E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
The difference in diameter is 5%, but the sidewall height differential is actually closer to 8%. The nominal sidewall heights:
  • 225/45 (standard size) = 101 mm
  • 245/45 (optional rear size) = 110 mm
  • 215/55 = 118 mm
8 mm is about 1/3".

Tread depth of a typical tire is 12/32". So the difference between a new and a worn tire (say mounting a "new" spare for a worn one) is 10/32" (or 8 mm). The DSC system would be expected to deal with this.
I don't disagree with your math... but I do disagree with the optional rear tire size. I was under the impression that the rear "wide" tire option was 245/40/17 (per the owners manual). This has a sidewall of 98mm. BMW has kept all the sizes very close in diameter (I believe for a reason).

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Please let me know if you plan to drive out of your State. I want to make sure I am not on the same highway as you are, and definitely consider notifying the authorities regard safety violations. Good luck with your tires.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlic53 View Post
i'll turn DSC off then it'll be perfectly fine, "take hankook and burn them"? its not like im autocrossing my car at the moment, just back and forth on the freeway, it'll be fine. if you cant afford tires you cant afford blank blank blank, basically these cars are junk cuz the first thing you have to do when you buy it is do a cooling overhaul then the trans blows, the clutch blows, then subframe tears, the headgasket blows, buy any chevy and you can just drive it drive it drive it i'm going to do it and i bet it works just fine, i love my car and the bigger tires wont affect anything.
""Is this thread real""
I need to find a forum that is more family friendly.
the hankooks wont last long, i burnout everytime i take off anyway.
Why would you be blowing a head gasket on any car? Hmm.
Look dude. Your goal should be to have 4 of the same sized tires that have good tread. I don't care if you buy cheap general tires that are $450 a set. Just get good tires.
We don't care how your tires look. It's a safety thing. We're not saying these things to be dicks. Tires are VERY important when something goes wrong. I assume you're young by the way you talk so ill assume you have less than 5 years driving experience. So I'll leave you with this advice:
Things rarely go wrong. Just about every trip you take to school, the store, or wherever is uneventful. That's fine. But I promise you there will be that one time. It will be raining hard and you can't see. All of the sudden a deer or old person or whatever appears. You swerve or brake.
There's only two things that matter in that split second. Driver reaction and tires. Sure 99% of the time it doesn't matter and you'll be "just fine" but it's that one time that counts. And that's the make or break moment. Don't cheap out on tires. There's bigger things in life to worry about.
Keep good tread on them and keep safe. Just trying to help.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 12-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
OP gave me a brilliant idea for winter snow driving.

Put larger tires at the front so the front end of the car is higher.
This puts more weight distribution on the back wheels for better traction.

Better than sandbags in the trunk.

What else can I learn from rednecks
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I said bigger tires in the rear y'all said leave the same tires on the front if I get new tires to put them on rear. Ill just do it for fun. I leave state all the time where do you live? Ill head that way. Go find any Spanish persons car all 4 tires are different, and somehow they still get inspected and legally? I know because I went with my girlfriends dad and they said change the front left tire so he did and he has 31's on front and 32's on back so what's the deal there? The new hankooks are more safe than my steel belted hanging ecstas
metlic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
metlic53

Orrrr maybe I'm trollin? the guys on bimmerfest said it should work fine
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
I don't disagree with your math... but I do disagree with the optional rear tire size. I was under the impression that the rear "wide" tire option was 245/40/17 (per the owners manual). This has a sidewall of 98mm.
You are correct. A 17 mm difference does get to be pretty significant, although I suspect that the most noticeable difference would be to make the speedometer less optimistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Please let me know if you plan to drive out of your State. I want to make sure I am not on the same highway as you are, and definitely consider notifying the authorities regard safety violations.
The OP is trying to make the tire situation on his car better. Having mismatched tires on the front is certainly not an ideal situation, but those "too tall" Hankooks will certainly be much better than the tires with exposed belts on the rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Your goal should be to have 4 of the same sized tires that have good tread. I don't care if you buy cheap general tires that are $450 a set. Just get good tires.
I don't think anyone here disagrees with the goal. Often, there are intermediate steps on the way to the ultimate goal. As long as the tires on the rear axle match in size, have an adequate load rating, and don't rub, it is a better situation than riding with exposed belts. This is a step toward the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
It's a safety thing.
[...]
Things rarely go wrong. Just about every trip you take to school, the store, or wherever is uneventful. That's fine. But I promise you there will be that one time. It will be raining hard and you can't see. All of the sudden a deer or old person or whatever appears. You swerve or brake.
There's only two things that matter in that split second. Driver reaction and tires. Sure 99% of the time it doesn't matter and you'll be "just fine" but it's that one time that counts. And that's the make or break moment. Don't cheap out on tires.
X 100.

If only more drivers understood this...and acted on it.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlic53 View Post
I said bigger tires in the rear y'all said leave the same tires on the front if I get new tires to put them on rear. Ill just do it for fun. I leave state all the time where do you live? Ill head that way. Go find any Spanish persons car all 4 tires are different, and somehow they still get inspected and legally? I know because I went with my girlfriends dad and they said change the front left tire so he did and he has 31's on front and 32's on back so what's the deal there? The new hankooks are more safe than my steel belted hanging ecstas
Way to be racist!!!

OP - in spite of this, it sounds like you're all set:
- Bimmerforums has given you the ok.
- You'll turn the DSC off so that won't be a problem.
- You'll mount the taller tires in the back so your car will be "raked" - badass!
- The rears will be thinner making the car slightly less neutral in the corners... but DSC will save you if this is an issue... errr ****.

Good luck OP!

Luke
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #29
metlic53

Don't be a baby about racism, everybody does it don't act like you don't. There are cars everywhere with big tires in back and small in front, I called discount and they said they would install them for me tomorrow morning, it shouldn't affect DSC as they have done it before on bmws of my make. You all act like I'm going on the autobahn with this car, it drives like 10 miles a day so go back to your corner on the forum and be rude to all other noobs here as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #30
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
1. There's a 34.04mm diameter difference between the two tire sizes. That's roughly 1 1/3".

2. Will it be a big deal? Probably not. Have them mounted, and tell us how it goes. There's a minute possibility that they will rub if you hit a large bump, but there's a lot less of a chance it will happen on the rear, than on the front.

3. A lot of the responses to the OP were ridiculous. As a new forum member, I don't want to see responses like, "OP if you can't afford 2 new tires then you can't afford to keep a bmw." There's no excuse for this level of elitism.

4. OP: Don't be racist. Don't say, "Everybody does it." Don't make excuses as to why you want or don't want to do something. Don't feed the trolls.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
metlic53

Thanks pain break, it's frustrating seeing all the same responses not just to me but alot of people and it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths
Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
MercForHire

Welcome to the BMW internet club
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
OP - Just don't do it...

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
metlic53

Why not? I have the time and money plus I own 4 cars so its not like I don't have transportation if it doesn't work
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
MercForHire

did you know that Hankooks are made in North Korea by the commies?
For that reason alone, you should burn those tires.

Last edited by MercForHire; 12-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #36
metlic53

Lol then there are alot of people with hankooks. I plan on burnin out alot
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #37
metlic53

got a pair of two brand new primewell pz900 tires for the rear for 40 bucks. talked the guy from 100 to 40 so now i'll have all 225/45/17.

Tags
stupid redneck