E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #41
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 456
My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
because Loyola is a private religious institution that can choose who to give charity to under what circumstances and at whatever time they choose, and this person received a direct donation from a family member with a matching organ.

If only more people volunteered their organs for direct donation, the waiting list would be a lot shorter. But they don't.

And don't think your organ donor status means much. Do you know how hard it is for that to actually come in to play?
FWIW, I am an organ donor.
__________________
"The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, someone to love, and something to hope for."....Joseph Addison
--------------------
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
FWIW, I am an organ donor.
Same here. No sense in being selfish if I'm dying/dead. If I can help someone in need, might as well.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #43
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,072
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
FWIW, I am an organ donor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Same here. No sense in being selfish if I'm dying/dead. If I can help someone in need, might as well.
After my dad's death, it really surprised me how stringent the organ donation process is.

It's not like if you die peacefully at home, or in a car accident, or in 99% of all the ways to die, that they just cut out what they need and give them to others.

It's an extremely narrow window that has to be hit in order for your organs to be viable for donation.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #44
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 810
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
After my dad's death, it really surprised me how stringent the organ donation process is.

It's not like if you die peacefully at home, or in a car accident, or in 99% of all the ways to die, that they just cut out what they need and give them to others.

It's an extremely narrow window that has to be hit in order for your organs to be viable for donation.
I read a book called "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" a few years back and it talks about all of the various uses a dead body can be put to if it is donated....outside of the typical thought of your organs going to some poor, dying kid with cancer.

A persons body can go to things like:

-practice cadavers for medical schools
-human crash test dummies
-An experiment at the "body farm" to analyze decay rates so as to help CSI/forensics practices
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #45
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,072
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I read a book called "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" a few years back and it talks about all of the various uses a dead body can be put to if it is donated....outside of the typical thought of your organs going to some poor, dying kid with cancer.

A persons body can go to things like:

-practice cadavers for medical schools
-human crash test dummies
-An experiment at the "body farm" to analyze decay rates so as to help CSI/forensics practices
that's all separate from the "organ donor" tag on your driver's license, which is separate from tissue donation. But I've never heard of human crash test dummies. Seems like that'd be a lot messier than necessary.
__________________

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 12-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #46
Scooby24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 371
My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Arguing healthcare as a human right is as asinine an argument as it gets. For healthcare to be a human right, it would require service to be provided at no cost to the patient or the taxpayer. At best, a no cost healthcare option must be deemed as a public service, not a human right.
__________________
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #47
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 810
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
that's all separate from the "organ donor" tag on your driver's license, which is separate from tissue donation. But I've never heard of human crash test dummies. Seems like that'd be a lot messier than necessary.
Huh....I read that book a while back, but if I'm remembering correctly your body can go to any number of places by simply ticking the organ donor tag (like the ones I mentioned above).
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #48
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,492
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Your continual use of "this card" is really annoying. Any time you get caught with your hand in the proverbial cookie jar, you just play this "oh sawwwwwy massstaaa me jusssa black folk" card.

Grow up Brotha
You're telling me to grow up?
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #49
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,018
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
You're telling me to grow up?
Yes. I am.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #50
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,072
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Huh....I read that book a while back, but if I'm remembering correctly your body can go to any number of places by simply ticking the organ donor tag (like the ones I mentioned above).
organ donor tag is strictly heart, kidneys, liver, lungs. They need to be harvested from a living body.

My dad went into the hospital on a Thursday after having fallen and having severe bleeding inside his skull. After surgery to help alleviate the swelling, and having no signs of improvement, I put in a DNR order on Saturday.

On Sunday, Jerri Rose from the organ donation society came to us to discuss donation options, since he indicated that he wanted to be an organ donor. Basically, there were two possibilities: wait 24 hours to see if brain death occured, in which case they would be able to consider the above mentioned organs for donation, or remove all care now, move to an OR, and wait to see if cardiac death occured within a set time frame (I believe it was 4 hours), in which case only the heart would be viable.

Those were the only two cases in which organ donation would be possible.

Shortly after death, tissue donation is possible, this covers pretty much everything else: eyes, skin, and anything else they may be able to use. This also turned out to be not possible, as he died the monday as hurricane Sandy was coming through, and none of the donation organizations would have been able to get to him.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #51
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W
Posts: 7,492
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Yes. I am.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #52
Act of God
E46Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 333
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Why don't we condem the republican leaders who have illegals as housekeepers? That came out during the republican debates. LOL.
Condemn away

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...12-12-14-18-16
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Robert Menendez employed as an unpaid intern in his Senate office an illegal immigrant who was a registered sex offender, now under arrest by immigration authorities, The Associated Press has learned. The Homeland Security Department instructed federal agents not to arrest him until after Election Day, a U.S. official involved in the case told the AP.

bwaaaaa hhahahahah
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use