E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Daverulz

My Ride: BMW 323i
Send a message via AIM to Daverulz
IPod Solutions?

So ive been reading up on everything, all the posts and what not.

I. Ice-link Solution
The only thing turning me off from the Ice-link (http://icelink.densionusa.com/) solution, is not being able to use my CD changer. Ice-Link Solution by lonnie 20: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hreadid=129136

II. Itrip
I bought the Itrip (Ipod FM Transmitter). Its good but its not a direct connection and it comes across radio quality.

The only other thing i can think of is buying a new head unit with an external AUX hookup and just hooking it up that way.

What do you guys think?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
Ares

My Ride: 02 330ci
I realize this is completely useless if you already have an Ipod but samsung makes something similar that has a built in FM transmitter. It will be poorer quality but that convenience is pretyy sweet.

Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverulz
So ive been reading up on everything, all the posts and what not.

I. Ice-link Solution
The only thing turning me off from the Ice-link (http://icelink.densionusa.com/) solution, is not being able to use my CD changer. Ice-Link Solution by lonnie 20: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hreadid=129136

II. Itrip
I bought the Itrip (Ipod FM Transmitter). Its good but its not a direct connection and it comes across radio quality.

The only other thing i can think of is buying a new head unit with an external AUX hookup and just hooking it up that way.

What do you guys think?
Ares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
medici78

My Ride: '01 330i, '04 M3
Why not use the PILA?? I have my Ipod hooked up to it on my 330i and I can still connect a CD changer with it if I choose to.
'86 Corolla GT-S: full suspension (coilovers, etc.) and minor engine mods. weekend autocross and twisty road toy. for $ale
'00 GMC Yukon XL: More frequent daily driver
medici78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:57 AM   #4
BigFas
Flex UK Style

My Ride: Entry Level Drop Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by medici78
Why not use the PILA?? I have my Ipod hooked up to it on my 330i and I can still connect a CD changer with it if I choose to.
Medici, what's a PILA?

I've got an Ipod and would like to hook it up to my factory head unit without losing my CD changer.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Daverulz

yeah, what is a PILA... and can you just pop in a cd while driving for instance?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
lonnie_20

My Ride: 2001 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to lonnie_20
just curious why you would still want your changer if you will have the ipod installed...its been a few months since i did my install...i have to to touch a cd...i think blitzsafe also makes a unit that will give an input for the changer and an ipod....
lonnie_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 AM   #7
Daverulz

Well, im still in HS and im not the only one who uses the car. Its really my dads car which he lets me drive but if he wants to pop in a cd i want him to be able to
Old 02-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #8
bbh03

My Ride: M5, X5, 911SC
A BMWPILA is just a line level adaptor i think. You will still be able to put CDs in the dash slot.
bbh03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #9
johnnybu

My Ride: BMW 325I
Send a message via AIM to johnnybu
If anyone is going to go with the ICELINK solution, i would wait until Mar/Apr when they will be releasing a new version of the icelink. Here's what the rep said when i emailed dension about it:

Hi Johnny,

this new version built into an iPod holder/cradle will come in 2-3 month time, however launch date is not defined yet.

Please visit our web site regularly to see the progress. Also, we will put you to the waiting list.

Regards...

here's a pic of the new version coming out:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/assets/ima...orld_-_061.php
johnnybu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
lonnie_20

i have the current icelink...i really like that new one!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
mrkelley

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mrkelley
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie_20
I have my ipod connected to the AUX port of the Stock Head unit. Just went to the BMW shop and bought it...had it installed. Its a headphone connecter that is installed in your glove box. Get the ipod car cigarrette charger with line out port, connect it in your glove box flashlight port. One wire out of your glovebox is all that is seen that connects to your docking port of the ipod. Pretty neat.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
uk325ci

My Ride: E46 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie_20
I also have the current icelink, I wonder if you will be able to just buy the new cradle and lead that connects to the adaptor box. Mind you I'm not to worried, my ipod vaery rarely leaves my car, so disconnecting a couple of cables doesn't bother me.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #13
lonnie_20

how can you find out....how does it work??? have any pics of your install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk325ci
I also have the current icelink, I wonder if you will be able to just buy the new cradle and lead that connects to the adaptor box. Mind you I'm not to worried, my ipod vaery rarely leaves my car, so disconnecting a couple of cables doesn't bother me.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
duBbs P

My Ride: '01 330 Ci
Send a message via AIM to duBbs P
hey i was wondering how you guys hook up ipods in a 2001 head unit that doesnt ahve the aux input. do you guys tap it throught the cd changer in teh trunk? any diy? i searched and couldnt find anything. thanks!
duBbs P is offline   Reply With Quote