E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Rotator cuff surgery

Just found out that I have a torn rotator cuff. Doctor said it was really rare for someone my age.

Has anyone here gone through this procedure before? Care to share some details on recovery time, length of the procedure, physical therapy, etc?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
My grandmother tore both rotator cuffs. I'm not sure if the surgery was botched or what, but she can't raise her arms above her head anymore and she couldn't drive for a while after surgery.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
Just found out that I have a torn rotator cuff. Doctor said it was really rare for someone my age.

Has anyone here gone through this procedure before? Care to share some details on recovery time, length of the procedure, physical therapy, etc?

Thanks
My mom had shoulder surgery. According to her, the most brutal part was trying to find a comfortable position to sleep.

She was lucky that they had bought reclining chairs that kinda curved at the top corners, so she was able to lay back enough to get to sleep while still having the shoulder supported. It also made it impossible for her to roll over in the middle of the night, which would have been really painful. She slept in one of those chairs for a few weeks while she was healing.

Anyway, talk to your doc about what it takes to sleep comfortably post-op.

Good luck.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
about 8 - 12 month recovery. I am familiar with many people who have had this surgery. Be diligent with whatever your trainer/doctor tells you to recuperate it.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
mbomb3

My Ride: 328
it depends on what part of the cuff is torn how big the tear is etc. How old are you and what do you do?
Procedure will depend on these things. So in general short outpatient procedure about an hour. If the cuff is repaired, then no lifting more that couple pounds for 3 months. Therapy for a little bit longer return to activity in about 6 months or so. All generalalities.

Last edited by mbomb3; 12-17-2012 at 10:59 PM.
mbomb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Shaban

^ I'm 23 years old, run a small business (pawn shop). I'm not sure what part is torn or how big the tear is... doctor wasn't very detailed.

I wanted to hear from people who have gone through the surgery (or know people who have gone through it). Everything I read online gives me different answers. I figured sleeping would be hard, but I do have a recliner and have read that it helps to sleep on one. How long will I be in a sling, need medicine, be unable to move my arm, etc.? Doctors told me I should be fine to go to New York 2 days after the procedure, but what do others think (that have gone thru it before)?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
My brother tore his rotator cuff after a motorcycle accident. Doctor said he had to get surgery, but thankfully it healed itself quickly (which is extremely rare), and he didn't have to get the surgery. His arm is still an issue when he goes to the gym though.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
^ I'm 23 years old, run a small business (pawn shop). I'm not sure what part is torn or how big the tear is... doctor wasn't very detailed.

I wanted to hear from people who have gone through the surgery (or know people who have gone through it). Everything I read online gives me different answers. I figured sleeping would be hard, but I do have a recliner and have read that it helps to sleep on one. How long will I be in a sling, need medicine, be unable to move my arm, etc.? Doctors told me I should be fine to go to New York 2 days after the procedure, but what do others think (that have gone thru it before)?
If your doctor thinks that a 23 yr old tearing a Rotator cuff is rare, I would have someone else do the surgery. It's pretty common. I tore my Labrum and had my cuff buffed when he was in there because it was taking a beating. Sleeping is tough, the first couple days i slept almost sitting upright. You will realize that you bump your shoulder on EVERYTHING. They will suggest you to be in a slick for 4-6 weeks. I took mine off in two. I took my arm out everyday as instructed and basically let it hang/swing for a couple minutes.

I don't care what anyone tells you, the tearing of the scar tissue will be the worst pain you might ever feel. I cried, it hurt that bad. Without the scar tissue being cleared out, you will be very immobile. Make sure you go through the proper rehab or you will have some serious range of motion issues. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
BreakMyWallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
My brother tore his rotator cuff after a motorcycle accident. Doctor said he had to get surgery, but thankfully it healed itself quickly (which is extremely rare), and he didn't have to get the surgery. His arm is still an issue when he goes to the gym though.
its common for it to partially heal itself through rehab. A lot of the time, there will be a tear that heals on two ends and remains torn in the middle. The gap is the reason it still hurts, It may not even show up on a typical MRI (arthrogram), though you just won;t know until you get in there.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
2002GreenBMW

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Yeah my dad dropped my motorcycle off a lift and tore his, he got surgery and couldn't sleep in his bed for 4 months. He slept in his recliner as well. (kinda hindered the whole sneaking out thing for a while) its been 2 yrs and its alot better now, he said it was definitely worthwhile, he's 70
2002GreenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
BreakMyWallet

i only had trouble sleeping for about two weeks. i took pain meds for a couple weeks but they made me sick (Vicodin). Arm still hurts all the time, truthfully. Thats because I still play baseball and use it everyday, but its strong enough to make it through the season just fine and my workouts. I'm just so use to the nagging pain i guess. I think its because i chipped off some of the bone when my I had my labral tear. Rotator cuff is a little less finicky from what I hear.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
its common for it to partially heal itself through rehab. A lot of the time, there will be a tear that heals on two ends and remains torn in the middle. The gap is the reason it still hurts, It may not even show up on a typical MRI (arthrogram), though you just won;t know until you get in there.
Yea it was odd because he had no rehab at all. He just took it easy and got it checked out two weeks after his initial diagnosis and apparently it didn't require surgery anymore. He still complains about it not being 100%

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Shaban

I believe he said the type of rotator cuff tear I had was very rare at my age. He has 22 years experience and said he's never seen it like this for someone my age. In his words exactly "it's so rare I could write about it and publish it to a magazine". I'll have to ask him what makes it so rare lol.

He's had to operate on both my parents and some family friends in the past for different reasons and they all said he does excellent work, so I'm not worried about that at all. It's just going to suck because of work... I'm trying to open up a second location and this is definitely going to hinder that.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
I injured my RC's in 2006 due to heavy bench pressing with less than stellar form where my arm position was concerned. It took years of no barbell work and lots of personal rehab to aid in recovery. They still bother me periodically, but I am benching heavier today than I was in 2006, and I don't have the RC pain any longer. Form is the key!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaE46 View Post
The question is.. How bad does it feel? I don't know what kinda pain/troubles its giving you but here's my case.

I tore my rotator cuff when I was 24, not rare. I could have gotten surgery but I opted not too because after research I came to the conclusion that surgery had a good chance of making mine worse.

My everyday life hasnt changed. I sleep fine and lift things with no problem.
BUT, when I frequent the gym or when I'm doing certain strenuous activities it does start to bother me a little, but nothing crazy. I just massage it and it goes away after a little while. Nothing to really bother me though, I've found that in the gym I just need to practice excellent form and not try to be a crazy power lifter...

In the end I suggest you try to rehabilitate it first, then see how you do after a year or 2.. Then if it is bad to where you think you need surgery then go for it. Use it as a last resort.

Shoulder, back and hip surgery suck.
No, mine is a lot worse than how yours sounds. For me it's hard to get to sleep and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night from the pain. It doesn't hurt all the time, but it doesn't take much for me to feel pain. For example, using the computer at work... if I use it for more than 10 minutes straight, my arm will drop from the pain just from holding it up using the mouse. I can lift things, but I'm in pain for a good 20 minutes if I life anything over 10lbs. My shoulder is constantly popping, not dislocating, just a pop... like when you crack your knuckles. At first he said "I was thinking we try PT, but from how much it's popping it would be better to do the surgery."
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Shaban

surgery was yesterday, ended up being inflamed and needed to shave my bone a couple mm. they used a nerve block, so my arm was basically paralyzed for a few hours after surgery. now its just in a lot of pain and the percocet isn't helping
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #17
Shaban

So it's been over a year from my surgery. It was actually a labral tear, not RC. I was told to do 3 weeks of PT, and I ended up doing 6 weeks. No range of motion issues. Now, more than a year later and I still have the same pain in my shoulder. I still can't throw a football, because every time I do, my shoulder pops and the pain starts all over again.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
Quote:
So it's been over a year from my surgery. It was actually a labral tear, not RC. I was told to do 3 weeks of PT, and I ended up doing 6 weeks. No range of motion issues. Now, more than a year later and I still have the same pain in my shoulder. I still can't throw a football, because every time I do, my shoulder pops and the pain starts all over again.

that is scary as ****... you had to go through that and still not close to 100 percent.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Sorry to hear it. I hope you'll be able to find a way to get back to 100 percent.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Same pain as right after the surgery? Or same pain as before the surgery?

What does your doc say? Second opinion?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote