E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #81
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
Size of the turbo doesnt have anything to do with psi, I meant to reach full boost at that low rpm the boost probably isn't that high.
A turbo is spooled by how much air is shoved through it. While a GT30 might spool at 3000rpm (fully) in an S2000, the same turbo in a mack truck will spool far faster due to the amount of air the truck motor pushes. So, if he is running a motorcycle turbo on an MR2, the airflow might be considerably greater. Having said that, I don't know too much detail in the setup, since like I said, I saw the car that one time, so I guess those that are more knowledgable in this spectrum can clarify a bit more.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #82
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
A turbo is spooled by how much air is shoved through it. While a GT30 might spool at 3000rpm (fully) in an S2000, the same turbo in a mack truck will spool far faster due to the amount of air the truck motor pushes. So, if he is running a motorcycle turbo on an MR2, the airflow might be considerably greater. Having said that, I don't know too much detail in the setup, since like I said, I saw the car that one time, so I guess those that are more knowledgable in this spectrum can clarify a bit more.
Basic concept correct, details not quite accurate.

A turbo's "spool" is referred to the RPM point at which you've achieve full boost...it's not referring to how much air, but how much pressure. Volume and pressure are two different things, which is why there are compressor maps. Turbo size and PSI are related as based on the compressor, the volume of air pushed through the turbo may not match the demands of the engine, and thus the turbo is having to work harder to maintain the target Pressure...or in many cases with small turbos, cannot maintain that pressure and you see the PSI drop towards redline.

This is why, as I stated, a small turbo is good for autocross but sucks for everything else. Being so small, it most likely cannot maintain target pressure to redline and if it can, it's so out of its efficiency range all it's doing is blowing hot air and not making good power.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #83
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
They don't all have turbos because it's more expensive.

Now what's all this other talk about?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #84
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
why does no good companies sells oil online?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #85
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
I still want to know what atomizing air is.

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #86
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Serious question or trolling?

If srs, then it means that the desired boost/tuned boost is achieved at xxx rpm. In the case of that MR2, full boost (or full spool) is achieved at 900 rpm or so (turbo is a Gt22 I believe with a few minor modifications.)
I was trolling. Spool is generally just a term for positive pressure, as mentioned. Full boost at idle (or even near idle) is basically impossible without a major restriction at the top end. Now, I could believe the possibility that it starts to spool at idle, but that's about it.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #87
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
I was trolling. Spool is generally just a term for positive pressure, as mentioned. Full boost at idle (or even near idle) is basically impossible without a major restriction at the top end. Now, I could believe the possibility that it starts to spool at idle, but that's about it.
Not quite true. While you are right, you can't have full boost from idle to redline, you can pick which extremes you want it at. If you have full boost near idle, you sacrifice PEAK power at the top end, but you will STILL be making good power up top (although not as much). For autocross (I don't autocross, so I may be wrong) it seems like it is what you want so you can sit in 1-2 gears the whole time and have power absolutely everywhere, especially with those tiny motors.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #88
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Sigh...OK. Your buddy's MR2, with a turbo way too small, makes full boost at idle and is perfect for autocross because he only uses two gears. You win.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #89
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
why does no good companies sells oil online?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #90
pancakes

My Ride: car, truck, & bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Sigh...OK. Your buddy's MR2, with a turbo way too small, makes full boost at idle and is perfect for autocross because he only uses two gears. You win.
don't bother... he tried to convince me that an s2k was an upgrade from my boosted m roadster

Quote:
If you want a true go cart feel on the street the only cars are a miata, an s2000, and a boxter. The s2000 is the best to drive due to the transmission. 400whp are commonplace these days with bulletproof reliability and excellent resale. Go drive one. A boosted s2000 is quite an upgrade from a z3. One of our local guys owns both and tells us that even with 10k in suspension work, it's not even close. A 400-500whp s2k would put a bigger grin on your face then any car mentioned here, and it's nice to know that you won't be in the shop every 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I don't support inertacial dating either, I'd tell you right to your face.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #91
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
I still want to know what atomizing air is.
i think he just said that because it was "A" day on sesame street.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #92
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
I haz a turbo

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #93
Fergo

My Ride: S52 E30(dead)08 135i
I haz two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote