E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #3901
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
You are making the mistake that I am a church going believer, that hates science and thinks the world is flat. That is your problem. By saying you won't change me, I mean what beliefs I have are mine, and I'll choose how I wish to act with them.

So keep your scientific theory, and your condescending attitude. It makes you look like a tool.
I never said anything of the sort. You stated that no matter what others say, you will stick to what you believe. A noble concept, sure, but ultimately those are the words of a fool. If you aren't willing to see things from the other side of the aisle and examine evidence from an opposing point of of view, what ground do you really have to stand on?

I don't know what your beliefs are and I never stated that I did. I was addressing the ignorant comment you made about not accepting any other point of view. That unwilling attitude is a large contributing factor to the disagreements we have all over the world today.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #3902
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
So in your mind, there is only one way to live, and be. If you are not in the same line as you, you are "clinging" to ignorance?

At least we know how tolerant you are.
I am not angry, far from it. I have a charmed life. In a couple of hours, we'll be dining with a nice view of the Vatican in a very nice restaurant, and religious excesses such as that mind-numbing display of religious wealth and power don't make me angry. Sad, perhaps disgusted... but not angry.

And yes, the world is quite easily divided into the intelligent and the not-so in myriad ways: On one side, let's put the religious, the smokers, the child abusers, the wife beaters, the dominators, the dictators, the political leaders who led millions of their own people to slaughter, and on the other, those who avoid danger or damage to themselves and those they love by living a productive, fruitful life without self-imposed turmoil, or under the direction of charlatans, and without expecting a heavenly reward for doing what they should have been doing all along to care for their fellow human beings, and without providing tribute to fake deities through religious leaders who build obscene palaces like St. Peters.

Most people who realize they are ignorant (as most of us are, as in "uninformed until told the truth") usually contemplate and reassess their core beliefs at some point in time, absent outward peer pressure, right after reaching the age of reason. Those who remain ignorant on purpose, and continue to cling to their ignorance in spite of proof to the contrary, are by definition imbeciles, should be avoided. By their prayers and holy works I shall know them, and avoid them...
BoogetyBoogety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #3903
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Tell me, what makes me "crazy"...
I don't know if you're crazy or not. I only see the hateful, angry crap you post here.

But in my experience, guys like you are the ones that snap and shoot up the place - usually with religious sanction (like abortion clinic bombings and abortion provider homicides, etc).

I'd trust a damned dirty hippy before I'd turn my back on you. At least i know the only thing in danger is a pack or Oreos when a hippy's hanging around.

No offense.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 12-17-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #3904
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I never said anything of the sort. You stated that no matter what others say, you will stick to what you believe. A noble concept, sure, but ultimately those are the words of a fool. If you aren't willing to see things from the other side of the aisle and examine evidence from an opposing point of of view, what ground do you really have to stand on?

I don't know what your beliefs are and I never stated that I did. I was addressing the ignorant comment you made about not accepting any other point of view. That unwilling attitude is a large contributing factor to the disagreements we have all over the world today.
My comment was misunderstood. I did not say I would not be willing to learn something new, or see both sides of the coin. What I meant it to be was attempting to take what I was asying regarding prayer, and attempt to turn me into an atheist because "god does not exist". I see many points of view on this issue, and all are right/wrong depending on where you are standing. Those that get comfort and understanding from praying are right. Those that think it is stupid are also right, because the only point of view you can ever really see is your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
I am not angry, far from it. I have a charmed life. In a couple of hours, we'll be dining with a nice view of the Vatican in a very nice restaurant, and religious excesses such as that mind-numbing display of religious wealth and power don't make me angry. Sad, perhaps disgusted... but not angry.

And yes, the world is quite easily divided into the intelligent and the not-so in myriad ways: On one side, let's put the religious, the smokers, the child abusers, the wife beaters, the dominators, the dictators, the political leaders who led millions of their own people to slaughter, and on the other, those who avoid danger or damage to themselves and those they love by living a productive, fruitful life without self-imposed turmoil, or under the direction of charlatans, and without expecting a heavenly reward for doing what they should have been doing all along to care for their fellow human beings, and without providing tribute to fake deities through religious leaders who build obscene palaces like St. Peters.

Most people who realize they are ignorant (as most of us are, as in "uninformed until told the truth") usually contemplate and reassess their core beliefs at some point in time, absent outward peer pressure, right after reaching the age of reason. Those who remain ignorant on purpose, and continue to cling to their ignorance in spite of proof to the contrary, are by definition imbeciles, should be avoided. By their prayers and holy works I shall know them, and avoid them...
And that is the thing. No matter how well versed you are, or intelligent you cannot say with certainty what a person of belief is thinking, feeling or getting from the experience. Group religious people together with any number of people you want, but it still comes down to what that person WANTS and not what anyone else wants.

You are assuming that a person cannot have faith, and still believe in science, evolution and the modern world. You appear to be making every person that has ever asked God for help into a religious nut job, yet you celebrate holidays based off of religious happenings, rooted in religious history. You don't seem to mind getting involved in Christmas, but renounce the beginning of it.

All I am saying is that for every one whack job, there is another. Atheist that are offended by our money and pledge, are just as crazy as the religious people that die for virgins in a mythical land. Both sides of the coin are full of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I don't know if you're crazy or not. I only see the hateful, angry crap you post here.

But in my experience, guys like you are the ones that snap and shoot up the place - usually with religious sanction (like abortion clinic bombings and abortion provider homicides, etc).

I'd trust a damned dirty hippy before I'd turn my back on you. At least i know the only thing in danger is a pack or Oreos when a hippy's hanging around.

No offense.
So you don't know if I am crazy, but you have no problem accusing me of being, and not only that but attempting to predict I will shoot up a school?

And you sayI post "hateful angry crap". You are a little misguided, and quick to make accusations. Maybe you should think before typing from now on.

And I would not bank on trusting the experience of a "window guy" when it comes to psychological evaluations and judge of character. No PhD, no care.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #3905
Lair

It doesn't take a phd to recognize angry, hateful crap.

And I haven't owned a glass business since 2006.

"Misguided".

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #3906
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
It doesn't take a phd to recognize angry, hateful crap.

And I haven't owned a glass business since 2006.

"Misguided".
Of all the things in this thread, no one would confuse me with your hateful accusational crap.

Please enlighten me. You failed on the crazy part, and chose to say "in your limited experience", so please proceed to show true anger and aggression from me.

I'll wait.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #3907
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
A quote from the other thread about the Westboro Church.

Quote:
Members of the Westboro Baptist Church say that America is being punished for its acceptance of gays and lesbians. In recent days, Phelps family members have sent tweets about the Connecticut shooting that have said "God sent the shooter."
Need those who don't believe, say anything further about religion?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #3908
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
My comment was misunderstood. I did not say I would not be willing to learn something new, or see both sides of the coin. What I meant it to be was attempting to take what I was asying regarding prayer, and attempt to turn me into an atheist because "god does not exist". I see many points of view on this issue, and all are right/wrong depending on where you are standing. Those that get comfort and understanding from praying are right. Those that think it is stupid are also right, because the only point of view you can ever really see is your own.
You're too reasonable for me to argue with

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #3909
Lair

Quote:
Of all the things in this thread, no one would confuse me with your hateful accusational crap.

Please enlighten me. You failed on the crazy part, and chose to say "in your limited experience", so please proceed to show true anger and aggression from me.

I'll wait.
If you were crazy, how would you know?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #3910
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
If you were crazy, how would you know?
Why don't we just ask you? You're a perfect example, clearly crazy, but you seem either completely unaware or in denial

Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #3911
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Italian Government stop the use of card payments in the Vatican due to the Holy See's reluctance to stamp out money laundering through the IOR (Vatican Bank).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20903443

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #3912
pancakes

My Ride: ///M, GTI, SUPERMOTO
popped back in here to hopefully find an intelligent discussion, some funny pics, or at least a respectful discussion....

.... sigh.

IMO, it seems that you all have a few demons you need to address. No need for this kind of hate.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #3913
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I was sitting next to my sister on Christmas Eve, one of two times I go just to placate my mom, and she was reading something in the bible. I leaned over and said "I don't want to ruin it for you, but he dies in the end." She didn't find it as funny as me.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #3914
pancakes

My Ride: ///M, GTI, SUPERMOTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I was sitting next to my sister on Christmas Eve, one of two times I go just to placate my mom, and she was reading something in the bible. I leaned over and said "I don't want to ruin it for you, but he dies in the end." She didn't find it as funny as me.
Ahhh, pissing off the family.... one of the greatest Christmas traditions.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #3915
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Yes, however assuming one has a specific set of beliefs in something science cannot prove or disprove is the point. You can argue the merits of a belief all you want but if a person has a belief in something, and calls on that belief in times of need, who is it hurting?

Keep in mind, I have not voiced my beliefs, or argued one opinion or the other is more correct or legit. I find it absolutely disgusting that anyone would ridicule anyone who uses prayer in a crisis like this one as a mechanism of comfort. Does it really matter how useless it is to you, when it may be helping another?

And again, assuming I believe in something, set it to a higher standard than thought and science, and then attempting to use it against me is laughable. It does not matter my beliefs or practices, nor does that have any relevance to the point I was trying to make. Continue bashing, trolling or attempting to sway me one way or the other. It is hilarious that anyone even attempts to make a judgement based on something you don't even know, and more to the point will never know. I just think making the suffering and coping methods of people in distress a punch line is horrible, regardless of your beliefs.

And I am not religious, nor was I raised religiously.

Quote:
"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know."

E.H.
Sadly, this is often true.

Quote:
So it's true then that ignorance is bliss?
More or less.

Quote:
So in your mind, there is only one way to live, and be. If you are not in the same line as you, you are "clinging" to ignorance?

At least we know how tolerant you are.
That's the problem with many atheists, they are usually just as intolerably intolerant as the members of the very religions that they despise.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #3916
Lair

Quote:
Most of them wouldn't.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #3917
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
You Atheists and Agnostics sure do seem to spend a lot of your time and resources fighting something in which you do not profess to believe. Wonder why.........

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #3918
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
You Atheists and Agnostics sure do seem to spend a lot of your time and resources fighting something in which you do not profess to believe. Wonder why.........
It's a hobby.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #3919
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Q : What do you tell an atheist on his death bead?

A : Hope you're wrong.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #3920
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Q : What do you tell an atheist on his death bead?

A : Hope you're wrong.
Q: What do you tell a Religious Nut on their death bed?

A: Hope you're right!

Last edited by //TRD power; 01-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.
//TRD power is offline   Reply With Quote