E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 3.74 average.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #741
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Why does this sticky tell people to replace certain parts blindly or based on mileage instead of doing a proper diagnosis? Like belts, bearings, and thermostats for example? It's a pretty wasteful use of money and time prematurely replacing those parts...
Not sure how I missed this comment. How is preventing a catastrophic overheat by spending $500 every 5 years or 60,000 miles a waste of money?

E46=$10,000
Cooling refresh=$500
Reliable transportation=$10,500

Is that a seriously hard concept to comprehend? This isn't your typical V-configuration engine--these engines are particularly vulnerable to permanent damage once overheated. All it takes is one leaking part or a frayed belt to ruin your day.

Are you not aware of all the overheating threads we get on a daily basis?

Ever notice the people that properly maintain their cooling systems never post such cooling failure threads?

If you can't afford the $500 on top of the money you spent to buy your car, you shouldn't be driving one. Period.

Again, people against this can choose what to do with their cars. You can sit there and diagnose all day long, repair one part at a time. I've been there and done that. I know what it takes and this is why this thread exists.

The information provided in this thread is for those that will use it properly. And given the thousands of positive responses, it seems to sit quite well with people.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #742
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
shiii man, they didn't have the URO aluminum water pump pulley in stock so I had to go with the OEM plastic...

I know it's obviously alright but plastic pulleys...
Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #743
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
shiii man, they didn't have the URO aluminum water pump pulley in stock so I had to go with the OEM plastic...

I know it's obviously alright but plastic pulleys...
They're fine as long as they're replaced with the rest of the cooling system. I've seen them crack at 100,000 miles when removing it to get to the water pump.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #744
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Not sure how I missed this comment. How is preventing a catastrophic overheat by spending $500 every 5 years or 60,000 miles a waste of money?

E46=$10,000
Cooling refresh=$500
Reliable transportation=$10,500

Is that a seriously hard concept to comprehend? This isn't your typical V-configuration engine--these engines are particularly vulnerable to permanent damage once overheated. All it takes is one leaking part or a frayed belt to ruin your day.

Are you not aware of all the overheating threads we get on a daily basis?

Ever notice the people that properly maintain their cooling systems never post such cooling failure threads?

If you can't afford the $500 on top of the money you spent to buy your car, you shouldn't be driving one. Period.

Again, people against this can choose what to do with their cars. You can sit there and diagnose all day long, repair one part at a time. I've been there and done that. I know what it takes and this is why this thread exists.

The information provided in this thread is for those that will use it properly. And given the thousands of positive responses, it seems to sit quite well with people.
I know my car isn't worth 10k but still

I went ahead and bought everything to replace the system.

I can easily justify it a few different ways: I haven't had a car payment is over 5 years, so spending money here and there isn't a big deal, and is always fun to work on my car. And... My car just hit 120k and I ask myself how much longer am I expecting this thermostat/exp tank to last? To 200k?

This weekend I'm gonna enjoy some beers and sling some wrenches.

And if you just Google BMW E46 warped head then you'll see
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #745
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
I know my car isn't worth 10k but still

I went ahead and bought everything to replace the system.

I can easily justify it a few different ways: I haven't had a car payment is over 5 years, so spending money here and there isn't a big deal, and is always fun to work on my car. And... My car just hit 120k and I ask myself how much longer am I expecting this thermostat/exp tank to last? To 200k?

This weekend I'm gonna enjoy some beers and sling some wrenches.

And if you just Google BMW E46 warped head then you'll see
Yup. Not having car payments is definitely nice. The only new car I ever liked was my 2006 E46. Since they don't make the E46 any longer, the best way to get a new E46 is to make your own.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #746
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
On the radiator removal...in a manual at least...

I removed the Radiator with ET on it and dealt with the disassembly out of the car.

If you remove the ET first though, I think there are literally only 3 screws holding the radiator in. It lifts out very easily. There are clips you'll see it sits in at the bottom...and then just a few screws...Two at the top corners and then one lower on the left side iirc.

The big thing on the radiator is to make sure you get the right one (auto or manny). The OE originally came with a leveling screw so one radiator can be converted to either auto or manny, but the Behr we get AM doesn't have that...or didn't when I got it anyway.
Sorry to hijack the post but I'm changing out my radiator today
and the Nissens fitting instructions say to use silicone or a non acid grease
on the o-rings. What would that be?
Is Lithium acid free? Didn't know grease had acid in it.

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #747
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Always a difficult topic to get definitive facts on. I'd not use the Lithium unless the container says compatible with rubber.
I use an O-ring silicone lube that is designed for underwater camera enclosures that I bought at a photography store.
But I'd think you could buy a can of all purpose silicon lube and that would work fine.
Many say use straight coolant, but then some have had leaks after doing this. In my opinion, coolant is not designed to be lube and I choose to not have faith in it. My hoses slide on with ease with the O-ring lube and never had a leak.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

O-Ring Care and Maintenance
Courtesy of Gates Underwater Products

If you're like many owners of underwater video or camera equipment, you may wonder: just how does one provide proper care to the o-ring seals that keep water safely away from my expensive electronics? This is an excellent question. The answer seems to pervade the world of SCUBA, passing from mouth to mouth, but there seems lacking a consolidation that brings all that useful advice together. Well, this brief guide will help de-mystify o-rings, their proper care, and provide a good useful summary information.

What is an O-Ring?
An o-ring is really nothing more than a thick rubber band! They are almost always round, or "O"-shaped, but can be rectangular, oval, trapezoidal, or any shape required to establish a watertight seal.
In cross section, they are almost always perfectly circular, although some "+" shaped o-rings are being used today as well. O-Rings are always made of an elastomeric material, which is a fancy way of saying they can stretch and deform. They can be made of natural rubber, latex, silicone, viton, or many other stretchy materials. This is an important feature of o-rings as it provides the means by which a watertight seal is formed.

How do O-Rings work?
O-Rings are installed where two mating surfaces come together and a watertight seal is required. Looking at two such mating surfaces (like a housing) in a cross-sectional view, with water on the outside and your electronics on the inside.
When the housing is submerged, pressure is exerted on all sides of the o-ring exposed to the water. The o-ring is then "squeezed" toward it's only side not exposed to the water, which is into the o-ring groove created where the surfaces mate. The water itself is pushing the o-ring tight against the mating surfaces, locking itself out so it cannot enter the other side. The greater the pressure, the better the seal. This is how an o-ring seals! Rather simple and ingenious, and quite effective.

How Do I Care for O-Rings?
As you may have reasoned, o-rings must be free of dirt and debris to work. Any foreign material that compromises the o-ring being squeezed into the o-ring groove will allow water to enter. This is bad. Fortunately, it's very easy to maintain the integrity of this seal by simply inspecting, cleaning and lubricating the o-rings when required.

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-22-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #748
rakim

My Ride: e46 318
thanks nice infor
rakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #749
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Always a difficult topic to get definitive facts on. I'd not use the Lithium unless the container says compatible with rubber.
I use an O-ring silicone lube that is designed for underwater camera enclosures that I bought at a photography store.
But I'd think you could buy a can of all purpose silicon lube and that would work fine.
Many say use straight coolant, but then some have had leaks after doing this. In my opinion, coolant is not designed to be lube and I choose to not have faith in it. My hoses slide on with ease with the O-ring lube and never had a leak.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

O-Ring Care and Maintenance
Courtesy of Gates Underwater Products

If you're like many owners of underwater video or camera equipment, you may wonder: just how does one provide proper care to the o-ring seals that keep water safely away from my expensive electronics? This is an excellent question. The answer seems to pervade the world of SCUBA, passing from mouth to mouth, but there seems lacking a consolidation that brings all that useful advice together. Well, this brief guide will help de-mystify o-rings, their proper care, and provide a good useful summary information.

What is an O-Ring?
An o-ring is really nothing more than a thick rubber band! They are almost always round, or "O"-shaped, but can be rectangular, oval, trapezoidal, or any shape required to establish a watertight seal.
In cross section, they are almost always perfectly circular, although some "+" shaped o-rings are being used today as well. O-Rings are always made of an elastomeric material, which is a fancy way of saying they can stretch and deform. They can be made of natural rubber, latex, silicone, viton, or many other stretchy materials. This is an important feature of o-rings as it provides the means by which a watertight seal is formed.

How do O-Rings work?
O-Rings are installed where two mating surfaces come together and a watertight seal is required. Looking at two such mating surfaces (like a housing) in a cross-sectional view, with water on the outside and your electronics on the inside.
When the housing is submerged, pressure is exerted on all sides of the o-ring exposed to the water. The o-ring is then "squeezed" toward it's only side not exposed to the water, which is into the o-ring groove created where the surfaces mate. The water itself is pushing the o-ring tight against the mating surfaces, locking itself out so it cannot enter the other side. The greater the pressure, the better the seal. This is how an o-ring seals! Rather simple and ingenious, and quite effective.

How Do I Care for O-Rings?
As you may have reasoned, o-rings must be free of dirt and debris to work. Any foreign material that compromises the o-ring being squeezed into the o-ring groove will allow water to enter. This is bad. Fortunately, it's very easy to maintain the integrity of this seal by simply inspecting, cleaning and lubricating the o-rings when required.
OK another question. Is white lithium the same thing? Mine says lube for metal parts....gears....seats tracks etc.
I have some silicone but I think its not grease. Its the silicon that gets rubbery when hardened.
New o-rings came with my new radiator and I will replace the ones inside the hose with them.
Hoping they seal properly. The lower hose was so tight I had to pretty much beat it off the outlet after getting the radiator out.

AutohausAZ.com/

Last edited by CrazyOneToo; 12-22-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #750
Stinger9

Def not talking Silicone Caulk!

Don't know about white Lithium Grease. Read the label.

Hoses on an e46 stick hard when trying to remove them. But should go on real smooth to the 'clicks' when properly lubed.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #751
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Def not talking Silicone Caulk!

Don't know about white Lithium Grease. Read the label.

Hoses on an e46 stick hard when trying to remove them. But should go on real smooth to the 'clicks' when properly lubed.
OK Thanks. I found some silicon spray lube in my garage. It made the hoses go back on pretty easy.
One was leaking last night onto the fan and making a antifreeze mist but I hope it will seal itself after getting the engine fully warmed up.

AutohausAZ.com/

Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #752
Stinger9

Was the leaking O-ring one that was re-used?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #753
CrazyOneToo

Quote:
Was the leaking O-ring one that was re-used?
Yes .....I should have bought some to change them all out.
Luckily today they all seem sealed up and working fine.
I just need to bleed it properly and I should be good to go.

AutohausAZ.com/

Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #754
ferhatkochan

My Ride: BMW 325i
Exclamation Coolant!

So on my dashboard my coolant sign sometimes comes on and off its weird so I checked my coolant level this morning when the car was OFF and there's no liquid in there whatsoever ... Which is really bad?

Am I supposed to check it when the car is on?
I may have a leak?

What should I do
ferhatkochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #755
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
BTW that is known here as the "mango" light
Ždmax

Check for leaks.
replace cooling system.
Bleed properly.

For now, I would pick up some distilled water...bleed the system, and monitor vigilantly.

Here is an alternative bleed method.
DO NOT USE TAP Water.

http://db.tt/mHwuTp3K

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 12-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #756
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
For now just top it off with some distilled water. If the coolant light comes back on the. There is definitely a leak. Keep an eye on your eng temp.

My 323 had the same problem. Didn't know what the problem was cuz it never came back once I top off the coolant.

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #757
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferhatkochan View Post
So on my dashboard my coolant sign sometimes comes on and off its weird so I checked my coolant level this morning when the car was OFF and there's no liquid in there whatsoever ... Which is really bad?

Am I supposed to check it when the car is on?
I may have a leak?

What should I do
Top it off with some coolant, or as stated below, a small amount of distilled water. Check your hoses, expansion tank, and radiator for any signs of leaks.

Always check the coolant when the car is cold. There is significant pressure on the expansion tank when it's hot, I would not advise to open the cap until the car is cold.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #758
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Just don't overfill the exp. tank! (over filling will cause an old expansion tank to fail most unpleasantly. Just a heads up)
Only fill to the specified level (between max. & min.)
Keep monitoring it and watch that temperature closely.

If (most likely it will again) the low coolant light comes back on, you just confirmed you have a leak. So, prepare for a complete cooling system refresh.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #759
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
BTW that is known here as the "mango" light
Ždmax

Check for leaks.
replace cooling system.
Bleed properly.

For now, I would pick up some distilled water...bleed the system, and monitor vigilantly.

Here is an alternative bleed method.
DO NOT USE TAP Water.

http://db.tt/mHwuTp3K

DMAX tried:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=mango+light

and +1 on not using tap water. distilled is $1.

you can likely find that under the seat...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #760
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
I personally use Fiji water.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump