow me some additional freedom with my phone. Like I said in another thread, if the iOS was the end all, the jailbreak community wouldn't be so prominent. It isn't without its flaws!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #95
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
I see this constantly

>.....Where did born again go??? sucha hater lolol
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #96
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I will agree that the fit & finish of the iPhone5 is really nice, the size is "perfect", and the OS runs very smoothly. I thought my Google Nexus S ran smoothly until I got an iPhone5, and the SGIII was just too big for me to stomach (..so I can't really comment on long-term operation; that screen is beautiful though). In that regard, the iPhone5 is clearly superior. With that said, Apple needs to release the reins a bit. Allow me to bluetooth connect to a PC. Allow me to customize the OS layout a bit more. Allow me some additional freedom with my phone. Like I said in another thread, if the iOS was the end all, the jailbreak community wouldn't be so prominent. It isn't without its flaws!
I have numerous close friends who are into jailbreaking their iPhones and rooting their android phones. Every now and then they show me a cool new feature that slightly impresses me, but so far, I have never seen one modification that I simply had to have on my phone. In the end, I feel most of the gains netted from either jailbreaking your iPhone or rooting your Android are negligible. I honestly believe Apple did an almost perfect job with iOS and the iPhone itself. I let Apple do the modifications and tweaking for me and I have zero complaints. Like I said before, I just want a device that works, so I have an iPhone.

I'm also very tired of the the hardware debate that people use against Apple when discussing their computers and their phones. People always bitch about how Apple has the same or lesser hardware for a much higher price. First of all, I don't care about the price. I will pay almost any price for the phone I want. Same goes for my MacBook, I don't care that I spent almost $3k on it. I love it and I almost consider that an investment. Second, the hardware and it's speeds mean almost nothing when we're talking about an Apple product because Apple understands resource management. They realize you don't need a battery draining quad core CPU on your phone when you can do the same with a dual core as long as you design the OS to make the best and most practical use of the resources available. My friends would always talk about their CPU speeds and whatnot and it never phased me. I remember in 2004 you could get a desktop with a 3.6ghz CPU, but I'd be willing to bet my almost 3 year old MacBook with a 2.53ghz i5 will outperform it.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #97
M3Inline6

Quote:
I have numerous close friends who are into jailbreaking their iPhones and rooting their android phones. Every now and then they show me a cool new feature that slightly impresses me, but so far, I have never seen one modification that I simply had to have on my phone. In the end, I feel most of the gains netted from either jailbreaking your iPhone or rooting your Android are negligible. I honestly believe Apple did an almost perfect job with iOS and the iPhone itself. I let Apple do the modifications and tweaking for me and I have zero complaints. Like I said before, I just want a device that works, so I have an iPhone.

It's a subjective argument, and there are no right or wrong perspectives. What is negligible to you - like free tethering - may be significant to others. Neither iOS nor Android have all of the native capabilities that people look for.........hence jailbreaking and rooting.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #98
bry330i

i can tether on my iphone 5 without jailbreaking.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #99
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
It's a subjective argument, and there are no right or wrong perspectives. What is negligible to you - like free tethering - may be significant to others. Neither iOS nor Android have all of the native capabilities that people look for.........hence jailbreaking and rooting.
I fully subscribe to the Steve Jobs tenet that the consumer has no idea what he/she wants until you show it to them.

Also, my iPad does free tethering via Wifi, bluetooth or the USB cable.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #100
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Dude, seriously? Calm down iOS advocate. LOL! He explained his situation clearly. He likes to tinker, and enjoys the relative flexibility of a rooted phone. Not everybody wants to tinker, so iOS (..or stock Android for that matter) is fine for them. Relax!
I'm not really riled up... seems like you are. I was poking fun at his dramatic wording... not advocating an operating system.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote