E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Site Sponsor Group Buys

Site Sponsor Group Buys
Group buys from the sponsors that support E46Fanatics.com and other approved group buys.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
Chris - Will the hood have an option for diverters to prevent rain from going into the engine bay?
For now no. It will cost more money. i'd like to know how many people would pay a little more for diverters even if the rain vents were in a place that didn't hurt the engine.

Chris.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #22
Thotfulspot

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
I don't see anywhere where it says there will be a sedan version. I doubt that will happen, totally different fitments and would require a separate mold. I'm sure this is coupes only.
That's too bad. Sounds interesting if it fit sedans.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #23
johnhk79

My Ride: BMW
No pics? A bit pointless...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhk79 View Post
No pics? A bit pointless...
We met with the company yesterday that is building our carbon fiber hoods. We have assembled a great team of minds to attack this project and will be bringing an amazing product to market. We are taking a "real" look at aeromdynamics of this hood and hope to improve downforce, improve flow through the engine area w/increased cooling, and reduce the pressure gradient that cause some of the aftermarket hoods to shake wildly at high speeds and want to blow off . We are also bringing forward a class "BMW" looking race design that I think will impress. It is similar to other hoods but takes everything one or two steps further. The underside will utilize carbon fiber as well so when you open your hood, it will look amazing underneath. The hood will NOT require hood pins to stay on the car. The hood will have reinforcements for the hinge and attachment areas and will not flex in those areas when opening and closing the hood. The hood will fit perfect every time and will be made here in the US.

I may raise the retail price of this hood over $1,995 once we release it. However... I will guarantee the group buy price of $1,650 to everyone that pre-orders. I will have pictures up next week so stay tuned.

Chris.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

We will have hood designs for review next Monday/Tuesday.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Is thursday...still waiting for the pics?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
Is thursday...still waiting for the pics?
I have them. I just need to post them up.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Thumbs Up

We met with the company that is designing and building our carbon fiber hoods earlier this week. They brought a lot of great ideas. The drawings below are their conceptual ideas before they take it to CAD. I'd like to hear your freeback on these concepts below and the hood designs as I want to maximize the overall market for our hoods.

My Requirements
  • It MUST be AGRESSIVE!!
  • It MUST work for most E46's.
  • It MUST have strong internal webbing to support the attachment points to the rear hinges so the hood doesn't flex when you open and close it
  • It MUST have a super strong hood latch so that no hood pins are needed
  • It MUST have venting on both sides
  • It MUST be fade resistant
  • It MUST be blemish free so the hood can be run without paint
  • It MUST simply bolt on without modifications
  • Vents should be less wide but more of them
  • Vents should be in a location that doesn't affect the electronics
  • Hood should seal to the rubber strip at the top of the hood that seals in the electronics.
  • HPF Should be embossed on the underside of the hood in a clean manner that is noticeable if you look but doesn't stand out

Their Ideas
  • The aftermarket hoods on the market are simply a copy of the factory hood and can be better designed using the full capabilities of composites and re-designing the hood from scratch.
  • With the center section lowered and the webbing removed like it is on some aftermarket hoods, the torsional reinforcement is gone. This causes the fluttering of the hood in the back.
  • Torsion beams on the underside of the hood must tie the rear hinge points to the front hinge points. These designs are shown in the pictures below.
  • Core material should be designed into the hood to provide these torsion beams. This core material is extremely lightweight and provides extreme rigity.
  • Some hood designs below also add a structural reinforcement on top of the hood (the lip running from side to side) as well to make it extremely strong and also provide downforce.
  • Molded in vents should be produced in such a way that they are sharp and clear cut. Other aftermarket hoods have vents that have slow radiused curves into the vents which makes them look not as aggressive.
  • The sides of the hood should retain the original 4 rubber bump stops that allow the hood to lock in snugly against the body of the car.
  • The underside of the hood should be as amazing to look at as the top side. You can see separation between the top and bottom parts of the hood on many of these aftermarket hoods out there and as a result the hoods are not as strong. When the hood is designed as one composite piece you get an extremely strong hood that is very lightweight.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 08-02-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #29
Thotfulspot

Looks like a nice product. Too bad there isn't a sedan version.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #30
spyder

My Ride: S54 Sedan, IB 328i
Send a message via AIM to spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotfulspot View Post
looks like a nice product. Too bad there isn't a sedan version.
+100
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #31
sogoos

My Ride: 95 M3, 01 M3
This is very exciting. I think its awesome you are giving your consumers a chance to give direct input on the design of your product.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #32
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogoos View Post
This is very exciting. I think its awesome you are giving your consumers a chance to give direct input on the design of your product.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
Thotfulspot

Getting the end users involved is great, but it would be better if you were doing a sedan version.

With the price of sedans coming down it seems like the aftermarket is increasing.

Last edited by Thotfulspot; 09-30-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
I like this one

Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #35
psan03

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
No updates?

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

-03 Silver Grey 325i-
Quote: