E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same exact thing The dash holder in the red circle. Our cars in the US don't have this...

OP, you sir have a very clean and nice 330CI
I know I don't see why its so hard to put in the U.S. models
Old 12-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #22
God_speed

My Ride: '06 330Ci, GT-R Nür
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
I chickened out instead of gunmetal and got hyper silver same as yours but I'm glad I did they look amazing!

And that cubby underneath the light dial beside your steering wheel
Make sure you throw up some pics when you get them mounted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same exact thing The dash holder in the red circle. Our cars in the US don't have this...

OP, you sir have a very clean and nice 330CI
Cheers mate!

What do you guys have here instead? I know on the E38s our Euro version cars had a slimmer kneepad / under-dashboard panel whereas the US spec cars had a noticably bulkier kneepad panel. Mustve been due to crash regs.

Oh and my cubby latch is broken, it's held closed with blu-tack lol

Last edited by God_speed; 12-16-2012 at 05:31 AM.
God_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
God_speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
I chickened out instead of gunmetal and got hyper silver same as yours but I'm glad I did they look amazing!

And that cubby underneath the light dial beside your steering wheel
Hyper Silver gives you the best of both worlds. Mine are like Gunmetal right now as they're covered in a thin film of brake dust
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
18" V718s are a great choice for the E46.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
HKS007

My Ride: BMW 330 ci

Hey guys, first forum post!

@ God_Speed, your car looks awesome! i have the 04 330ci with the same colour combos and M Sports II package. Currently sitting on 17' M Double spoke rims which i think makes the car look more dated than it is.

I've been looking at VMR and tossing up between 18 or 19. Sounds like you're in Aus? I know there's a local brand GTC that makes CSL style rims but only come in 19s and i don't want it to rub.

Do you have any issues with rubbing at all, especially with a heavy load in the car?

I note the rim width is larger than the BMW recommended specs so am a little curious. They look great though. I'm thinking gunmetal.

Appreciate any advise guys!
HKS007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
God_speed

Hey mate, welcome!
Thanks, and yeah the V718s made a huge difference to the look of the car over the M double spoke 17"s, which aren't a bad design in themselves but because the spokes don't go all the way to the edge of the rim, and also the offset is very passive (a lot of tuck under the guards) it does look dated. Here's mine when I bought it.

I am in Sydney as well. I have left my suspension as-is, and don't have any issue with scrubbing in normal driving over bumps or rubbing of wheel liners, except; if I go over a decent dip (e.g. at an intersection) at some pace (but I almost always drive like a Nanna over dips and speed humps anyway) or travelling quickly into a compression. Then I get a mild scrub on the rear tyres. The other situation is if you're 3 or 4-up with passengers, it will scrub a bit more, in the same circumstances I described, or when negotiating driveways even slowly.

Both rim width and tyre width (correspondingly) are wider than the 18" MV2 spoke that was optional on our cars, being 9.5" wide at the rear, but to me with that offset it looks perfect and the scrubbing is so rare I think it's worth it. The MVII's look so much better than the 17"s but they are still a bit in-board at the rear IMO.

So your car is black? Would be great to see how gunmetal looks on it

Last edited by God_speed; 04-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #27
God_speed

I forgot to add that, while I can't say I've ridden in or driven a 330Ci M sport with 19"s, I was definitely considering the 19" option, but with our Sydney roads the way they are, and I've already got a weekend car so this is my 'daily', I still wanted a comfortable ride. The 18"s don't look at all small IMO (because importantly, they fill the guards) and they still offer good ride. Tyres are also cheaper. It did mean I had to source them overseas though, because as you say Tempe and a few others I found locally only sell the CSL reps in 19".

Also make sure you look at each wheel you're considering closely, there is a thread somewhere here on all the difference CSL reps and there are subtle differences between them. Mine are V718 which have an extra flange detail around the edge, unlike the CSL rim. The VMR rims to get for the CSL look are the VB3s, but I didn't want to get CSL reps in a smaller size - I either wanted a similar cross spoke look in 18", like either the V710 7-spoke or V718 8-spoke that I got, or go the whole 9 yards and get the VB3 full CSL look in 19".

Last edited by God_speed; 04-22-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
HKS007

@God speed. Thanks for all the info! So in summary you have no issues with your 18 inch set up excpt occasionally if you go over speed humps and/or with passengers in the car and driveways? I think i can live with that

Good that you pointed out your wheels are V718, i was looking at V703. So V718 is basically the CSL look with more concave? Your point about the original CSL rims are 19s is also a big reason why i've been looking at 19s.

Re 18 v 19, it seems the rim width are the same for 18/19 so is the issue then, not in that 19s will rub more than 18s but that the ride will be less comfortable and more succeptable to rim damage?

I say this only becaus the GTC - GT CS which only comes in 19s, is quiet a bit cheaper than the VMR and i don't have a wait a month! I've seen that wheel in dark anthrascite on a friend's silver e46 couple and it looks really good, but he did a lot to his car (CSL body kit, lowered) and he says there's a bit of rubbing with more people in the car.

There is also a GTC - GT CX which comes in 18' but i'm not quiet sure i like the look.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
HKS007

Btw... you weekend car is an R34?!?

Respect
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
God_speed

Haha, Thanks mate

Yeah, no issues really except for 4-up over dips and rollover gutters / driveways. I could probably also go 10mm narrower on my rear tyres for more 'stretch' and they would rub even less.

The other thing you should obviously check is the offset. I'm not sure what the GTC brand offers in the way of offsets but all the VMR wheels should have the same offsets as each other.

Shouldn't be any difference in rubbing between 18s and 19s if offset is identical. Much also comes down to tyre brand. The Contis are a little bit 'round' at the edges and this helps a little, some tyres have a squarer shoulder.

With the GTCs I'd also ask how much they weigh - I've listed my weights in my original post here. It does make a difference to acceleration, ride and handling!

Also ask your mate if he's had any issues with the anthracite paint; I've not had any issue with mine, but have read just the odd report on here about the paint or clearcoat wearing on the CSL reps.

The V718s have a great amount of concave - particularly on the rear of course but even the wheel centres on the fronts "fall in" to the hub quite a lot, and I like that look over the "flatter" rims out there.

My only complaint is they are a b**ch to clean, and the rim edge which is perpendicular to the direction of travel picks up road tar and the centrifugal force makes it stick to the rim. Neither is the fault of the wheels.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #31
HKS007

Thanks mate, all good tips. I'll keep you posted on how i go.

What brand are your tires btw? I've got the option of Kumhos for about $800 (18s) or Michellin Super Pilots for about $1250 (conti contacts 3 on them now).

Off to a tangent, my back and front right speakers stopped working. Mechanic said the radio unit was broken and apparently it outputs power to the amp (i've got the harmon kardon package). New radio unit is $1,100 from BMW or $500 for a 10 year old radio from a wrecker! devastated.

Mechanic found someone that might be able to fix it for ~$400, but he's had it for a week now, hopefully he'll have it fixed! Had the airbag indicator light replaced by BMW for $800 just a few months ago.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #32
God_speed

Good stuff. Make sure you post up in the Australia section mate, with some pics of your ride and your modifications!

Mine are Conti Sport 3s. Bought them new from Tempe, I think I paid around 1600 or just a bit under for a set of 4. Have heard good things about the new Michelin SPs I believe.

Don't know if your mechanic is really the best source for audio diagnosis? I only say this because I took my old E38 to a mechanic I trust and have used for years to try and sort out crackling in the speakers, and he had the door cards taken off, speaker wires re-soldered, etc etc. It was actually the aftermarket amp that needed replacing.

Do you mean the head unit? Which type do you have?