E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #21
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
As the previous owner of two 1968 Camaros, and a 1968 and 1969 Corvette (30+ years ago), I love the Chevy small block engine. If I did this to my E46, it would have to have fuel injection. Carburetors, as I remember, are a pita.

What kind of mods are you doing to the differential and rear subframe to support this swap? Some people us the M3 diff. The rear subframe really needs to be reinforced to handle the torquey small block.

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #22
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I ate a bagel and a banana this morning for breakfast, thus throwing off my car's perfect 50/50 weight distribution. I could tell, because it was handling really poorly. I was a bit worried at first, but then I realized the problem, threw up out the window, and didn't magically run my car off the road this morning on the way to work. Crisis averted.

And then I found five dollars.
Funny you should say that because my car felt really weird last week after I had a really good dump.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
As the previous owner of two 1968 Camaros, and a 1968 and 1969 Corvette (30+ years ago), I love the Chevy small block engine. If I did this to my E46, it would have to have fuel injection. Carburetors, as I remember, are a pita.

What kind of mods are you doing to the differential and rear subframe to support this swap? Some people us the M3 diff. The rear subframe really needs to be reinforced to handle the torquey small block.
This is a really good conversion. I don't think he's ruined the car because it has the same suspension and handling, which is far more integral to the character of a BMW. But I do agree that fuel injection would be a more user-friendly engine.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
This is a really good conversion. I don't think he's ruined the car because it has the same suspension and handling, which is far more integral to the character of a BMW. But I do agree that fuel injection would be a more user-friendly engine.
He'd also get more performance and efficiency.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Don't you have to replace the entire power train when you bump up the motor like that?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
You should have parts that can handle the upped HP and torque, yes. I don't know how much our driveshaft can handle, but a single-mass flywheel is very important if you do something like this since they can handle a wider HP/Torquw range compared to a dual-mass, which is tuned for a pretty small range to provide smoother transmission operation.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
He's using a Chevy auto, no doubt with a custom driveshaft (probably one-piece). I'd say the diff should be able to handle it, I don't think Vorschlag changed theirs.

Iron block chevy v8 is going to be way heavier than an M54. M54s are lighter than the e36 24vs, too, so....probably a substantial weight gain there. Still waiting on additional pictures where the car will actually work and retains a/c, ps, etc. as stated in the first post.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #28
WDE46

A iron block might move the car to 55/45. No good.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
fuel injection would be a lot better (and looks like it'll be an option)

not only is the engine going to be heavier but the Chevy transmission should be as well. Yes, weight changes the original handling but some of that can be corrected

325 axles are smaller and weaker. would be better to use 330 ones and even more wise to use the M3 ones along with the stronger LSD. even M3s blow out the driveshafts and axles.

that diff is going to tear out the mounting blocks from that torque. reinforcement plates are a must in the rear subframe mounting area.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Wow, some good questions and points are being raised. To be clear, I'm the OP but not the builder. I'm certain he'll be back here to answer some of your questions. I invited him to join this forum and participate. Watch for his posts in this thread, there's one now on the first page. He may take over when comfortable posting pics, etc. I talked with him on a phone and thought this project may be exciting to check out.

Builder's Name: "v8madhatter"

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 12-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
WaggonMan

My Ride: e46 325i
Hey, dropping a tuned LS3 into a wagon sounds wonderful. Talk about a sleeper!!!!!!:O

K&N Panel Filter
Cool Carbon Pads on 4 corners
M3 Motor Mount's
M3 LCAB's

Oil Changed every 5,000 miles since acquired at 111,00mi.
Trans serviced every 30K since acquired at 111,000mi

Wrecked right now, but 100% rebuildable (4/11/2014)
WaggonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #32
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Wow, some good questions and points are being raised. To be clear, I'm the OP but not the builder. I'm certain he'll be back here to answer some of your questions. I invited him to join this forum and participate. Watch for his posts in this thread, there's one now on the first page. He may take over when comfortable posting pics, etc. I talked with him on a phone and thought this project may be exciting to check out.

Builder's Name: "v8madhatter"

Don't get discouraged. There are several threads on this forum where people have dropped a Corvette engine into an E46. It sounds like v8madhatter is taking the pains to keep as many original parts as possible, and that is encouraging. Most of us support that.

I'd much rather see a chevy smallblock dropped into an E46 than tinted windows and blacked out body lights. "Murdered" I think is the term for it. Good term, don't take offense, but I'm not a fan.

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Not really new. They have put LSX engines in BMW and Porsche for quite a while.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #34
v8madhatter

My Ride: 2001 325ci/2004 325i
hi guys. well yes fuel injection is goining to be the only way to go i just wanted to get it runing and ecu to still work first,drive it a little before i start on injection system.rigth now working on getting the drive by wire to run the throtle body on a stand alone fuel system but thats for later for now i did get the tranny ecu to shift with the chevy tranny and to work the indicator in the cluster so that means that the neutral safety switch is working and the engine cranks with the key yaaaa! for the drive line it is still two piece bmw with slip yoke end.and the wieght problem as you will see when car back on the ground the front of car is half inch higher then before.the wieght differance between the m56 and tranny to the small block and tranny is minimal and its all in how you postion it. yes there are added support to rear of car but not going for 500hp,500ftlb of torque going for a solid 350-400 hp with 350ftlbs. this is to be the best of both solid power great handling car classy ride.i do belive the diff will be fine, but belive me i will have fun finding out how much power it can handle then ill go from there on that.and yes my biggest goal is to keep as mutch bmw in the bmw as possible.as for a/c p/s alt waiting for cnc part to be finished and then all will be installed with origanal pulleys so all will spin at same speed it did on bmw engine and still running bmw ecu and sensors so all will function as did before. i am adding one pull fan to inside of radiator shroud.special adapters will be in next friday for fuel system and tranny cooller lines so more pics after that for front of engine and cnc parts will be on.
v8madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #35
Angelic0-

My Ride: BMW E34, E46 & E38
Send a message via MSN to Angelic0- Send a message via Skype™ to Angelic0-
You guys do realize that the motor is sitting where a M43 would sit, and last time i checked the 4cyl E46s with good suspension handle better than the 6cyl ones due to the motor weight sitting behind and in line with the strut towers...

also, with the transmission being a heavy object he has placed the weight more backwards in the car, again a good thing...

Don't go bashing on the mans vehicle, i do however suggest a aftermarket soloution on the "blow-me-up" stock radiator & fill-up canister...
Angelic0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #36
v8madhatter

My Ride: 2001 325ci/2004 325i
you can run lower press in coolling system with a press relief (overflow tank) things will be fine just fine
v8madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #37
Angelic0-

My Ride: BMW E34, E46 & E38
Send a message via MSN to Angelic0- Send a message via Skype™ to Angelic0-
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8madhatter View Post
you can run lower press in coolling system with a press relief (overflow tank) things will be fine just fine
Pictures of the cooling system thanks, would be very informative as i am swapping a 360 Magnum w/ 47RE tranny into a E36 ti...
Angelic0- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #38
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic0- View Post
You guys do realize that the motor is sitting where a M43 would sit, and last time i checked the 4cyl E46s with good suspension handle better than the 6cyl ones due to the motor weight sitting behind and in line with the strut towers...

also, with the transmission being a heavy object he has placed the weight more backwards in the car, again a good thing...

Don't go bashing on the mans vehicle, i do however suggest a aftermarket soloution on the "blow-me-up" stock radiator & fill-up canister...
The 4 cylinder E46s handle better because they are lighter, not because of engine position. This Chevy V8 may weigh more than the M54, it will shift weight up front. No one has a problem with this. It's just something we're pointing out since our cars are known for the their 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
I think its awesome! Keep up the good work!!

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
So you Britts do have a sense of humor. Really, too funny!!!

Just wondering, though, if you measure your speed in kilometres, why are cars that are listed for sale shown in miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I ate a bagel and a banana this morning for breakfast, thus throwing off my car's perfect 50/50 weight distribution. I could tell, because it was handling really poorly. I was a bit worried at first, but then I realized the problem, threw up out the window, and didn't magically run my car off the road this morning on the way to work. Crisis averted.

And then I found five dollars.
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote