E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #41
bimmernut3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 277
My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMANBU View Post
You're going to be even more excited when you finally get it to pair up, use it for a few months, then it starts not working every now and then, then dies completely, then drains your battery because it didn't power down properly, then you take it to the shop and find out it'll be about $900 parts and labor to replace the TCU......

As convenient as the integrated BT was, a $25 Motorola BT speaker was a much smarter move for me.

TCU failure is pretty common, and apparently there's a list of "approved" phones to use with the BMW BT link so ya know....sorry to rain on the parade, but be prepared.
Interesting information ICEMAN, I wan't aware that there was any issue history with the bluetooth module. I'm a 2nd owner after 7 years with the PO. She only put 25k miles on this car when she owned it. I was able to locate her & get some history on the car, besides not driving it much. She did mention an 'electrical glitch' after the warranty ran out. She took it to an "Germen auto only" independent. They replaced the battery, sent the radio off to be repaired, removed fuse #7 & unplugged the COP blue tooth unit when I got it.:>) The radio only played for 20 min. at a time when I was driving back home after picking it up & you had to manually turn it on every time you got in the car. However, with all this put back together (replaced #7 fuse) & plugged in the BT, I have not had any battery issues in the 3 months I've had it. She said they never used the BT & never activated it. My thoughts were that she just didn't drive it enough to keep the battery charge up, with not driving it up to a month at a time.

Where have you seen the post about the issue with the BT?
__________________
'05 330ci

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #42
pauljcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 89
My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMANBU View Post
You're going to be even more excited when you finally get it to pair up, use it for a few months, then it starts not working every now and then, then dies completely, then drains your battery because it didn't power down properly, then you take it to the shop and find out it'll be about $900 parts and labor to replace the TCU......

As convenient as the integrated BT was, a $25 Motorola BT speaker was a much smarter move for me.

TCU failure is pretty common, and apparently there's a list of "approved" phones to use with the BMW BT link so ya know....sorry to rain on the parade, but be prepared.
First, we'll see if it works or not.
I have a Motorola device (but probably a touch more expensive than the one you recommend). It is useless for because, when the top is down and I'm driving along, I can't really understand what people are saying and they for sure cannot hear me clearly. So this may be better.....
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #43
pauljcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 89
My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Paul...just send private message above.
1st you need to know your PIN# for the car. Should be on a card in you owners manual unless that was given to you. If that be the case, you'll need to locate the COP unit in the trunk & it should be on it (4 digit#). The COP is located on drivers side behind the carpet cover, mounted on the back of the back seat. Let me know when you get your pin & we'll go from there. Do you have the phone/bluetooth manual?
I don't see the PM 'button'. Strange.
I got the carpet away and peeled it to where could easily see the COP unit. No label on my side, and I don't fit into the trunk to try to undo (bolts? nuts?) the four corners of the COP unit to see whether there is anything behind. As you know, the unit is pretty flush with whatever metal bars are behind the rear seats, but where there was space I passed my hand and did not feel a label. So maybe the salesman was right when he told me (way back at the end of 2004) that I did not have Bluetooth. Wha tis weird is the that pressing the R/T button on the steering allows the iPhone to 'see' the car. Oh well -- I will speak to the dealer next time I am around there.
Thank you for all your help, patient assistance and coaching. The "Motorola" will have to do (which it doesn't). Thnak Goodness that FL is a State where you can lift the phone to your ear while driving.....
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #44
bimmernut3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 277
My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Sorry to hear that after all that trouble. Why BMW can't make this information easier to access is beyond me.
__________________
'05 330ci

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #45
pauljcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 89
My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Sorry to hear that after all that trouble. Why BMW can't make this information easier to access is beyond me.
Yes, they are a weird company. Some 'cheap' savings in some areas and then some 'over-doing' in other areas. BTW, just saw the forthcoming Jaguar F this p.m. It's a really good-looking car, real easy on the eyes. Not much room compared to the 3-series.... but otherwise gorgeous.... First deliveries start in May...
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #46
pauljcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 89
My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Sorry to hear that after all that trouble. Why BMW can't make this information easier to access is beyond me.
Quick question:
The part (COP unit) is located - as you had mentioned - against the rear 'wall', the other side of which is the rear seat. (The 'wall' being the 'front' of the trunk.) I noticed that the part is attached to the metal braces, as it should, and that there are spaces between those braces. If I were to remove the rear seat-backs, would I see the braces and 'holes' leading to the trunk, or is there an additional 'layer'? If I could see through, I could at least take a look at the part from the other side....
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #47
bimmernut3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 277
My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljcl View Post
Quick question:
The part (COP unit) is located - as you had mentioned - against the rear 'wall', the other side of which is the rear seat. (The 'wall' being the 'front' of the trunk.) I noticed that the part is attached to the metal braces, as it should, and that there are spaces between those braces. If I were to remove the rear seat-backs, would I see the braces and 'holes' leading to the trunk, or is there an additional 'layer'? If I could see through, I could at least take a look at the part from the other side....
Paul, this is possible but I do not know the answer to your question. If memory serves me correctly, there is a piece of rubber insulation behid the seat. And I'm also thinking that there's another unit mounted on that wall, maybe for the roll-over protection. Just guessing here. You know, you should be able to call your local dealer & give him the vin# & he should be able to retrieve the passkey #. I searched for these units on ebay the other day & some had the # & some didn't. Some were ID'd as "FK" instead of "PK"
__________________
'05 330ci

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #48
pauljcl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 89
My Ride: 2005 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Paul, this is possible but I do not know the answer to your question. If memory serves me correctly, there is a piece of rubber insulation behid the seat. And I'm also thinking that there's another unit mounted on that wall, maybe for the roll-over protection. Just guessing here. You know, you should be able to call your local dealer & give him the vin# & he should be able to retrieve the passkey #. I searched for these units on ebay the other day & some had the # & some didn't. Some were ID'd as "FK" instead of "PK"
Thank you. I remember being told that my car did not have Bluetooth at the moment I ordered it, but it would seem it was built 'on the cusp' of the dates where the Bluetooth function was installed or enabled. What gives hope is that my phone detects the car when I press the R/T button. I would have assumed that the R/T button would be inoperative if there was no Bluetooth.
Anyway, I will be bringing the car in for some repairs in the New Year and will ask the dealer at that point. Of course, if I DO have BT, you will hear from me!
Again, tks. for all your help!
pauljcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #49
sgoetz628
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 334
My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Just have to comment on this. In my view, the one I notice most and bugs me the most is having electrically operated headrests while they were too cheap to put window buttons in the back seat.

I know the headrests turn down for opening/closing the top, but it is not necessary. And really, does anybody adjust their headrests often enough to require they be electric? Even a Rolls driver doesn't need that. But no window buttons in the rear takes away a lot for back seat passengers.

Phew, finally got that off my chest!


[QUOTE=pauljcl;14983113]Yes, they are a weird company. Some 'cheap' savings in some areas and then some 'over-doing' in other areas.
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2001, 325ci, convertible, retract antenna

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use