E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
Actually Subaru NEVER offered the H6/LL Bean Luxo model w a stick, but a friend is sure he can do a conversion given a parts car. the engine simply has 2 extra cylinders, and I woudn't beat it, so no problem w a possible undersized tranny. Obviously electronic upgrades will be required... Would I actually get it done, or would he, prolly not, and I would need a parts car, and I'd prefer the same rust free one from out west, sounds like alot of extra complication, a 3 pedal Bimmer would be easier
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
choxor

My Ride: JDM
OP, I have to ask. Youtube? Pisser?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
CORVAIRWILD

Challlooooo!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0579 (Small).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	482384   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0573 (Small).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	482385   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0834 (Small).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	482386  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
choxor

My Ride: JDM
YES!!!!! I must see a pisserized E46!!! Let's make this happen!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
customisbetter

My Ride: 02 325xi
Anyone who thinks the e46 XI is "Too complicated" shouldn't be giving car advice.

The XI adds a super simple transfer case and front diff. That is all. Everything is open and the DSC manages traction control in rain and snow. Not much to go wrong mechanically.

Its the little dumb **** that gets expensive on these cars. Foggy headlight covers are 150 bucks to replace. The Final stage resistor in the glovebox goes bad and makes the heater blower act weird sometimes. $50-80. If you can find a nice example thats been WELL maintained they are bulletproof.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #26
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by customisbetter View Post
Anyone who thinks the e46 XI is "Too complicated" shouldn't be giving car advice.

The XI adds a super simple transfer case and front diff. That is all. Everything is open and the DSC manages traction control in rain and snow. Not much to go wrong mechanically.

Its the little dumb **** that gets expensive on these cars. Foggy headlight covers are 150 bucks to replace. The Final stage resistor in the glovebox goes bad and makes the heater blower act weird sometimes. $50-80. If you can find a nice example thats been WELL maintained they are bulletproof.
mine is but it's not for sale

yet.

looking at the Op's car collection I cant believe he's now into euro cars. Good luck with that
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
Actually Subaru NEVER offered the H6/LL Bean Luxo model w a stick
Guess the manuals that I've seen were "low zoot" cars. If you want the luxe version, then I vote for the xi. If you can find a well-maintained copy, they aren't trouble. We've had our '99 for 5+ years. To date, it has required nothing except regular maintenance. We're not anal, but we do take care of our vehicles. Did do the cooling system overhaul when we started to hear a bit of noise. And suspension refresh is due. Oh, and the original battery was replaced 2 months ago.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #28
CORVAIRWILD

Cooling system overhaul? I spoke w the seller yest... I may do it... We came to a reasonable price...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Google cooling system overhaul on here - conventional wisdom is to replace some cooling items when the car is over 100K before they fail and warp the head or blow the engine.

I think, given the fact that you are into cars, you will truly enjoy the XI. To me, the only similarity between a BMW and a Subaru is that they have four wheels and are made out of metal. Subarus are good cars, but the driving experience leaves a lot to be desired. And my mechanic says they have their share of problems after 100k just like any other car.

You sound more than capable of working on a BMW, and labor is 75% of the battle in maintaining one. Enjoy and don't worry about it. Heck, I was stupid enough to by a LR Discovery II six years ago. My total outlay for replacement parts/labor has been $1000.00 - a drive shaft (had a shop do it), but brake pads, a purge valve, thermostat/hoses and a cam shaft sensor - all bought and done by me. Everyone told me I lost my mind buying a Land Rover, but its been a fantastic vehicle.

Last edited by vandyboy; 12-18-2012 at 10:26 AM.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #30
CORVAIRWILD

It's more an issue of the difficulty of the repairs. My '91 Accord has too many heater/coolant hoses, really difficult to get to. Some cars/trucks half the engine is under the windshield. My turbo Chevy pickups have half the glow plugs/injectors under the turbo. Almost imp to get to. Rust will not be an issue as it will be a western car. This ix sounds really well maintained, new control arm bushings, no wear on seats, paint... Prolly always garaged
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #31
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
Based on the work I've done on my girlfriend's '07 Accent I would never even consider buying a hyundai. Simple crap like changing a license plate bulb on that car is a total chore. BMW's are some of the easiest cars to work on imo as long as you're patient and do your research. That said, yes, they didn't require a bit more money and a bit more regular upkeep than your average economy sedan.

(Please pardon my auto-correct)
This statement couldn't be closer to the truth. I was always fearful of owning a BMW because of the "rumors" regarding their reliability, so instead I bought Toyota, Lexus, Acura etc. Just one example ( of many ) of how much easier my e46 is to work on than lets say my IS300...my LP bulb need to have the entire trunk liner removed, then a nut here and a bolt there before I could access the bulb. E46...two screws and 10 seconds of my life later...it's done.

The BMW does require owners that appreciate their vehicles and take good care of them both mechanically and cosmetically. They are the best cars on the road for all around performance, look, and are outright sexy in the design department.

Last edited by fastsoup; 12-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Forgot to add: while they do exist, you will see dozens of Subaru wagons with manual trannies before you locate a single xi wagon with 3 pedals on the floor. This is for 3 reasons:
  • Not too many wagons sold in the US (maybe ~3000/yr?).
  • Smaller percentage were xi (of the wagons, many were RWD)
  • And a minority of those had a manual (the majority of cars were automatics)
This is so true, I took six months to find my E46 Xi 5-Speed Wagon. I checked Autotrader and Cars.com everyday.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
Bimmerboy630

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Wait mercforhire... I have an 01 325xi and it's a manual-.0 so I'm confused by what you meant up there . But yes the xi is plenty reliable and plenty fun actually mine is that color too I'd go for it parts can be pricy but If uv got e46 fanatics to help you out on DIYs and stuff, you can save trips to the dealer also much easier to work on then subarus (in my experience with the 99 legacy gt) I love working on mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355873647.459589.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	482639   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355873691.519622.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	482640   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1355873745.022562.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	482641  
Bimmerboy630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #34
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
I told him to get a RWD manual e46 for maximum reliability and lowest cost of ownership.

Ix is just more weight. More gas consumption. Unnecessary 90% of the time.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Bimmerboy630

Btw in my pics I parked like that on purpose and don't make a habit of it lol I can park correctly haha
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #36
Bimmerboy630

Well for me it's great cause I live in Colorado but yeah I wanted an m5 or m3 but this suits me better in the winter and oh ok I must have read it wrong haha
Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Bimmerboy630

And personally I'd go with a 330xi if possible thinkin about going that route instead cause I drove one with a six speed and it's pretty wicked
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #38
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Rwd is fine in the snow with winter tires.
I recently learnt from another new member that to get the best traction in snow.
Put bigger tires at the front so more weight falls on the rear.

Equvalent of putting sandbags in the trunk except better.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #39
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy630 View Post
Well for me it's great cause I live in Colorado but yeah I wanted an m5 or m3 but this suits me better in the winter and oh ok I must have read it wrong haha
You must be taking advantage of those new laws out there in Colorado with all those smiles...

(Please pardon my auto-correct)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #40
CORVAIRWILD

Did this older model come AWD? 5 speed???

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/3481698292.html

It's a '95 E34 wagon auto w 239k once the ad gets deleted