E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Obama starts Hawaiian vacation, leaving Washington on ice

KAILUA, Hawaii (Reuters) - Taking what promised to be a very brief Christmas break from the ongoing struggle to avoid the "fiscal cliff" of tax hikes and spending cuts, President Barack Obama relaxed with his family on Saturday at a beach retreat in Hawaii.

Congress was to return to Washington next Thursday and Obama has pledged to work with lawmakers to strike a deal to avoid the economic shock from tax and spending measures set to take effect on January 1 if a deal can't be reached, which many economists say could push the U.S. economy back into recession.

The president is expected to indulge in some of his favorite pastimes on the island where he was born and raised: golf, an expedition for the local treat "shave ice," and an evening out with family and friends. He hit the links at the nearby Marine Corps base under sunny skies on Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, he is expected to attend funeral services for Senator Daniel Inouye, the long-serving Democrat from Hawaii who died on Monday, but the president has no other public events on his schedule.

On Saturday, Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he had urged Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie, a Democrat, to name Inouye's successor "with due haste."

"It is critically important to ensure that the people of Hawaii are fully represented in the pivotal decisions the Senate will be making before the end of the year," Reid, of Nevada, said in a statement.

Obama's idyll was not expected to last more than four days, and he will likely retrace the more than 4,800-mile trip from the Aloha State to Washington after Christmas in a bid to cut a deal with Republicans, who failed on Thursday to agree on competing tax and spending bills of their own.

Before leaving Washington on Friday evening, Obama urged Congress to come up with a stopgap measure to spare the U.S. economy the jolt of $600 billion in tax increases and spending cuts economists say would likely derail the economy.

The president asked lawmakers for a stripped-down deal to continue lower tax rates on middle income earners and extend unemployment insurance benefits to avoid some of the worst effects of the "fiscal cliff" in the new year.

Obama's family holiday, in a quiet beach front community on the other side of the island from bustling Honolulu, should also provide some respite from the somber focus on the Newtown, Connecticut, school massacre and the consequent bitter debate over measures to change America's gun culture and prevent violence.

The president's weekly radio and Internet addresses, which in recent weeks have centered on his argument for extending tax cuts for all but the wealthiest Americans, on Saturday offered holiday greetings to U.S. military forces.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-starts-h...-business.html

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
And? Congress is on a short recess too, and he's taking less time off than Congress. Nothing is going to get done regardless. Not to mention he's also attending a funeral.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-23-2012 at 09:08 AM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I remember a time when presidents would tell congress they weren't going anywhere until the budget negotiations were over.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I remember a time when presidents would tell congress they weren't going anywhere until the budget negotiations were over.

When was this? Was Congress on recess? If so, then it's empty words beside the POTUS wouldn't be able to get anything done with Congress out.

----------

to add to Bimmerfan,

IIRC, to date, Bush W. has taken more time off than Obama.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-23-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Come on, give me a break! Boehner wastes three days of legislative primetime ramming a wall pushing a non-starter bill with zero support from his colleagues, and an honest man spending Christmas with his family has to make headlines?????

wtf is wrong with you people??

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post

When was this? Was Congress on recess? If so, then it's empty words beside the POTUS wouldn't be able to get anything done with Congress out.

----------

to add to Bimmerfan,

IIRC, to date, Bush W. has taken more time off than Obama.
I was joking, I really don't care if they take a vacation, but they need to remember that they've left work on the table that affects the people that work for.

And I do remember past times of brinkmanship where the pres would dictate that congress didn't get to leave until a budget was met. I'm on my phone, so I'm not looking it up right now.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I was joking, I really don't care if they take a vacation, but they need to remember that they've left work on the table that affects the people that work for.
totally agree
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
Come on, give me a break! Boehner wastes three days of legislative primetime ramming a wall pushing a non-starter bill with zero support from his colleagues, and an honest man spending Christmas with his family has to make headlines?????

Easy answer - they're republicans. They aren't interested in anything beyond fvcking up Obama. They don't give a **** about America or Americans (unless you're Groveler Norquist or the Koch brothers).

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:

honest my ass

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
NOVAbimmer

He's a politician. Not an honest person.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Easy answer - they're republicans. They aren't interested in anything beyond fvcking up Obama. They don't give a **** about America or Americans (unless you're Groveler Norquist or the Koch brothers).
Your ignorance and closed mindedness astounds me.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Your ignorance and closed mindedness astounds me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS republican
The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.
Get back to me after you get your head out of your ass.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Fergo

Quote:
Get back to me after you get your head out of your ass.
I think you are the one with your head up your ass. Your wildly ignorant posts, all you are is a race obsessed left wing d!ck rider. You have your head so far up your ass you could lick your teeth. How do you feel about paying for obamas $4,000,000 vacation?

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Lair
Modded ///Member

I know it's warm and safe in there, but give it a shot.

Quote:
Here's just a short list of some of the bills that Republicans have blocked, or attempted to block, since Obama became President:

Tax on Companies that ship jobs overseas- A bill that would have eliminated a tax break that companies get when they ship jobs overseas. Republicans blocked this, allowing companies to keep the tax break they receive when they ship jobs to other countries.

Political Ad disclosure bill- Would have required all donors to political campaigns to reveal themselves. Republicans blocked this, not once but twice.

Subpoena Power for the Committee investigating the BP Oil Spill - Give subpoena power to the independent committee responsible for investigating BP's roll in the oil spill. Republicans attempted to block this.

The Small Business Jobs Act -would give LOCAL, community banks access to billions of dollars to loan to small businesses. Republicans blocked this, then attempted to block it a second time and failed.

The DREAM Act- Gives immigrant youth who were brought here as children a path to citizenship by earning a college degree or serving the military for 2 years. Republicans blocked this.

Repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"- Would have repealed the law that forces gay and lesbian services members to lie about their sexuality and gives the military the right to discharge soldiers based on their sexuality. Republicans blocked this many times and Democrats were finally able to pass it with the support of just 2 Republicans.

From Crooks and Liars - When John McCain led the filibuster of the Defense Appropriations Act yesterday, he blocked far more than the DREAM Act and repeal of DADT. Here are just a few of the other blocked provisions, courtesy of Mother Jones.

No permanent military bases in Afghanistan.
Report identifying hybrid or electric propulsion systems and other fuel-saving technologies for incorporation into tactical motor vehicles.
Protection of child custody arrangements for parents who are members of the Armed Forces deployed in support of a contingency operation.
Improvements to Department of Defense domestic violence programs.
Department of Defense recognition of spouses of members of the Armed Forces.
Department of Defense recognition of children of members of the Armed Forces.
Enhancements to the Troops-to-Teachers Program.
Fiscal year 2011 increase in military basic pay.
Improving aural protection for members of the Armed Forces.
Comprehensive policy on neurocognitive assessment by the military health care system.
Authority to make excess nonlethal supplies available for domestic emergency assistance.
And those were just some of the progressive provisions. On the conservative side, there are these, and more:

Prohibition on the use of funds for the transfer or release of individuals detained at United States Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Prohibition on the use of funds to modify or construct facilities in the United States to house detainees transferred from United States Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Prohibition on use of funds to give Miranda warnings to Al Qaeda terrorists.
And here's the bills that Republicans had blocked when we compiled our first list;

Senator Franken's Anti-Rape Amendment to the Defense Appropriations Bill - Makes it so that women raped overseas while working for foreign contractors have the right to have their case heard in an American court instead of having their case mediated by the company they work for. Only Republican men voted against this, but it passed.

Benefits for Homeless Veterans- Would have expanded benefits to homeless veterans and homeless veterans with children. Republicans blocked this.

Affordable Health Care For America Act- Prevents insurance companies from discriminating against you on the basis of "pre-existing conditions". Requires that insurance companies spend 85 cents of every dollar that you pay on your actual health care. Limits health insurance companies profit margins. Republicans blocked this for months before it finally passed and have vowed to repeal it if they are elected.

Health Care for the 9/11 First Responders who got sick from being at Ground Zero- Would provide billions of dollars in health care to help the 9/11 First Responders who were at Ground Zero on 9/11 and are now sick because of it. Republicans blocked this.

The Jobs Bill- Offsets the payroll tax for 1 year for companies that hire new employees, or people receiving unemployment insurance. Also gives other tax incentives to companies hiring new employees. Republicans attempted to block this.

Wall Street Reform- Puts stricter regulations on the banks, preventing them from becoming "too big to fail". Curbs reckless spending practices that caused the banking crisis. Republicans attempted to block this.

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act- Pumped billions of dollars into state and local Governments to prevent us from sinking into a second Great Depression. Republicans opposed this but now want to take credit for the parts of it that we know are successful.

Oil Spill Liability- Raises the liability on what companies can be made to pay to clean up after an oil spill. Republicans blocked this.

Immigration Reform- Republican suggested comprehensive immigration reform until Obama supported it. Now they're rabidly opposed to it and even voted against their own legislation. Republicans blocked this.

Unemployment extension bill HR-4213- Would provide additional aid to the millions of Americans still on unemployment who are just trying to support themselves and their families. Republicans blocked this bill for 8 weeks before it finally passed. Republicans blocked this for 8 weeks before it finally passed.

Fair Pay Act of 2009- Also called the Lily Ledbetter bill. Requires that women receive equal compensation to men for doing the same work. Republicans attempted to block this.

The next time someone tells you that the Republicans care about the American people just give them this list of all the bill Republicans wanted to fail.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Fergo

Quote:
I know it's warm and safe in there, but give it a shot.
Thank you for copy and pasting some bullsh!t article written by someone probably as closed minded, ignorant, racist etc etc as yourself.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
Lair
Modded ///Member

Yeah, those facts are ignorant & closed minded.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Fergo

Quote:

Yeah, those facts are ignorant & closed minded.
Source those facts for me

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Lair
Modded ///Member

www.loc.gov

Knock yourself out, new guy.

Quote:
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 12-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
I stopped reading as soon as it said "BP's roll in the oil spill".

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote