E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #41
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Who needs turbos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356047183736.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	482904  

Last edited by Silversixspeed; 12-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
lol wat.

A turbo COMPRESSES the air, effectively increasing the displacement of an engine. The difference is a turbo is power on demand, so a small engine is still a small engine until more power is needed, whereas a larger displacement engine is going to continue to use more air and fuel that may be necessary to maintain its own momentum.
I know how a turbo/ supercharger work.... Im talking about when the Engine isnt Under boost, A turbo isnt Power on demand, Having a supercharger is on demand

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Economy cars are meant to be economical to buy and run. If you want the best fuel economy, spend more money for a hybrid or electric car.

Turbos also don't give you better fuel economy. They just push more air into the engine.

That is possibly one of the dumbest things I've read on E46Fanatics in a while.
I dont know why you have such a big problem with me but you clearly Miss understood what i meant. I was talking about when the Engine isnt under any boost or very low boost. Im an VERY aware about how turbos/Super chargers work and probably know just as much about them as you do. Ive had to take them apart and fix them on my trucks on the side of the road when they have failed in Minus 40 F On my big rigs Or when ive had problems with my old detroit 2 cycle supercharged motors So i do know a thing or two and im not by any means new to the game.

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Last edited by E46330iguy; 12-20-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #44
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Turbo engines also tend to weigh less than naturally aspirated engines with the same power output.

I think the only reason we're not seeing more is just due to lack of development. If you look back a few years ago, the new turbo engines coming out weren't at all optimized for fuel efficiency. Mitsubishi, Subaru, Mazda - none of the 2000's generation engines were particularly clean or thrifty. Interestingly, Subaru's latest 'base' engine that they introduced to improve efficiency is NA.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #45
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
I know how a turbo/ supercharger work.... Im talking about when the Engine isnt Under boost, A turbo isnt Power on demand, Having a supercharger is on demand
Um...yes...it is and no...you clearly don't.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #46
E46330iguy

Quote:
Um...yes...it is and no...you clearly don't.
Your an idiot. Have you even driven a trubo charged car? Ever heard of turbo lag? A super charged car has no lag, Motor spins the belt car its more power instantly. A turbo waits for exhaust gasses to spin it up and takes time to do so.

Last edited by E46330iguy; 12-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
your inability to correctly use "you're" is frightening.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #48
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
your inability to correctly use "you're" is frightening.
Yet you cant even capitalize.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #49
Scooby24

Quote:
Your an idiot. Have you even driven a trubo charged car? Ever heard of Turbo lag? A super charged car has no lag, Motor spins the belt Car its more power instantly. A turbo Waits for exhaust gasses to spin it up and takes time to do so
Owned 4, tuned all 4, including a meth/water injected build.

You should consider the meaning of power on demand. When you demand power, a turbo or supercharger provides it via denser compressed air. When you don't demand it, it doesn't compress it. Very simple. Turbo lag doesn't mean it's no longer providing power when you demand it.

You claimed that it atomizes the air which helps it burn better and now you're calling me and idiot? You should learn when to throw in your cards. You were bluffing, you got called on it.

Last edited by Scooby24; 12-20-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #50
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Quote:
Your an idiot. Have you even driven a trubo charged car? Ever heard of turbo lag? A super charged car has no lag, Motor spins the belt car its more power instantly. A turbo waits for exhaust gasses to spin it up and takes time to do so.
Just go away.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #51
E46330iguy

Quote:
Owned 4, tuned all 4, including a meth/water injected build.

You should consider the meaning of power on demand. When you demand power, a turbo or supercharger provides it via denser compressed air. When you don't demand it, it doesn't compress it. Very simple. Turbo lag doesn't mean it's no longer providing power when you demand it.
If you want to nit pick, sure while your waiting for it to spool its giving you slightly more power than stock while the turbine is speeding up to full boost. I consider power on demand to be all the power when you put your foot down Not waiting for it to build boost, We have two different versions of "Power on demand"

Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #52
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
Quote:
I think the issue here is that we all would like to know what "atomizing air" means.

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #53
Scooby24

Quote:
If you want to nit pick, sure while your waiting for it to spool its giving you slightly more power than stock while the turbine is speeding up to full boost. I consider power on demand to be all the power when you put your foot down Not waiting for it to build boost, We have two different versions of "Power on demand"
Well, perhaps you should have considered the context of a thread in which we are discussing a turbo's use in an "econobox" versus a naturally aspirated "econobox".

An intelligent person would have deduced that the concept of having power on demand with a turbo would be referring to a turbo's ability to provide power on demand where a naturally aspirated smaller engine cannot.

But that's assuming I'm talking to an intelligent person. Clearly I assumed too much.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #54
E46330iguy

Quote:
Well, perhaps you should have considered the context of a thread in which we are discussing a turbo's use in an "econobox" versus a naturally aspirated "econobox".

An intelligent person would have deduced that the concept of having power on demand with a turbo would be referring to a turbo's ability to provide power on demand where a naturally aspirated smaller engine cannot.

But that's assuming I'm talking to an intelligent person. Clearly I assumed too much.
Does trying to insult me make you feel better about yourself? Great. I didnt say you where wrong nor was I. I said coming into the conversation we didnt understand what each other meant. There is no need to try an insult me, If you felt like trying to teach me/ Help me understand something there is much better ways to do so since helping others is what this forum is about. Like i said we had two differnt versions of "power on demand"

Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #56
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Yet you cant even capitalize.
i'm capitalizing on you being an idiot.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #57
a s u r a 0 s 9
Nikkei is a $lut.

My Ride: is always in a shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
I think the issue here is that we all would like to know what "atomizing air" means.
this.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #58
Scooby24

Quote:
Does trying to insult me make you feel better about yourself? Great.
I've been on the internet every day for at least the last 15 years of my life. If I felt better every time I encountered and pointed out someone that was attempting to discuss a topic over their IQ range, I'd be the happiest person on the planet.

Quote:
I didnt say you where wrong nor was I.
I think calling someone an idiot counts, and yes, you most certainly were.

Quote:
I said coming into the conversation we didnt understand what each other meant.
No, you came into the conversation calling me an idiot.

Quote:
There is no need to try an insult me, If you felt like trying to teach me/ Help me understand something there is much better ways to do so since helping others is what this forum is about. Like i said we had two differnt versions of "power on demand"
If you want to learn something, sit back quietly and read what others have to say instead of attempting to inject your worthless .02 and then call people idiots when they correct you.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #59
gueste46
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
I hate looking at your car, it's so ugly -_______-
His car is far more attractive than your mean spirited, nasty little personality.

And he can always change his car. You are stuck with being you.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #60
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote