E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
xXJay22Xx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31
My Ride: BMW E46 323CI
What Halo Headlights are better?

I'm considering buying some Halo Headlights for my 2000 E46 BMW Convertible, and the guy who I'm buying it from asked me if I wanted to get LED or the "CCFL" Headlights. I recall looking into Halo headlights awhile back, or when I was researching about them. It is said that the LED aren't recommended by most people because the LED lights have a gap between each light and is noticeable.

So, here I am asking for some advice. Thanks in advance!
xXJay22Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
330xIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,335
My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
CCFL are known to burst into flames. If you're worried about seeing the individual LEDs get Orion Lites with the opaque option. Definitely bright enough and well worth the $$

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
__________________

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
xXJay22Xx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31
My Ride: BMW E46 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold9485 View Post
CCFL are known to burst into flames. If you're worried about seeing the individual LEDs get Orion Lites with the opaque option. Definitely bright enough and well worth the $$

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
I'm not all that good with knowing about cars or headlights so if it's possible can you tell me how it works and a short description if possible. A image will be much of help of how they look. and are these Orion lights headlights or the halo ring?
xXJay22Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,578
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Search, its been discussed to death.

taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
xXJay22Xx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31
My Ride: BMW E46 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Search, its been discussed to death.

Lol I see this forum isn't friendly but thank you for trolling on my thread.
Apperantly there isn't very matured peasants in this generation you are excused.
xXJay22Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
morningisbad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Onalaska, WI
Posts: 549
My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
Lol I see this forum isn't friendly but thank you for trolling on my thread.
Apperantly there isn't very matured peasants in this generation you are excused.
I hate to say it, but this is probably in the top 3 most discussed topics on the forum. I think there is even a stickie about it...
__________________
"When makin' a questionable decision, sometimes the only way to find the answer is to shut your eyes & mash the pedal to the metal, you guys."
-Karl Welzein
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
xXJay22Xx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31
My Ride: BMW E46 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
I hate to say it, but this is probably in the top 3 most discussed topics on the forum. I think there is even a stickie about it...
Hmmm can't seem to find the stickies. I'm new to these forums as you can tell, and I'm sorry for not getting the hang of it at first hand. A little guidance would be good. Thank you.
xXJay22Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
JS330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,104
My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
Lol I see this forum isn't friendly but thank you for trolling on my thread.
Apperantly there isn't very matured peasants in this generation you are excused.
Wow nice to meet you philistine, your delicate comments won't help you very much here.

Have a good look up the top of the lighting sub forum; you'll see thousands of threads discussing the same thing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
I hope he isn't using Pirelli condoms..
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,578
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
Lol I see this forum isn't friendly but thank you for trolling on my thread.
Apperantly there isn't very matured peasants in this generation you are excused.
There is a menu item at the top with the label "search", learn to use it. Even the peasants know how to search, get off your high horse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
__________________
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hempstead, NY
Posts: 1,894
My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Jay22...Welcome.... This is a friendly forum. We try to keep it that way anyways. Opaque Orion Lites are a good inexpensive but effective way to go for Angel eyes. I have them and they work fine. Get them and you will be satisfied... .... Heres the Orion lite link.... http://www.umnitza.com/orion-lite-60...es-p-5686.html

Last edited by SMUUUUUV; 12-23-2012 at 02:30 AM.
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
xXJay22Xx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31
My Ride: BMW E46 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Jay22...Welcome.... This is a friendly forum. We try to keep it that way anyways. Opaque Orion Lites are a good inexpensive but effective way to go for Angel eyes. I have them and they work fine. Get them and you will be satisfied... .... Heres the Orion lite link.... http://www.umnitza.com/orion-lite-60...es-p-5686.html
Thank you for the warm welcoming. To me it doesn't seem like a friendly forum sorry to say. The two "mr. Know it all" being rude , while I'm asking in a fine manner. Yes, I know there is a search bar and a lot of people spoke of this, but isn't that the whole reason for forums to ask questions and learn more regardless if people talked about it in the past? They don't realize every question is different. Peasants don't know how to think with their mind and talk out of their asses.

Anyways, it's good to know there are some friendly people. Regarding the "Opaque Orion Lites" I heard rumors that clip on angel eyes tend to break. Is it true?
xXJay22Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hempstead, NY
Posts: 1,894
My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
I have had them for a few years now and none have broken and they all have been Orion Lites....You do have a few members here that tend to stress the "Search" feature instead of offering vital information or just not saying anything relevant at all, if it bothers you dont fuel their fire that is within them with a retort equal to their response to a previously mentioned request....Just put them on ignore. This actually is one of the more friendly forums on e46fanatics....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
patrickmurray2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 216
My Ride: 2005 bmw 330i e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
I'm considering buying some Halo Headlights for my 2000 E46 BMW Convertible, and the guy who I'm buying it from asked me if I wanted to get LED or the "CCFL" Headlights. I recall looking into Halo headlights awhile back, or when I was researching about them. It is said that the LED aren't recommended by most people because the LED lights have a gap between each light and is noticeable.

So, here I am asking for some advice. Thanks in advance!
LED halo lights might be a little more expensive but they are 10x better the gap in between each individual led are hard to notice and LED's are much brighter and will last a lot longer than ccfl's, go LED you will be much happier
patrickmurray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
330xIce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,335
My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Orion Lites have the option to add insurance and Umnitza will replace them if theyre broken. Orion V2's have a warranty too.
__________________

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
taylor192
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Best Place on Earth
Posts: 1,578
My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
Yes, I know there is a search bar and a lot of people spoke of this, but isn't that the whole reason for forums to ask questions and learn more regardless if people talked about it in the past?
No.

Every new useless thread makes searching for information harder as the search results return more and more crap. I don't expect you to understand this though and continue to ask the same questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
They don't realize every question is different. Peasants don't know how to think with their mind and talk out of their asses.
You're talking out your ass cause your question is no different, its been discussed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
I heard rumors that clip on angel eyes tend to break. Is it true?
If you search, or go to the lighting forum and read, you'll find out lots of information about how likely the clips are to break.

That's what a good new member would do, especially after having been advised multiple times. Keep up the crap and you'll find out how friendly it is to have the knowledgeable members ignore your stupid questions cause you're too lazy, ignorant or entitled to search.

Yet since you're going to continue to ask dumb questions, I might as well shut you up. I have Khoalty LED halos, they look like this up close:



and this from far:



and are nearly identical to the Umnitza LEDs, even down to the harness and clips (I helped a friend install his Umnitza after I installed my Khoalty). Albeit the Umnitza LEDs are whiter, while the Khoalty LEDs are bluer and cost less.

The clips tend to break during installation if you're a dumbass, so I am confident you'll break them.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,208
My Ride: 2002 330i
Moved to the proper section.

LED angel eyes are the best. They do not catch fire and depending which one you get it will never fail (Umnitza Orion V2)
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hempstead, NY
Posts: 1,894
My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
I'm not all that good with knowing about cars or headlights so if it's possible can you tell me how it works and a short description if possible. A image will be much of help of how they look. and are these Orion lights headlights or the halo ring?
Orion lites are the rings not the headlights. The price for Orion lites start at $69 and if you want the opaque add $20. The Opaque lights look way better than the regular led angel eyes. They contain a "covering" that make the lights look better when they are off because you dont really see the led's like little pieces of rice surrounding your headlights and look better when they are on because of the same thing. Khoalty angel eyes are $129...and are identical to the Orion lites without the opaque option. Do the math..... Get the Orion lites with the opaque option then form your own opinion and take it from there. Those are one of the lowest cost option you have for led angel eyes. Heres the link for khoalty angel eyes. As you will see that they are identical to the regular orion lites and $60 more....http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46-led-angel-eyes.html For more info on your lighting need visit the "Lighting" forum on this board. There you will find all you need to know about lighting for your car....
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc
Sponsor
 
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 575
My Ride: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Orion lites are the rings not the headlights. The price for Orion lites start at $69 and if you want the opaque add $20. The Opaque lights look way better than the regular led angel eyes. They contain a "covering" that make the lights look better when they are off because you dont really see the led's like little pieces of rice surrounding your headlights and look better when they are on because of the same thing. Khoalty angel eyes are $129...and are identical to the Orion lites without the opaque option. Do the math..... Get the Orion lites with the opaque option then form your own opinion and take it from there. Those are one of the lowest cost option you have for led angel eyes. Heres the link for khoalty angel eyes. As you will see that they are identical to the regular orion lites and $60 more....http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46-led-angel-eyes.html For more info on your lighting need visit the "Lighting" forum on this board. There you will find all you need to know about lighting for your car....
You're partially right, our old angel eyes were identical to orion lites and we sold them for 50 bucks a set, not 60, not 99, but 50, to us that's all they are worth, they're problematic. There's a reason we dropped them

The Helios on the other hand, are very different, brighter, and a hefty warranty, and are much more comparable to others even higher priced products.
Dean | KHOALTY, Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
morningisbad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Onalaska, WI
Posts: 549
My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXJay22Xx View Post
Hmmm can't seem to find the stickies. I'm new to these forums as you can tell, and I'm sorry for not getting the hang of it at first hand. A little guidance would be good. Thank you.
For the record, I don't think I was being rude or a "know it all" by any means. I would have provided the link, but I was on my phone. With that said, here's the link to the stickie.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=390303
__________________
"When makin' a questionable decision, sometimes the only way to find the answer is to shut your eyes & mash the pedal to the metal, you guys."
-Karl Welzein
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
xXJay22Xx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31
My Ride: BMW E46 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
I have had them for a few years now and none have broken and they all have been Orion Lites....You do have a few members here that tend to stress the "Search" feature instead of offering vital information or just not saying anything relevant at all, if it bothers you dont fuel their fire that is within them with a retort equal to their response to a previously mentioned request....Just put them on ignore. This actually is one of the more friendly forums on e46fanatics....
In that case I think I'm going to go with the Orion Lites Opaque 6k and add the life insurance lol. Whole reason I was wanted to get the new headlights was because some people's review on Angel eye rings tend to break. Since you have experience in this I will take your word . Although I wanted a true white color, but 6k is good.
Exactly my point, offering vital information is great in many ways. Reason being, because old post get outdated and certain things change. When new information is added on to a person asking the question again lol I'm just saying. To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all I always come across these people. I just tend to push their buttons a little to see how far their attention span reach. Yes indeed I am really thankful to everyone who responded and help me get useful information.
Thank you again, sir. You have changed my mind in this forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
For the record, I don't think I was being rude or a "know it all" by any means. I would have provided the link, but I was on my phone. With that said, here's the link to the stickie.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=390303
Sorry, I mistook your reply after I read the other guys reply so I was kinda in that mood of defending and ended up thinking you were siding with him. In that case, my apologies to you. Thank you for your guidance


Thank you all for the reply! God bless you all! and Happy Holidays and a Happy new years to you all!
xXJay22Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use