E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Think0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 237
My Ride: 05 AW M3
school me tire sizes grip handling square v staggered

I've seen so many threads that have a lot of information on tires from brand to sizes and best results on X type of racing and most are usually about 1/4 dragging or 60-130 pulls or some form of straight line street/(mexico) racing, etc. I'm looking for the Ideal tire size that will give me grip (turbo m3) can be driven on street/track hpde type events and if caught in the rain wont send me flying into a wall while just trying to make it back the garage.
I have another set of wheels/tires for normal driving conditions but as my m3 isnt my daily driver and when pulled out will be spirited driving or track events when will i ever use these wheels? Which is why I decided to post this up. Below are the details of my current rims as well as questions additional questions.

Wheels: CCW LM20 18x9.5 18x11 for too long I've seen too many people use their classics for stanced cars (i'm one of these people except for using lm20s) and never seen anyone really use these wheels on the track. Whats the reason for this? If anyone can shine some light I'm totally open to learning something I didnt know and will consider another wheel if there's some logical reasoning behind it. Obviously this setup is staggered and seems not to be the recommended setup to run, THIS also arises many questions.

Staggered M3 v Square M3? What are the pros and cons of this for someone as myself considering my goals and type of driving the car will be subject to.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read my post and contribute useful information to this thread. My car is about to be built and I'm trying to pick up the right items first so this post will definitely be the deciding factor in my future purchase.
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
mkodama
Registered User
 
mkodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33,171
Friction = (Coefficient of friction) x (Normal Force)

translates to:

Grip of your tires = (how sticky your tires are) x (how much force you are pressing down on the tire)

Also, the more pressure you put on rubber, the coefficient of friction drops very lightly. This is why if you have a lighter car or wider/taller tire, you get a little more grip, but the difference is small compared to the difference of tire compound.

You have a big heavy street car, so your best bet is probably going to be fitting the largest and stickiest tires you can inside your wheel wells. Your handling will then be tuned with your suspension and alignment. Your CCWs should be fine for both the application and their size.
__________________

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Think0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 237
My Ride: 05 AW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Friction = (Coefficient of friction) x (Normal Force)

translates to:

Grip of your tires = (how sticky your tires are) x (how much force you are pressing down on the tire)

Also, the more pressure you put on rubber, the coefficient of friction drops very lightly. This is why if you have a lighter car or wider/taller tire, you get a little more grip, but the difference is small compared to the difference of tire compound.

You have a big heavy street car, so your best bet is probably going to be fitting the largest and stickiest tires you can inside your wheel wells. Your handling will then be tuned with your suspension and alignment. Your CCWs should be fine for both the application and their size.
Sweet this is all music to my ears thus far I was thinking 295/35 but didnt want to purchase until i get some feedback. I'm not looking to grab a mallet and wack away at my m3 because i bought tires without knowing
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Grande D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 3,353
My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Square will give you the "most grip" all things equal- that is if you maximize size. I know people run 285/35/18 square on an E46 M3. I don't know about bigger than that without fender modifications.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
bwallace530
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,866
My Ride: 325
One thing also I didn't see it on hear is you can't rotate staggered
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Think0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 237
My Ride: 05 AW M3
So I've narrowed my search down to Toyo proxes R888 based on all the google searching (vette/mustang forums offer a lot of great input on tires btw) and now I'm left to decide sizing. Originally I was looking for 295/35 18s for my 18x11 wheel however, R888's only come in 295/30 OR 285/35 OR 305/30 I was a perfect fit finish without having to mod or bang at my baby with a mallet! Also theres a significant price between these sizes as well so I'm looking to for some insight on what size is the best bang for buck. Also what would be a proper size for the front wheel 18x9.5 based on which X rear size I go? I'm assuming theres certain staggered tire sizes that wont work properly and in return I'll have a horrible handing m3
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,503
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
The greater the difference front to back the more understeer you will have.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________
InDiGlOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
mkodama
Registered User
 
mkodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think0rz View Post
So I've narrowed my search down to Toyo proxes R888 based on all the google searching (vette/mustang forums offer a lot of great input on tires btw) and now I'm left to decide sizing. Originally I was looking for 295/35 18s for my 18x11 wheel however, R888's only come in 295/30 OR 285/35 OR 305/30 I was a perfect fit finish without having to mod or bang at my baby with a mallet! Also theres a significant price between these sizes as well so I'm looking to for some insight on what size is the best bang for buck. Also what would be a proper size for the front wheel 18x9.5 based on which X rear size I go? I'm assuming theres certain staggered tire sizes that wont work properly and in return I'll have a horrible handing m3
The best way is to look at the tire manufacturer's specs for approved rim sizes, and to use http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to find a comparable diameter tire.

Other tire options:
-Nitto NT01
-Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
-Bridgestone RE-11
-Michelin Pilot Cup
__________________

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Think0rz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 237
My Ride: 05 AW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
The best way is to look at the tire manufacturer's specs for approved rim sizes, and to use http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to find a comparable diameter tire.

Other tire options:
-Nitto NT01
-Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
-Bridgestone RE-11
-Michelin Pilot Cup
thanks for the reply I'm going with 265 front & 295 rears shopping for the best prices now so i can order my set exciting time!!
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
95silverM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 527
My Ride: 05' IB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think0rz View Post
thanks for the reply I'm going with 265 front & 295 rears shopping for the best prices now so i can order my set exciting time!!
Good to hear! Any pics and info on your current set-up ie. turbo, CCW offset and suspension? would love to see pics of fender clearance in the rear as well..
__________________

sold&missed

S54 Block & Crank in hand ::evilface::

Teddy
Eurotechniks
95silverM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
m3 turbo drag tires ccw

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use