E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #41
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
glad to see it worked out for you, that wine adds a lot
Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #42
JJR4884

Updated recipe, unfortunately i have 2 pics that I will update later, but they really don't show much. By far the best recipe I ever went with.

Ingredient list

1 lb pasta, i used Garafolo Calamarata pasta, see here http://www.avantisavoia.com/image/st...s/60012_v1.jpg
28oz can of San Marzano, tomato puree, i ended up using 2/3rds of the can
1/2 can of 10.5 oz Beef Stock
2 celery stalks
2 carrots
1 large yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
Couple tablespoons of half & half
Freshly grated horseradish
Salt and Pepper to taste

Meat:
2 beef short ribs, had the butcher cut the meat off the bone and had is grounded up, keep the bones! 1.1 lb total weight
3/4 lb ground veal
1/2 lb ground pork

In a cast iron pan, put all of the meat and the two bones in, med-high heat, seasoned liberally with salt only. Cook for about 30 minutes or so. You want this to get to a point where the meat browns really good on the bottom, you scrap it all off with a wooden spoon, and repeat every 5 or so min. The ground meat turns gray when it is cooked, you want this meat to be cooked to the point where most of the little ground up bits are a dark brown. There should be no moisture in the cast iron other than the fat from the short rib meat. The bones should cook long enough where you will see the marrow start to come out. After about 30 min, i took the bones out, they were done, and I kept on stirring and browning for a few min more. This part is crucial, you want that dark brown color. The smaller each bit of meat is, the better.

After you put the meat in the cast iron, work on the veggies. Celery, carrots, and onion all chopped up well in a stainless steel pan, med heat, also seasoned well with salt (i use kosher.) Add a tablespoon or two of EVOO, and cook. The veggies you want to turn out the same way. You want them browned well. Don't burn them, but they should cook for a solid 20 minutes or so. Drizzle some EVOO if you feel it is starting to burn a little on the bottom of the pan, I think I added a little drizzle twice. Within the last 5 min, add the garlic, and saute. When everything is browned properaly, add that half can of beef stock to loosen everything up, and then pour it directly into a blender. Blend until it is a paste almost. Add some red wine to that empty stainless steel pan, cook off the rest of whatever is in that pan, and then let rest. Add the "paste" back to that pan.

In the meantime, add a half bottle of dry red wine (my go-to wine for cooking is Mondavi Woodbridge Merlot, dry, cheap, works well) to the meat in the cast iron, and cook that off for a good 5 min. Clean off all the little bits off the bottom of the pan, and then pour all of that in the stainless steel with the veggies. Mix well, add about 2/3rd can of the tomatoes, and cook for an hour, covered.

After an hour, bring down to a simmer and just let it stay like that until you are ready to serve. Add a couple tablespoons of half & half, not much... don't turn it into a pink sauce, just a tad. Salt and Pepper to taste... do this now, don't salt at the beginning since the flavors change a LOT through the cooking process.

Mix a few latels worth of the bolognese with the pasta until evenly coated. Top each dish off with another spoonful or two, and then sprinkle some grated fresh horseradish over the pasta instead of Parmigiano Reggiano, you will not be disappoint.

tl;dr means you must be new here, and you have no idea who i am

///condescending pompous exiting speech

Last edited by JJR4884; 12-13-2012 at 01:29 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #43
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I need to cook some of your recipes while I'm off this month. This one sounds great.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #44
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I need to cook some of your recipes while I'm off this month. This one sounds great.
I'll tell ya, last month i made one and basically used the same ingredients (minus the shortribs and celery)

Cooking the meat and veggies separate, and cooking the meat to smithereens until it is almost 100% caramelized.... same with the veggies, makes ALL the difference in the world. Like.. it amazes me that two dishes with the same ingredients taste so much different. veggies you want to brown tho, not caramelize. The onions should not be over the top sweet.

That ground short rib was key tho. The flavor from that meat and the marrow oozing out cannot be duplicated. Next time I am going to do it even better. Bone marrow with the ground short ribs, veal, some pancetta, and if i can, ground venison/wild boar. Something a little gamy to give it that ultra rustic flavor. If i do that, i'll probably toss it in a casserole and bake it as well with some fresh mozzarella on top.

mmmmmm
Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #45
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
brb, booking a plane ticket to come eat at your place. Mind if my wife and two kids come? They love pasta.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #46
JJR4884

i fvcking hate kids

fine
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #47
pointman

My Ride: .
Which canned tomato did you use? There are a million options! Thanks.
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #48
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Which canned tomato did you use? There are a million options! Thanks.
San marzano tomatoes, tomato puree
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #49
pointman

My Ride: .
Nice. Thanks!
pointman is offline   Reply With Quote