E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

View Poll Results: should firearms be banned/regulated?
Yes 11 6.51%
Fvck No 100 59.17%
There should be more regulations but not taken away completely 36 21.30%
I dont care 4 2.37%
I agree with JonJon 18 10.65%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra



i will make the assumption that the OP is for breed specific legislation and is pro life as well.
__________________

Last edited by Sentaruu; 12-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #22
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,759
My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
You're an idiot. It's a simple argument because its a simple answer. No, citizens should not be able to own assault rifles.
What is an assault rifle and what makes them so scary to you? And you cant just walk into a shop buy an automatic weapon and leave ($4000 is about the cheapest plus a 6-12 month wait an ak 47 or m16 is $20k ish) they aren't being used in crimes...i think there's only been 2 murders siNce the 1930s with registered legal machine guns(250000ish legally registered and owned)

The problem is the crazy focking evil people. There is no way to stop them they will always find a tool to carry out their goals. Look at 9/11 who thought crazy evily bastards turned a plane into a weapon/bomb.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
I am not going to waste hours arguing here but an "assault rifle" is not any more dangerous than any other gun 99% of the time.

An AR15 is a much smaller bullet than any hunting rifle. The fact that it is not bolt action makes it quicker to shoot, but there are tons of hunting rifles that are semi auto and not an "assault rifle." A reload takes 5 seconds. In addition, one could easily just carry 5 hand guns and empty each of them.

The fact is, if you are winning to die to kill others, the weapon choice is not going to matter. How hard would it be to floor your car into a crowd a people? Pipe bomb in a mall? Walk into a small store full of people and chain the door shut and start a fire with gas and lighter? etc.

300,000,000 guns and 300,000,000 people in the US. As terrible as these shootings are, have you heard of 300 deaths in the last five years? That would be .0001%

150 people per year die from peanuts.

Guns are not the problem, people are.

Quote:
According to data compiled by Grant Duwe of the Minnesota Department of Corrections, guns killed an average of 4.92 victims per mass murder in the United States during the 20th century, just edging out knives, blunt objects, and bare hands, which killed 4.52 people per incident. Fire killed 6.82 people per mass murder, while explosives far outpaced the other options at 20.82. Of the 25 deadliest mass murders in the 20th century, only 52 percent involved guns.


Hundreds of other mass murderers have perpetrated their crimes without firearms. Frenchman Pierre Riviere killed his mother, sister, and brother with a bill hook in 1835. In 1932, Julian Marcelino, a Filipino immigrant of relatively small stature, managed to kill six and wound 15 on a Seattle street using only a pair of blades.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 12-16-2012 at 08:11 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #24
Stankia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 55
My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
As a Libertarian I believe people should do whatever the fuck they want
__________________
DOGE Crew
Stankia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #25
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,470
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Someone saying "assault weapons are the problem!!!"

I immediately know they are idiots and have no clue.

You are a product of the media and politicians fear mongering

Hands and feet kill more people every year than long guns, "assault weapons", etc

Lol.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member
 
HiHoBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,113
My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
You know my views about guns. I am wondering if anyone here can defend the idea of citizens being about to buy and possess assault rifles in light of the latest in an unending string of tragedies involving firearms?
As a Connecticut resident,'in light of the latest in an unending string of tragedies involving firearms' I have not seen an assault weapon used. I do know that having seen these tragedies that bad things can happen to good people. Being good people myself,I want every variable to be slanted in my favor for the sake of my own survival and well being. I also want the ability to protect and defend myself from people who are not capable or willing to act responsibly. That means carry firearms and use good judgement with respect to where I am and what is going on around me. Especially since criminals commit crimes more often than noncriminals,I feel there is no need for a knee jerk reaction to gun control.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
__________________
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post

Also, an AR-15 round is a glorified .22 caliber round.
Glorified in a sense that the velocity is extremely high because the casing is packed with a sh!t ton of gun powder. .223 is brutal.
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,818
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
for now...

Will launch into defense if needed
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
You know my views about guns. I am wondering if anyone here can defend the idea of citizens being about to buy and possess assault rifles in light of the latest in an unending string of tragedies involving firearms?
You're confused in terminology.

Assault rifles, by definition, are capable of either fully automatic or burst fire (i.e. you pull the trigger and three bullets come out). What was used in CT was, by the definition of anyone familiar with guns, not an assault rifle. Perhaps what you mean is the term "assault weapon," which is a made-up term by a bunch of people with no knowledge of firearms and was used in a piece of legislation in the 90s that literally made as much sense as white-only drinking fountains.

What you seem to be arguing against are all semi-automatic rifles. From a functional standpoint, the AR-15 used in CT is no different than the average wood-grain hunting rifle that some fat redneck is currently holding in the woods as he waits for a deer or other animal to come along.

So is your argument against all semi-automatic (i.e. one pull of the trigger = one bullet comes out) rifles or only against the ones that are black and military-looking?

I have a hard time believing this gun



is more dangerous than this gun



simply because it's black, when they are functionally and ballistically similar.

Let's also consider that the shooter wore all black gear, though he did not attack at night. Did the black garb he wore enhance his attack at all? Perhaps aesthetically (people wearing all black tactical gear are visually scarier than people wearing linen suits, for example), but I would argue that he would've been equally as effective (I hate using such a callous term, but that's what it is) if he had been wearing a linen suit. Does this mean we should ban black clothing because it's the preferred garb of violent deranged people?

Now, I'll readily admit that I'm a gun owner who will carry a concealed weapon if it ever becomes legal in my state, and I will also readily admit that I have certain reservations about guns and CCW permits. And I would be happy to discuss those reservations with anyone who has a reasonable knowledge of firearms.

What I will not engage in, is a discussion that is equally ignorant to assuming all black youths in baggy jeans and hoodies are dangerous because of the way they look.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Also, without diminishing the atrocity of what happened in CT, let's remember that 27 people are killed every day by drinking and driving. If you're arguing for total prohibition of "assault rifles" but not alcohol, forgive me for thinking you're actively ignoring MUCH larger societal issues.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #31
Redline
Registered User
 
Redline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,202
My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Glorified in a sense that the velocity is extremely high because the casing is packed with a sh!t ton of gun powder. .223 is brutal.
Yeah but weak compared to 7.62 x 39 which is just as common in assault weapons. Unlike the. 223/5.56 that will just go through you or piss you off, you have a high velocity .30 cal that will obliterate your insides because it tumbles on impact. Id rather get shot by the .22 on steroids.
__________________
k.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #32
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
This is ****in stupid. If "citizens" can go buy and own an assault rifle.. Who says they won't be the next gunmen? Now they have an assault rifle and at any time can walk into a building and begin shooting.
You're a moron, I'm actually sad that you are supposed to represent the best and brightest our military has to offer. smh
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 12-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
aphhpa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Point, NY
Posts: 1,448
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
This is still heeeelarious. Our own MILITARY POLICE don't know the history and principals of our nation.


**** it, I'm moving to China. They're doing better anyway.
You are seriously the biggest idiot here. This is an opinion thread. I state my opinion and you tell me I'm wrong? Seriously if you're that ignorant and think you have the right to tell some that THEIR opinion is wrong.. Re-evaluate your purpose in life kid.
__________________

Last edited by aphhpa; 12-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
aphhpa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Point, NY
Posts: 1,448
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You're a moron, I'm actually sad that you are supposed to represent the best and brightest our military has to offer. smh
Same to you.
__________________
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
k2pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 340
My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Yes, I absolutely could. See this thread for reference on why.

5 Years of data will be collected on US Civilians to look for "Suspicious behavior"

The intent of weaponry and the 2nd amendment wasn't just personal defense, but civil defense. Our founding fathers were well aware of the effects of an oppressive governing body.
__________________
Quote:
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
That makes sense. Follow that train of thought.

Also, if an assault weapon is virtually no worse that a hand gun, why is the military, SWAT teams etc not just using handguns?
They use the fully automatic versions, which are banned for civilian use.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #37
kaput
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 748
My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
You are seriously the biggest idiot here. This is an opinion thread. I state my opinion and you tell me I'm wrong? Seriously if you're that ignorant and think you have the right to tell some that THEIR opinion is wrong.. Re-evaluate your purpose in life kid.
The problem is, that your opinion appears to be the most ignorant bucnh of catach phrases assembled into a sentence.

Really, I should not be able to own an AR-15? I can't own an AK either right? So, what is stopping me from having a 33 round mag in my glock, or is that too much as well?

Is my gun going to magically jump off the shelf and kill someone? Does the AR-15 know it is an AR-15, and think it must kill people, or does it come down to the person holding it?

When is an AR-15 more dangerous than another semi auto rifle, or pistol? Does the fact that the rifle is black and scary have to do with it, or is it because it holds a distinct advantage over other dark and scary rifles?

See, your opinion is just that, yours. My opinion is that you are a walking talking idiot, who uses catch phrases to assert his opinion. Get over it. You are a minority in this country (no this is not racial) and will forever deal with the fact that others have these weapons, and will continue to get these weapons, and any legislation you put on the table, and the total number of gun free zone signs you place, will never matter to a person looking to commit a crime with a gun, of what ever shape, size, caliber and color. You can disarm the entire population of good guys, and the bad guys will still look for their advantage, and own a gun, even if they are not allowed to. They will use those weapons while committing a crime, because they do not care.

If you are naive enough to think anything will change for the better with legislation that disarms the country, I can't help you. I just hope nothing ever happens to you, where you need a gun. Hell, if you feel so strongly about it, post your picture, so I can carry it around in my wallet, and refuse to help you or your family with my gun if I ever see you being robbed. I'll stand, point and laugh, hell I'll even call the cops for you. Sound good?
__________________

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #38
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 893
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
You're an idiot. It's a simple argument because its a simple answer. No, citizens should not be able to own assault rifles.
Do you even know what an assault rifle is?
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,461
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and sh1t out a better argument than this.
__________________
Chris
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
Green_Shine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North
Posts: 373
My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You're confused in terminology.

Assault rifles, by definition, are capable of either fully automatic or burst fire (i.e. you pull the trigger and three bullets come out). What was used in CT was, by the definition of anyone familiar with guns, not an assault rifle. Perhaps what you mean is the term "assault weapon," which is a made-up term by a bunch of people with no knowledge of firearms and was used in a piece of legislation in the 90s that literally made as much sense as white-only drinking fountains.

What you seem to be arguing against are all semi-automatic rifles. From a functional standpoint, the AR-15 used in CT is no different than the average wood-grain hunting rifle that some fat redneck is currently holding in the woods as he waits for a deer or other animal to come along.

So is your argument against all semi-automatic (i.e. one pull of the trigger = one bullet comes out) rifles or only against the ones that are black and military-looking?

I have a hard time believing this gun



is more dangerous than this gun



simply because it's black, when they are functionally and ballistically similar.

Let's also consider that the shooter wore all black gear, though he did not attack at night. Did the black garb he wore enhance his attack at all? Perhaps aesthetically (people wearing all black tactical gear are visually scarier than people wearing linen suits, for example), but I would argue that he would've been equally as effective (I hate using such a callous term, but that's what it is) if he had been wearing a linen suit. Does this mean we should ban black clothing because it's the preferred garb of violent deranged people?

Now, I'll readily admit that I'm a gun owner who will carry a concealed weapon if it ever becomes legal in my state, and I will also readily admit that I have certain reservations about guns and CCW permits. And I would be happy to discuss those reservations with anyone who has a reasonable knowledge of firearms.

What I will not engage in, is a discussion that is equally ignorant to assuming all black youths in baggy jeans and hoodies are dangerous because of the way they look.
Well said. The hypocrisy reminds me of the FDA.
__________________
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use