E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Weralkstterb

My Ride: 2000 328ci
EML Light & 4 Codes

Ive had this intermittent problem for about a month. EML light randomly comes on with check engine light and leaves my car in an undrivable state. Extreme power surging. If I were to push the pedal to the floor it goes from full throttle to no throttle and jerks the car back snd forth until i pull over and turn it off for 10+ seconds. Sometimes it wont come back for hours or days other times it returns immediately. It seems to occur most when my foot has just left the gas pedal like about to make a turn or stop then i notice it again when i hit the gas again to accelerate. Ive searched around about EML problems and alot of people mention something about 'limp mode'. Is this limp mode im experiencing? Limp mode, from what I've read, limits the car to a certain rpm or mph. I have experienced no such limits while experiencing this problem. However, it is very difficult to gain and maintain speed making it pretty dangerous. The car runs completely fine until the EML light comes on. The codes that immediately appear (scanned seconds after an incident) when the EML comes on are as follows...

P0601- internal control module
memory check sum error
P0120- throttle/pedal position
sensor A circuit
P0170- fuel trim (bank 1)
P0173- fuel trim (bank 2)

If anyone could just throw some ideas out there from past experience to just throw me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys.
Weralkstterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Weralkstterb

Nobody?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
I had a similar problem and i had to replace my crankshaft sensor. It does it now on a slight occasion but this time its coming up as somthing wrong with my cat and the mechanic says it must be the lambda sensor no. If any fault at all occurs the car automatically goes into limp home mode. LHM. Dont know what the control module is but the pedal sensor would almost definatly cause your car to go into LHM if it were faulty.

Last edited by floydlloyd85; 12-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Dionne11

My Ride: 2004 325i
Yeah I got C3101 and C3400 I have no clue what these are its hard to find an answer.
Dionne11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I have these four codes on my car now with a check engine light and an EML. Car currently wont run

p1580
p0120
p0340
p0601

All these codes are pointing to the throttle position sensor and the throttle body with the p0340 pointing at my intake CPS. Looks like in my case I have to replace the entire throttle body but you may want to look here first.

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete

Last edited by raptorman5174; 12-17-2012 at 12:00 PM.
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Julioalberto236

My Ride: BMW E46 328i 1999
Had te same problem over here with my 328i 1999 y figured out it was more a electrical problem than a mecanical one since the EML light come and go irregularly, i disconnected the positive pole of the battery and cleaned my throttle body and idle control valve and the EML was gone, but still i dont feel the great old torque i had.. Good luck!
Julioalberto236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Weralkstterb

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll check some of that out.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
I have these four codes on my car now with a check engine light and an EML. Car currently wont run

p1580
p0120
p0340
p0601

All these codes are pointing to the throttle position sensor and the throttle body with the p0340 pointing at my intake CPS. Looks like in my case I have to replace the entire throttle body but you may want to look here first.
UPDATE

After reading a bunch of posts that said to pull your Throttle Body clean it and re-install I decided that purchasing another throttle body would be the way to go. The reason for this is that when i did my CCV a year ago I cleaned it very well with TB spray and my ICV so I know it's not dirty. I found a good used unit on ebay for about $160 and replaced my old one. Before I did my replacement I disconnected my negative battery terminal. After the replacement the car started right up and my CEL and EML lights went out and so far I haven't had any issues return and my car is running very well.

Chalk it up once again to another E46Fanatics Fix for my car. I can't even begin to tell you you guys how much money this web site has saved me in the 6 years i have owned my car.

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote