E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Elephant1

My Ride: E30, E36, E46, E39
M54 ZHP motor/trans into '99 323i

I've got a '99 323i 5spd and a buddy has a 2004 330 ZHP that he's pulling the motor/trans from. I had no intention of doing a motor swap but if I can get the motor locally cheap (and the 6spd trans) I might as well consider it. But what is involved in this?

He planned on keeping the DME for the project he's working on so I'd be short that. I would get the wiring harness and the complete engine, trans, & driveshaft, just would be missing the DME. I have a 3.38 diff already (though it's just an open diff for now).

So what is involved? I'll need a DME I presume...what about instrument cluster?

Thanks for any help. Cheers.
E39 540 6spd (wrecked, parting out)
E36 M3 (for sale as roller/race car project)
Elephant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
You can use ur DME. Just have to do some Custom stuff and etc...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Elephant1

What is the custom stuff? TBW I assume is one.....that's why I'm thinking it'd be easier to do the correct dme. I still have plenty of research - and time fortunately - before this is a concern but I want to understand it. I was hoping I sent the first to try this, and I guess I'd be surprised if I were.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
If you want to use the correct DME, you'd either need to get one with a matching EWS, or get your EWS and keys synced with the new DME (RPM Motorsports can do this)
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Elephant1

If that's all I need to worry about then no problem, that's cake. I have no problem picking up a used DME and having it all sync'd up. What about ABS....any interaction there? Instrument cluster? I'm used to E30 and E36 swaps where all that stuff is separate of the engine for all practical purposes.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant1 View Post
If that's all I need to worry about then no problem, that's cake. I have no problem picking up a used DME and having it all sync'd up. What about ABS....any interaction there? Instrument cluster? I'm used to E30 and E36 swaps where all that stuff is separate of the engine for all practical purposes.

Cheers.
Hard to say for sure, but I think it'll be okay. If you were using an MS43, the electronics would definitely be fine. The MS45 is a bit of an unknown. Theoretically it should work fine -- the signals didn't change format, and the ABS controllers all communicate in the same language so to speak... but since the MS45 arrived late enough that it was never used with the early ABS controllers, it's hard to say with any certainty that you won't have issues.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-23-2012 at 05:34 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
only thing you may have difficulty with is the wiring
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | BMW Individual Black Birch |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
If you want to use the correct DME, you'd either need to get one with a matching EWS, or get your EWS and keys synced with the new DME (RPM Motorsports can do this)
That is horrible overpriced company based in Victoria Canada. I had hard time getting my refund

Last edited by HakenTT; 01-23-2013 at 03:03 AM.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:

Cheers.
Hello there, I have the same car as you and I did 2006 S54 swap. Not sure if CSL has MS45 ecu or MS43. Anyway, so far no one has ventured into it that much. You won't be able to get it work, you will be in "limp mode". MS45 required CAN comunication with ABS, Cluster, sterring angle sensor... and much more. Don't waste your time.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
That is horrible overpriced company based in Victoria Canada. Stay away from those guys, they will rip you off
Know anyone else that can sync a used DME with a used EWS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Hello there, I have the same car as you and I did 2006 S54 swap. Not sure if CSL has MS45 ecu or MS43. Anyway, so far no one has ventured into it that much. You won't be able to get it work, you will be in "limp mode". MS45 required CAN comunication with ABS, Cluster, sterring angle sensor... and much more. Don't waste your time.
1999 323i is an E46...

M54B30 should be more or less a direct swap, and almost all of the wiring is already in place if he uses the MS43 ECU. Only wiring he'd have to add is for the electronic pedal.

ZHP did come with the MS45... but he can run it off an MS43 just fine. The ECU should be able to adapt to the (slightly) hotter cams. He could raise the rev limiter to 6800 if he wants. And if he really wants, he could try tuning the base maps to accommodate the hotter cams

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-31-2012 at 03:09 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Elephant1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

M54B30 should be more or less a direct swap, and almost all of the wiring is already in place if he uses the MS43 ECU. Only wiring he'd have to add is for the electronic pedal.

ZHP did come with the MS45... but he can run it off an MS43 just fine. The ECU should be able to adapt to the (slightly) hotter cams. He could raise the rev limiter to 6800 if he wants. And if he really wants, he could try tuning the base maps to accommodate the hotter cams
Bringing this up again, have found a few threads of people doing the same thing I'm trying to do...'cept they don't provide much detail. Couple questions if anyone knows.......

1. I'd much prefer to NOT use TBW set up and stick with the manual 323i pedal. However, does that mean I'm stuck with the 323i TB? I'm not familiar enough with the TB's to know and I don't have the 330 TB yet.

2. So ABS is not a concern here? I plan to ditch the ASC, car has no AC already (and won't, it's a track car), not concerned about EWS or security other than the car must start and run). Hopefully this limits the pain of all the wiring disparities I will face.

I'd love to simply run my current 323i DME (which has a Conforti Shark Injector tune), especially if it simplifies things. But I'm concerned about not being able to take advantage of all the power available. I might be willing to lose a little for the sake of less complexity but I'd definitely want to understand this.

Thanks for any input, I'll definitely document this for others once I get going on it.

Cheers.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
E46Enthusiast20
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2008 135i M-Sport
I swapped the 3.0 ZHP motor from my dads totalled sedan years back. DME tune to the motors factory specs and presto. 3 years and running strong. I have a 2001 325 so it was a tad easier. No messing with the throttle nor DSC.

My hellrot sedan thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...382&highlight=

Last edited by E46Enthusiast20; 03-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.
E46Enthusiast20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Bringing this up again, have found a few threads of people doing the same thing I'm trying to do...'cept they don't provide much detail. Couple questions if anyone knows.......

1. I'd much prefer to NOT use TBW set up and stick with the manual 323i pedal. However, does that mean I'm stuck with the 323i TB? I'm not familiar enough with the TB's to know and I don't have the 330 TB yet.

2. So ABS is not a concern here? I plan to ditch the ASC, car has no AC already (and won't, it's a track car), not concerned about EWS or security other than the car must start and run). Hopefully this limits the pain of all the wiring disparities I will face.

I'd love to simply run my current 323i DME (which has a Conforti Shark Injector tune), especially if it simplifies things. But I'm concerned about not being able to take advantage of all the power available. I might be willing to lose a little for the sake of less complexity but I'd definitely want to understand this.

Thanks for any input, I'll definitely document this for others once I get going on it.

Cheers.
M54 and M52TUB is basicly the same exact long block. So what do you want to do exacly?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
///Mpower3357

My Ride: 00' 323i
Sounds like u want to know if u can adapt the TB or entire head to the zhp longblock? Also, Ive heard of 3.0's running on 2.5 dme. Tuning would maximize ur gains tho
///Mpower3357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Elephant1

So in simple terms, I have a '99 323i and have access to a low cost 2004 ZHP motor and 6spd trans. I want to put that into my car.....how hard is this? I've heard/read everything from wiring issues to DME/security, ABS, etc....all major issues. But then I've heard that it's as simple as dropping it in, swapping to the 323 throttle body and using the 323 ECU/wiring and you're good to go. My thought is that if I simply drop the motor in and swap back to the 323 TB using all the stock 323 electronics and wiring I'm going to give up something, even if it is just that easy.

So first question.......is it just that easy to drop it in and hook up various 323 stuff to use all stock electronics/wiring? If so, what am I giving up powerwise...no way it's free. This a track car only so I don't have AC, don't care about it. I don't care about EWS or security except that car obviously needs to start and run properly. I'm removing the ASC so I don't care about that either. If it's easier I'm much prefer to keep the 323 "maunal" throttle pedal but am willing to switch if that's better, need quantification of what "better" means though.

Hopefully that's more clear. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Elephant1

No further comments?

Tags
m54 into 323/328, m54 to 323/328 swap