E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #101
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
The iPhone has faults but ill take it over anything else for one simple reason....it fits in my hand so much better....my previous phone was a thunderbolt...now it was bigger and it killed me I love my iphone....dunno personal preference.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #102
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I fully subscribe to the Steve Jobs tenet that the consumer has no idea what he/she wants until you show it to them.

Also, my iPad does free tethering via Wifi, bluetooth or the USB cable.
I'm exactly the opposite. I know what I want, and I'll buy whatever product that comes closest. When I first bought a smartphone, I wanted LTE, so the iPhone was immediately out of the running (year and a half ago). Next, I wanted at least 4" screen. I think 4.5" is really the sweet spot for my hands. I also wanted navigation and tight integration with the Google services I was using. It was a pretty easy choice, and since then I've found more features that ensure I'll be sticking with my choice.

The reason I rooted in the first place was to bypass Verizon's $20/month fee for tethering. They include tethering at no charge on new plans, but I'm still on the old unlimited data plan. This was used for my internet access at my old apartment. Killed two birds with one stone: unlimited mobile data and home internet access for $30/month lol. But back then their LTE was at least 2x faster here than it is now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #103
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I'm not really riled up... seems like you are. I was poking fun at his dramatic wording... not advocating an operating system.
I only get riled-up on certain anti-cop threads.....otherwise, I truly don't care. You iPhone and Android zealots can continue to hash it out.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #104
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
androids are for pigs

Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #105
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
androids are for pigs

M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #106
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I'm exactly the opposite. I know what I want, and I'll buy whatever product that comes closest. When I first bought a smartphone, I wanted LTE, so the iPhone was immediately out of the running (year and a half ago). Next, I wanted at least 4" screen. I think 4.5" is really the sweet spot for my hands. I also wanted navigation and tight integration with the Google services I was using. It was a pretty easy choice, and since then I've found more features that ensure I'll be sticking with my choice.

The reason I rooted in the first place was to bypass Verizon's $20/month fee for tethering. They include tethering at no charge on new plans, but I'm still on the old unlimited data plan. This was used for my internet access at my old apartment. Killed two birds with one stone: unlimited mobile data and home internet access for $30/month lol. But back then their LTE was at least 2x faster here than it is now

You depend on your phone for internet at home? You couldn't pay me to do that.

And as far as you knowing what you want, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Before smartphones took the stage, consumers had no idea what was coming next and no one in the mainstream came out and predicted that every one of us would soon be inseparable from our smartphones. Sure, you know what you want when given an array of options, but with a blank slate, I think the story would be much different.

In addition, I find Apple's iCloud service much more intuitive and easy to use in comparison with googles counterparts. I cut gmail out of my life completely in 2009 and I don't miss it at all.

Lastly, I have no qualms with AT&Ts LTE. It consistently demolishes my VZW LTE iPad.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 12-12-2012 at 03:40 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #107
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
You depend on your phone for internet at home? You couldn't pay me to do that.

And as far as you knowing what you want, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Before smartphones took the stage, consumers had no idea what was coming next and no one in the mainstream came out and predicted that every one of us would soon be inseparable from our smartphones. Sure, you know what you want when given an array of options, but with a blank slate, I think the story would be much different.

In addition, I find Apple's iCloud service much more intuitive and easy to use in comparison with googles counterparts. I cut gmail out of my life completely in 2009 and I don't miss it at all.

Lastly, I have no qualms with AT&Ts LTE. It consistently demolishes my VZW LTE iPad.

I did use LTE for my internet months ago, now I split comcast with a room mate. It worked fantastic when I did use it though saved me several hundred dollars too.

I understand what you mean with a blank slate, but I still have my own ideas about what products I want to buy that aren't out yet, and plenty of new things that are for sale are pointless for me. Sure some surprises may come around, but I doubt that will happen for a while. Smartphones and tablets are still reaping huge gains from Moore's Law as they catch up to desktops and laptops in performance capabilities.

iCloud may be intuitive, but it lacks deeply in the functionality that I've gotten used to with Google. It was a smart move on their part bringing the cloud to their own ecosystem, but it's not going to be pulling me away from what I've already got. And besides that, Google's is perfectly intuitive to me.

AT&T's coverage here is poor. No LTE, and their 3g is as slow as Verizon's. When I say Verizon's speed is only half of what it was before it was congested, I mean now it's only 5 or 6 times faster than AT&T here, rather than 10 or 12. My gf is making the switch too as soon as her contract is up. Too many times she had to use my phone to look something up or make a call lol.

jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #108
mdsonicTT

My Ride: 3rd gear
picked this up today:

Last edited by mdsonicTT; 12-18-2012 at 02:37 AM.
mdsonicTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #109
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Walmart is having a sale on iPhone 5 for $127 with 2 year contract. So if you guys are going for iPhone 5, this is a good price.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #110
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Walmart is having a sale on iPhone 5 for $127 with 2 year contract. So if you guys are going for iPhone 5, this is a good price.
How does the discount work? I look it up on their website and it's only $50 off which would make the 16GB model $149. Best Buy has the same discount. I am considering this but I also want to sell/trade my BlackBerry Bold 9700 (I have two) to further reduce my acquisition costs. Don't think Walmart or Best Buy will do that.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #111
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
How does the discount work? I look it up on their website and it's only $50 off which would make the 16GB model $149. Best Buy has the same discount. I am considering this but I also want to sell/trade my BlackBerry Bold 9700 (I have two) to further reduce my acquisition costs. Don't think Walmart or Best Buy will do that.
Not sure about the trades but they are selling the iphone 5's for $127.
Couple of days earlier when I travelled to Kansas City, MO I saw it in their store.
I guess it is store only deal.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walma...st-127-2012-12

I already bought mine and my fiancÚ's for full price, so I was pissed a bit. But just wanted to share the information here who are looking for a good deal on the same.