E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster33 View Post
Lol to the people who use the glove box.... Very unconvient and old school put it in the center console or dash
WTF are you talking about?

I have absolutely no desire to cut or even dissemble my center console area. I installed mine exactly where the BMW instructions state to do so. I then ran an aux cord from the glovebox and wound it around my shifter. I did this for years and I have never had a single issue. I specifically installed mine in the glovebox because I knew I was going to get the DICE Bluetooth Mediabridge. I almost never use my aux port anymore and it's out of site and out of mind, but still there if I need it.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocojo68 View Post
I put mine on the console beside the dsc button on the right side.

glovebox sucks tock

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 12-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
e46hellrot

My Ride: e46
Sorry for the crappy pics, but here's mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356381570.244331.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	483283   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356381599.432350.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	483284  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
WTF are you talking about?

I have absolutely no desire to cut or even dissemble my center console area. I installed mine exactly where the BMW instructions state to do so. I then ran an aux cord from the glovebox and wound it around my shifter. I did this for years and I have never had a single issue. I specifically installed mine in the glovebox because I knew I was going to get the DICE Bluetooth Mediabridge. I almost never use my aux port anymore and it's out of site and out of mind, but still there if I need it.
+1

Glovebox is the best place if you dont want the wires hanging around.

I have mine aux-in in the glovebox, along with USB charging port. With a iphone dock cable that separates to a USB and 3.5mm male jack, I have only one cable coming out of the glovebox when in use. Else the cable sits inside the glovebox.
Also I can put my ipod on shuffle and throw it inside the glovebox while it charges and plays at the same time.

I can use aux and USB charger separately for two different devices or together with similar cable for any other phone or device.

I placed aux-in port inside the sunglass holder first. But the location was such a PITA to connect and disconnect the cable. Plus I use the sunglass holder for my glasses, there is no place for the cable.

I use my iPhone as my GPS too, so I use vent mount for the same purpose. I dont want cables coming across from my arm rest to the center vent or from the sunglass holder to the center vent. With the glovebox setup, the wire comes from the glovebox to the device and will stay in the glovebox when not in use. Even when in use, the wire is not obstructing any buttons on the center console, unlike running it from the sunglass holder to vent mount where it just comes infront of the radio and HVAC controls.

PS: Now I have to find a similar cable for iPhone 5, I dont want to run two cables for aux and USB charging from the glovebox. The lightning adapter is a bit too expensive for the purpose.

Last edited by trj; 12-24-2012 at 02:50 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
z0mghii

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
I have mine in the glovebox with a bluetooth receiver unit wired to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140883832164...84.m1497.l2649

Phone just connects to the unit, no wires, yay!
z0mghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mghii View Post

+1
even better.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #28
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post

glovebox sucks tock
Whatever, most of what you post is garbage and not worth reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
+1

Glovebox is the best place if you dont want the wires hanging around.

I have mine aux-in in the glovebox, along with USB charging port. With a iphone dock cable that separates to a USB and 3.5mm male jack, I have only one cable coming out of the glovebox when in use. Else the cable sits inside the glovebox.
Also I can put my ipod on shuffle and throw it inside the glovebox while it charges and plays at the same time.

I can use aux and USB charger separately for two different devices or together with similar cable for any other phone or device.

I placed aux-in port inside the sunglass holder first. But the location was such a PITA to connect and disconnect the cable. Plus I use the sunglass holder for my glasses, there is no place for the cable.

I use my iPhone as my GPS too, so I use vent mount for the same purpose. I dont want cables coming across from my arm rest to the center vent or from the sunglass holder to the center vent. With the glovebox setup, the wire comes from the glovebox to the device and will stay in the glovebox when not in use. Even when in use, the wire is not obstructing any buttons on the center console, unlike running it from the sunglass holder to vent mount where it just comes infront of the radio and HVAC controls.

PS: Now I have to find a similar cable for iPhone 5, I dont want to run two cables for aux and USB charging from the glovebox. The lightning adapter is a bit too expensive for the purpose.
Ah, another logical person. I must confess, I do not like unnecessary wires in the cabin of my car. My Valentine 1 is hardwired with minimal cord showing and the cables I have for my iPhone 5 and iPad are stowed neatly in the glovebox unless being used, right next to my aux cable. My disdain for wires in the cockpit is so great that I opted for the slightly decreased sound quality of bluetooth audio streaming. I absolutely love getting in my car and not having to take my phone out of my pocket at all. I have full control from the steering wheel and it connects instantly.

I purchased a knockoff lightning connector from amazon for my iPhone as a spare to keep in my car. I'm not too happy with it. It only charges the phone when plugged in one way and to get it to work with my flush USB adapter I need to plug it in and unplug it several times. The other day it arched when I unplugged it from my phone

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #29
trj

Quote:

Ah, another logical person. I must confess, I do not like unnecessary wires in the cabin of my car. My Valentine 1 is hardwired with minimal cord showing and the cables I have for my iPhone 5 and iPad are stowed neatly in the glovebox unless being used, right next to my aux cable. My disdain for wires in the cockpit is so great that I opted for the slightly decreased sound quality of bluetooth audio streaming. I absolutely love getting in my car and not having to take my phone out of my pocket at all. I have full control from the steering wheel and it connects instantly.

I purchased a knockoff lightning connector from amazon for my iPhone as a spare to keep in my car. I'm not too happy with it. It only charges the phone when plugged in one way and to get it to work with my flush USB adapter I need to plug it in and unplug it several times. The other day it arched when I unplugged it from my phone
+1. I hate mesh of wires.

Yah, knock off adapters do not transmit audio through the 30 pin as well. And the apple adapter is ridiculously priced at $30. I might have to buy that anyway.
I need to mount the phone for GPS purpose, so I have to have the cable to charge the phone. Bluetooth is out of question, as it will only drain the battery quicker.

I have another wire for GPS or mini USB tucked behind the panels with the connection coming right out above the vent on the driver's side. The wire travels beneath the driver's kick panels, behind the radio console to the fuse box. This will be useful if I need to run a standalone GPS unit.

If I ever get a radar detector, its going to be hardwired at the rearview mirror.

I love wires and playing with them, but I hate it when they come in between wherever I am reaching.
Also, I want my cigarette lighter free as I smoke.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
+1. I hate mesh of wires.

Yah, knock off adapters do not transmit audio through the 30 pin as well. And the apple adapter is ridiculously priced at $30. I might have to buy that anyway.
I need to mount the phone for GPS purpose, so I have to have the cable to charge the phone. Bluetooth is out of question, as it will only drain the battery quicker.

I have another wire for GPS or mini USB tucked behind the panels with the connection coming right out above the vent on the driver's side. The wire travels beneath the driver's kick panels, behind the radio console to the fuse box. This will be useful if I need to run a standalone GPS unit.

If I ever get a radar detector, its going to be hardwired at the rearview mirror.

I love wires and playing with them, but I hate it when they come in between wherever I am reaching.
Also, I want my cigarette lighter free as I smoke.
Both my 30 pin connector and my lightning connector are knock offs and they both transmit audio and charge the phone/iPad.

I have my radar detector mounted in that exact spot, right by the mirror. The cord is out of site behind the mirror.

I have a 2 USB adapter that sits flush in my cigarette lighter so I can still close the ashtray lid, I love it. I moved onto vaping and I can charge my batteries in there perfectly. I keep my cigarette lighter handy though, just in case

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #31
trj

Quote:
Both my 30 pin connector and my lightning connector are knock offs and they both transmit audio and charge the phone/iPad.

I have my radar detector mounted in that exact spot, right by the mirror. The cord is out of site behind the mirror.

I have a 2 USB adapter that sits flush in my cigarette lighter so I can still close the ashtray lid, I love it. I moved onto vaping and I can charge my batteries in there perfectly. I keep my cigarette lighter handy though, just in case
Sorry to derail the thread OP, but tock can you share the link for lightning to 30 pin. I have 2 lightning cables for mine and fiancÚ's phone. I can use one in the car.

Cheers for a cable free car.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #32
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:

you wouldn't know unless you read it, one man's garbage is another man's treasure

merry xmas tocksucker

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
TRJ I don't mind some of the side bars. I'm loving the comments I'm starting to rethink where I'm going to put the aux jack. I can't believe it but I'm starting to think the glove box. I was leaning towards next to the buttons in the center panel. but? To complicate things I got a Starmate 8 xm sirius radio. I don't want to use a dice system as i want to be able to use the radio in a home dock at home and work. I hate the sirius radio car integration kit. Antenna, power and audio cable to a awkward dock, got to be a better way.

Last edited by 325xittt; 12-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.
325xittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #34
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xittt View Post
TRJ I don't mind some of the side bars. I'm loving the comments I'm starting to rethink where I'm going to put the aux jack. I can't believe it but I'm starting to think the glove box. I was leaning towards next to the buttons in the center panel. but? To complicate things I got a Starmate 8 xm sirius radio. I don't want to use a dice system as i want to be able to use the radio in a home dock at home and work. I hate the sirius radio car integration kit. Antenna, power and audio cable to a awkward dock, got to be a better way.
I have seen a fellow fanatic's car where he placed it on the cigarette holder in the astray console. It was neat and concealed if you just want to use it as MP3 player input. But when you need to charge the phone or mount it hight to be able to actually look at the scree (GPS) then it becomes a huge mess of wires over the console.

My solution is what works best for me. May not be suitable for others. Everyone has opinions. Not going to complain.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #35
diM3tri

My Ride: 330ci + stg2 Scoobie
I have an FM transmitter/charger coming from my ciggarette lighter. It's all wired from the back under the dash. There is a stereo connector coming right up through the first cupholder so I just plug my phone in and it sits in the cup holder. The charger is wired trough there as well. It works perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356826038.259670.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	483909  

Current Cars:
'99 Big Turbo B5 A4 (the red one) ^^^
'13 GLI
'91 Ford F150 v8 5spd

Previous Cars:
'05 stg 2 scoobie wagon
'82 VW rabbit vert
'01 330ci
'84 633csi
diM3tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
Timmy77

My Ride: 03' 325xi
Just installed an aux this past weekend in my new to me and first BMW. I like that it's lit at night.

Untitled by tvquist, on Flickr

Untitled by tvquist, on Flickr_nr_
Timmy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #37
Timmy77

My Ride: 03' 325xi
Just installed last weekend.

Timmy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
yonny325xi

My Ride: 325 XI
I really want to do this to my 325, where is the best place to buy this? and how hard is the install?
yonny325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.
Send a message via AIM to Nickvjr Send a message via Yahoo to Nickvjr Send a message via Skype™ to Nickvjr
Look at earlier posts for more pictures. Took me 15 to install mine with no wire showing.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #40
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mghii View Post

that sounds pretty interesting, can you control it with the steering wheel buttons?
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote