E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Launching

How do use guys Launch a SMG M3 with out launch control. Kind scared to use launch control lol.
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
Obviously your not balls to the walls.

Last edited by danwilz; 12-21-2012 at 03:31 PM.
danwilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilz View Post
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Ballstowalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilz View Post
Lmao I'm just asking how u guys do it

I put my foot on brake rev to 2 let go of brake and hold on lol

Tracking off, S6 , and sometimes sport on doesn't do much.

But launch control scares the **** out of me not trying to brake my pump agin..

Last edited by Ballstowalls; 12-21-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballstowalls View Post
Lmao I'm just asking how u guys do it

I put my foot on brake rev to 2 let go of brake and hold on lol

Tracking off, S6 , and sometimes sport on doesn't do much.

But launch control scares the **** out of me not trying to brake my pump agin..
So you are pretty much executing launch control except for the fact that you are not holding the sequential shifter back.... Not really sure what the difference is.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Ballstowalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
So you are pretty much executing launch control except for the fact that you are not holding the sequential shifter back.... Not really sure what the difference is.
Im sure there's a difference launch control puts the whole tranny under tremendous stress and pressure. I don't think I'm putting as much stress with the way I launch please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ballstowalls; 12-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
scca_ziptie

Quote:
Im sure there's a difference launch control puts the whole tranny under tremendous stress and pressure. I don't think I'm putting as much stress with the way I launch please correct me if I'm wrong.
When you use launch control the car has the clutch disengaged - the way you are doing it the clutch is engaged, car trying to move forward and you are "holding" it back with the brakes. If anything, the way you are 'launching' the car is harder on it compared to using the 'real' launch control as you are putting a load on the transmission..

Last edited by scca_ziptie; 12-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
When you use launch control the car is at least in neutral - the way you are doing it the car is in gear trying to move and you are "holding" it back with the brakes. If anything, the way you are 'launching' the car is harder on it compared to using the 'real' launch control as you are putting a load on the transmission..
What he said! US spec LC maxes out at about 1900-2000 rpm with your foot held to the floor which is low when speaking in regards to launching a car. You can also apply even less throttle and get the rpms to bounce around 1000-1200. I say launch the car! The subframe mounts are likely to crack regardless, and that is really the only part of the car that you should worry about when doing this.

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Ballstowalls

Quote:
When you use launch control the car has the clutch disengaged - the way you are doing it the clutch is engaged, car trying to move forward and you are "holding" it back with the brakes. If anything, the way you are 'launching' the car is harder on it compared to using the 'real' launch control as you are putting a load on the transmission..
Ok cool that makes sense thanks. But when I do it I don't hold the RPMs for long max 2 seconds

And I have a convertible Aren't the subframes reinforced?? So will I be fine

Last edited by Ballstowalls; 12-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
NICKBRUM

What your currently doing is putting a stress on the whole drive train. Are any of them enough to hurt the car? My opinion is no. With that being said its a real inefficient way to launch. LC is exactly the same as dropping the clutch in a normal manual car. There is nothing magical going on when you do this. Since the clutch is controlled by electronics that drive hydraulics, LC allows you to have the car in 1st gear and drop the clutch at your demand.Euro spec software is upwards of 4k rpm when it lets go, now that is a effing launch!!

|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Ballstowalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKBRUM View Post
What your currently doing is putting a stress on the whole drive train. Are any of them enough to hurt the car? My opinion is no. With that being said its a real inefficient way to launch. LC is exactly the same as dropping the clutch in a normal manual car. There is nothing magical going on when you do this. Since the clutch is controlled by electronics that drive hydraulics, LC allows you to have the car in 1st gear and drop the clutch at your demand.Euro spec software is upwards of 4k rpm when it lets go, now that is a effing launch!!
Wow 4K!!! That sounds good to me. Ill look into better software then thanks .
Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
scca_ziptie

Quote:
this
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
And you have a vert too so don't worry too much about the subframe.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
NICKBRUM

Quote:
Wow 4K!!! That sounds good to me. Ill look into better software then thanks .
Hmm if your scared of a 2k launch, why go to 4k? Unless you have great tires you will burn out with US spec LC anyway. I have Hankook V12's which came with the car. These tires will not hook up even with a 2k launch. I have to feather out of the throttle to hook up. With my rubber a quick 1/2 stab of the peddle gets me off the line the best. if you mash 100% throttle that is burnout mode, which is exactly that.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
LC and Burnout mode are initiated the same way with a small difference. For LC mode, you press the accelerator pedal slowly to the floor. For Burnout mode, you stab the pedal to the floor.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
NICKBRUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_f22_pilot View Post
LC and Burnout mode are initiated the same way with a small difference. For LC mode, you press the accelerator pedal slowly to the floor. For Burnout mode, you stab the pedal to the floor.
From one SMG guy to another, what am I missing?? For LC you must hold the shifter forward in S6. I have not noticed a quick or slow pedal mash to make a difference while doing this. I have done both holding the stick keeps the clutch engaged, so no difference IMO. Burn out is just S6 and a full pedal mash from a stop. Im just trying to clear it up for those less informed.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Ballstowalls

Quote:
Hmm if your scared of a 2k launch, why go to 4k? Unless you have great tires you will burn out with US spec LC anyway. I have Hankook V12's which came with the car. These tires will not hook up even with a 2k launch. I have to feather out of the throttle to hook up. With my rubber a quick 1/2 stab of the peddle gets me off the line the best. if you mash 100% throttle that is burnout mode, which is exactly that.
Not scared to launch lol I'm scared to brake it...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
For either mode,
DSC off
S6
Shifter forwar
d
** for Launch Control **
just slowly roll the pedal to the floor.
OR
** for BurnOut Mode **
mash the pedal to the floor

Launch Control will attempt to not so harshly engage the clutch to reduce wheelspin. (Tires and suspension greatly affects one's sucess)
Burnout Mode will fully lock the clutch enabling burnouts

NOTE: There are a number of other tricks that you can employ depending on which program your vehicle has (NA or EU) I have the EU3/CSL program.
Also, the LC usage is stored in the DME

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 12-21-2012 at 11:14 PM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #19
Ballstowalls

Thanks for all the info guys
Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
I would not launch my SMG ever. To much to pay for a massive SMG failure, I do track the balls off it though....

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote