E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 195 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #1261
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Question BMW E46 330Ci 2002

Hi there guys.

Iam thinking of buying these headers from trader nas http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3503758835...84.m1423.l2648 and a pair of these 200 cell metal cats http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308201290...84.m1423.l2649
I don't want to run catless and also i don't want to have a CEL..
If i cut holes on the cats, (remove/cut the second bungs from the headers) and weld the holes for the post cat sensors on the cats like supersprint http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-475...allic-cat.aspx, will i have a CEL...???

Last edited by zaharias; 12-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.
zaharias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #1262
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
Hi there guys.

Iam thinking of buying these headers from trader nas http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3503758835...84.m1423.l2648 and a pair of these 200 cell metal cats http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308201290...84.m1423.l2649
I don't want to run catless and also i don't want to have a CEL..
If i cut holes on the cats, (remove/cut the second bungs from the headers) and weld the holes for the post cat sensors on the cats like supersprint http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-475...allic-cat.aspx, will i have a CEL...???
1) This is overall just a bad idea. Why would you remove your cats to get headers, and then add cats again? You will have practically no benefit to spending what's probably going to be $500 (this is if you do the installation yourself, if not, add another $3-400)

2) If you don't want to run catless and don't want a CEL, enjoy your car as is. Again, I'm seeing no point to what you want to do.

3) Bimmerbrake headers are the same cost as the eBay headers, and they come from a vendor here. Tradernas is a greedy SOB who noticed the demand and shot up his price from what used to be around $60.

4) There have been at least 3 different methods mentioned in this thread alone for eliminating the CEL with no cats.

5) Those SS cats don't have the sensor bung IN the cat itself. Putting the post-cat O2 sensor anywhere downstream of the cat is fine.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #1263
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire730 View Post
I don't know if BMW has tighter parameters but I do know from personal experience that the non fouler trick worked perfectly for me on a 2001 Gmc Jimmy. It has been installed for almost a year and the light never came back on and the cat was completely gutted out.
On your BMW it might work for a few hours, or a few weeks. Nevertheless, it will come back on.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #1264
zaharias

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
1) This is overall just a bad idea. Why would you remove your cats to get headers, and then add cats again? You will have practically no benefit to spending what's probably going to be $500 (this is if you do the installation yourself, if not, add another $3-400)

2) If you don't want to run catless and don't want a CEL, enjoy your car as is. Again, I'm seeing no point to what you want to do.

3) Bimmerbrake headers are the same cost as the eBay headers, and they come from a vendor here. Tradernas is a greedy SOB who noticed the demand and shot up his price from what used to be around $60.

4) There have been at least 3 different methods mentioned in this thread alone for eliminating the CEL with no cats.

5) Those SS cats don't have the sensor bung IN the cat itself. Putting the post-cat O2 sensor anywhere downstream of the cat is fine.
Thank you for your time & reply mate.

Future plans may be f/i or going ///M.. for now i want to improve my exhaust sound and get the most of my exhaust with the less possible money..
I want to be enviroment friendly and i also hate that bad smell (catless) that's why i want to do headers with 200 cell metal cats.. But before buying stuff, i want to see what problems i will face.. cause i don't want trouble with CEL.. and i want to pass emissions..

There is benefit.. with aftermarket headers & cats compared to oem.. i can understand that catless gives more gains.. but i don't want that..
I believe aftermarket headers have better flow than oem.. and oem cats are 300-400 cell.. with 2 200 cell metal cats (like supersprint does) i believe i will have some gains, pass emissions and be enviroment friendly..

I will check Bimmerbrake headers also..
Iam from Greece.. i have 2-3 friends that bought from trader nas and were very satisfied..
Old 12-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #1265
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
ac can you lead me to where the 3 methods to eliminate the CEL light please?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #1266
ac_2007

Quote:
Thank you for your time & reply mate.

Future plans may be f/i or going ///M.. for now i want to improve my exhaust sound and get the most of my exhaust with the less possible money..
I want to be enviroment friendly and i also hate that bad smell (catless) that's why i want to do headers with 200 cell metal cats.. But before buying stuff, i want to see what problems i will face.. cause i don't want trouble with CEL.. and i want to pass emissions..

There is benefit.. with aftermarket headers & cats compared to oem.. i can understand that catless gives more gains.. but i don't want that..
I believe aftermarket headers have better flow than oem.. and oem cats are 300-400 cell.. with 2 200 cell metal cats (like supersprint does) i believe i will have some gains, pass emissions and be enviroment friendly..

I will check Bimmerbrake headers also..
Iam from Greece.. i have 2-3 friends that bought from trader nas and were very satisfied..
There is no benefit to what you're doing. Put that money to better use and save for your M/forced induction.

If you're going for an exhaust note, there are literally dozens of different muffler/axleback/catback exhaust options.

Going by internet/North American market prices:
- OEM Catback & Block Gaskets = $90
- Copper head nuts = $30
- Headers = $300
- 2 High-flow cats = $200
- Cutting & welding of cats = $100 (at least, stainless welding is more expensive)
------------------------------------
Total : ~$750, not including VAT or installation.

Best case scenario, you will gain 6-8hp, which you will never be able to feel. It takes at least a 10% overall increase in a car's power to be noticeable. For this cost, you might as well get coilovers, a proper dyno tune (even cheaper & more power), or purchase a shark-injector.

Mark my words, you will regret the decision to go ahead with this project, should you choose to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
ac can you lead me to where the 3 methods to eliminate the CEL light please?
We've discussed them via PM, where I provided links to my contributions, and they are mentioned in this thread.

- EU2 tune
- O2 Sims
- Custom AA/3rd party tune
- Non-foulers (don't work)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #1267
zaharias

Smile

Well.. iam afraid you re right my friend.
Thank you for the detailed description.
I might put these money at coilovers..
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #1268
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post

We've discussed them via PM, where I provided links to my contributions, and they are mentioned in this thread.

- EU2 tune
- O2 Sims
- Custom AA/3rd party tune
- Non-foulers (don't work)
You right.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #1269
777eThOd*

My Ride: spins too much
Now I have to ask this, I just noticed that theres a new kit on eBay that comes with headers and midpipes, etc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-325-...e0d069&vxp=mtr now in that pic, are the cats moved lower toward in the midpipes? cause i want to get this on my non-m and don't want a fail emissions, The reason I'm asking that i don't want to fail emissions is cause i noticed this thread is from 08 lol.

2007 BMW 335i FBO 6MT - Current
2013 Nissan Nismo 370Z - Current
2004 Non-M Facelift Coupe - SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD

Last edited by 777eThOd*; 12-30-2012 at 10:59 PM.
777eThOd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #1270
paincake

My Ride: Subaru WRX
Ok im a noobie. I dont own a BMW. My Army buddy is trying to beef his up and im trying to help him. He has a 2006 330XI with no mods. I suggested a CAI, light weight underdrive pulley, Clutch Master FX200 clutch with a Fidanza "Born to fly" lightweight flywheel, aluminum or carbon fiber drive shaft, light weight wheels, 2.5" exhaust *dont know what muffler to get*, lighter front seats, racing radiator with silicone hosing, carbon fiber hood and trunk, Eibach coilovers, Eibach front and rear sway bars, and a BMS tuner. He wants a new header system because the stock one is so obviously restrictive, so i have been looking and all i can find is the supersprints for a **** ton of money. I looked on ebay and none of the headers fit the 06 model. Where can i go to find some for a decent price? Decent meaning 600 and cheaper.
paincake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #1271
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
I'm going to sound like an old boring idiot,but even with that full list of mods,assuming you also go supersprint full exhaust,the car will only be minimally different. If your friend is truly an auto enthusiast that won't be satisfied with minimal gains,then I strongly reccomend a different car to mod. I did all those mods and then some on my 330ci and the biggest change was from lightweight wheels,and possibly the headers. In the end,I lost 3 years of my life,thousands of dollars in mods parts,and car depretiation,and ultimately sold it to buy an M3.

If you MUST wrench on a non M e46 try to buy all that stuff second hand so you can resell it for what you payed in two years.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1272
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

But to simply answer your question,BMW euro headers are what you really want in that price range. I think an e46fanatics user Donovan M3 has access to them and can usually ship them at 5-600$. Do NOT waste your life with ebay headers unless you are a skilled fabricator.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #1273
paincake

hes only looking for about 300awhp and around the same torque i believe this is possible with his platform with bolt ons and possibly a dry nitrous kit and a good tune. If you really dont think its worth the time than ill believe you. I dont drive a BMW so i dont know these things but i know for sure he cant afford an M3.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1274
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

I would compare the price of all those options to a entry level supercharger. Then you have one project to focus on,it will produce more gains than all of those mods together,and it is a proven path to power. If cash is an issue,put down what you can and dump the rest on a credit card. That's the American way!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #1275
paincake

lol does procharger make anything for it?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #1276
PNWDiego

My Ride: 328ci
Has anyone bought "ebay headers" lately??

I was not able to find gtmotogarage or trader-nas headers on ebay.

I did find ebstores still sells them so I want to ask if anyone has bought from them lately to confirm that the advertised 323/328 headers will fit my 328ci.

Or do they stilll have them mixed up??
PNWDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #1277
zaharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDiego View Post
Has anyone bought "ebay headers" lately??

I was not able to find gtmotogarage or trader-nas headers on ebay.

I did find ebstores still sells them so I want to ask if anyone has bought from them lately to confirm that the advertised 323/328 headers will fit my 328ci.

Or do they stilll have them mixed up??
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=350375883518
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #1278
PNWDiego

My Ride: 328ci
Quote:
Thanks but I would def like to keep it under 200 since it's for my daily beater
PNWDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1279
dymONE

My Ride: E46 323Ci M-tech II
I have a question about compatibility.
Does fit M54 headers to M52 engine if I want to use full 330i exhaust?
Is there any difference between these two headers, expect flange position/rotation?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #1280
ac_2007

Interdasting question. I suppose if you wanted to use 330 headers + 330 exhaust on your 323, it should work.
Not sure if the exhaust hangers are the same though. As long as you stay consistent (match header with exhaust) I don't see an issue.

Many people have accidentally installed the wrong headers, the difference is in the flanges.

Last edited by ac_2007; 02-26-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361885078
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote