E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #41
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
TC bushing and CSB are being replaced as I write this. We had a pretty big snow storm last weekend and the shop didn't get fully plowed out until later Monday and are pretty far behind still.

I should be picking the car up tomorrow and should know more then. Sorry, not ignoring this topic, the damn car has been at the shop since last week Tuesday trying to get this figured out.
Right on! Waiting on the update, especially curious since you changed the TC bushing cause mine is in rough shape and I am considering doing it if it helps this issue out

Last edited by jeepo23; 12-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #42
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
^So you have a bad TC mount and are waiting to change it because you want to see if it gets rid of a vibration that some guy on the internet posted about? Do you think that by ignoring a failed component it will fix itself? You didn't immediately order a TC mount when you found it to be in rough shape?

I haven't seen a bad CSB on an xi, but I assume that's caused by driving around a car with a bad TC mount. You shouldn't need to touch the CSB on a BMW that's not an e39 540 for at least 200k miles. Unless you drive around with failed mounts.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #43
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
^So you have a bad TC mount and are waiting to change it because you want to see if it gets rid of a vibration that some guy on the internet posted about? Do you think that by ignoring a failed component it will fix itself? You didn't immediately order a TC mount when you found it to be in rough shape?

I haven't seen a bad CSB on an xi, but I assume that's caused by driving around a car with a bad TC mount. You shouldn't need to touch the CSB on a BMW that's not an e39 540 for at least 200k miles. Unless you drive around with failed mounts.
Correct. Nah I figured there is no repair faires coming around to fix stuff so I'll let it be. But I didn't order it because at the time I was doing the work it was cold (Canadian climate) and ordering it would of taken 2 weeks (Canadian shipping process) . I was a bit on a time constraint but I will certainly get to it now (Spring 2013).

So you think it would do the trick Kubica?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #44
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
For those following along, car is back from the shop and the CSB and more importantly transfer case bushings have made a difference, but its still sort of there. After a frank and open discussion with the guy working on my car we think the biggest problem is I'm too damn picky and about 80-90% of what I'm feeling could very well be simply normal noise from an E46 BMW. Basically they have checked everything with the exception of pulling apart the diffs and transfer case and simply can't find anything "wrong" at this point. Both the shop and I agreed at this time I might as well drive it and see it anything gets worse and either makes itself known or fails, at that point we know what's up

Had my friend take a ride tonight (his first in this car) and basically he said I'm nuts, he hears and feels nothing unusual and that its a great running and driving car.

So here we are. I'm confident I'm overly picky, car checks out fine and I'm only $610 OTD lighter this time, not bad for a valve cover gasket, plugs, transfer case bushing and CSB. After putting almost 100 miles on it since picking it up this afternoon all I can say is I love this car and will just have to live with the odd feeling.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #45
wvBimmer3Series

My Ride: '92 318ic, '01 325xi
[QUOTE=miweber929;14981408]For those following along, car is back from the shop and the CSB and more importantly transfer case bushings have made a difference, but its still sort of there. After a frank and open discussion with the guy working on my car we think the biggest problem is I'm too damn picky and about 80-90% of what I'm feeling could very well be simply normal noise from an E46 BMW. Basically they have checked everything with the exception of pulling apart the diffs and transfer case and simply can't find anything "wrong" at this point. Both the shop and I agreed at this time I might as well drive it and see it anything gets worse and either makes itself known or fails, at that point we know what's up

Had my friend take a ride tonight (his first in this car) and basically he said I'm nuts, he hears and feels nothing unusual and that its a great running and driving car.

So here we are. I'm confident I'm overly picky, car checks out fine and I'm only $610 OTD lighter this time, not bad for a valve cover gasket, plugs, transfer case bushing and CSB. After putting almost 100 miles on it since picking it up this afternoon all I can say is I love this car and will just have tod live with the odd feeling.[/

Did you ever have the Guibo replaced?
wvBimmer3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #46
miweber929

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series View Post
Did you ever have the Guibo replaced?
According to the shop the guibo is in great shape and the symptoms I was describing and feeling are different than a failing or bad guibo.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #47
wvBimmer3Series

Okay, thanks, I'm planning to have at least the TCB & CSB replaced and wasn't sure if I should have the Guibo replaced at the same time or not. My '01 xi has 126k on it now.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #48
miweber929

Know I'm not the original owner of this car and the PO may have replaced it at one time. It's a wear item and you can visually tell if its bad so you may want to look at it or have one on hand just in case.

As far as install it has to be removed to pull the driveshaft out anyway, no additional labor is needed to replace it; my shop had some in stock or could get it in a day so I never bothered to order as he sells me parts at wholesale regardless.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #49
wvBimmer3Series

Well, I'm working with an independent shop out here in the boonies so no chance of having one "in stock". Ha

Thanks for the info! I've only had this car for 3 months & have put only 2k miles on it, no idea of previous maintenance history.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
jeepo23

Quote:
Well, I'm working with an independent shop out here in the boonies so no chance of having one "in stock". Ha

Thanks for the info! I've only had this car for 3 months & have put only 2k miles on it, no idea of previous maintenance history.
If your doing your CSB and TCB might as well spend the $50 on the GUIBO.. it's 6 bolts considering your going all this effort to replace the CSB your right by the GUIBO so might as well change it.

I ordered a tc bushing and plan on doing it hopefully in the new year. We'll report back with results!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #51
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
If your doing your CSB and TCB might as well spend the $50 on the GUIBO.. it's 6 bolts considering your going all this effort to replace the CSB your right by the GUIBO so might as well change it.

I ordered a tc bushing and plan on doing it hopefully in the new year. We'll report back with results!
That's kinda what I was thinking too about the Guibo. Yep, post your results!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #52
jeepo23

Quote:
That's kinda what I was thinking too about the Guibo. Yep, post your results!
Yah it's a straight forward process, the guibo. Just ensure the arrows are pointing the proper way when you mount it up. The arrows indicate also which way your bolt goes through.

The trickest part on that is getting exhaust removed if its never been done cause there is a chance the bots snap and I guess their a bitch to remove..
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #53
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
If the exhaust bolts look really bad go to a Midas or other muffler shop. They have guys that are really good with torches and can blast the bolts right out and cause no damage to the 02 senors. I sent cars there and they did a great job for little money.

Last edited by bmwbob89; 12-17-2012 at 06:16 PM.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #54
wvBimmer3Series

Why is the Flex Disc called a Guibo anyway?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #55
SlimE46

My Ride: 330xi e46
Hey guys just an update here. Had a bmw technician at my job take a look. Of course the one day i have a tech look at my car IT DOESNT MAKE THE NOISE OR VIBRATIONS.... He drove it around and suggested to change the transfer case fluid. We did and i didnt hear or feel anything for about two days. Then it came back but ts no where near as bad or as frequent. Still not solved though.
SlimE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #56
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE46 View Post
Of course the one day i have a tech look at my car IT DOESNT MAKE THE NOISE OR VIBRATIONS.....
Isn't that what always happens?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #57
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
Quote:
Why is the Flex Disc called a Guibo anyway?
Giubo is a contraction of the Italian word giunto ('joint' or 'coupling') and the surname of the Italian engineer who designed and patented the first flex disc, Antonio Boschi (b1896-d1988)[2]. He later founded GIUBO SpA, a company solely dedicated to manufacturing flex discs.[3]. The giubo, today well known in automotive use, is believed first to have been used for this purpose on the Alfa Romeo model 1900, produced between 1950 and 1959.
From Wikipedia

Last edited by bmwbob89; 12-18-2012 at 05:54 PM.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #58
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
Giubo is a contraction of the Italian word giunto ('joint' or 'coupling') and the surname of the Italian engineer who designed and patented the first flex disc, Antonio Boschi (b1896-d1988)[2]. He later founded GIUBO SpA, a company solely dedicated to manufacturing flex discs.[3]. The giubo, today well known in automotive use, is believed first to have been used for this purpose on the Alfa Romeo model 1900, produced between 1950 and 1959.
From Wikipedia
Interesting stuff, thanks!