E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #281
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I was wondering when that point would be brought up.

Technically, as long as the hardware can handle it, there's no difference. But of course in the real world, you double the work that the coil packs are doing...and there are different results from that.
I'm not sure I'm picking up what you guys are talking about here...care to discuss further? What I'm getting from this is on a turbocharged application you are doubling the amount of work required from the coils? Or is this in regards to different EMS running the coils?

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 12-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #282
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I'm not sure I'm picking up what you guys are talking about here...care to discuss further? What I'm getting from this is on a turbocharged application you are doubling the amount of work required from the coils? Or is this in regards to different EMS running the coils?
I'm going to word this to focus on the facts, not a specific product:

If an EMS doesn't have enough ignition outputs, or the software/processor configuration doesn't have the ability to run X ignition outputs sequentially, you can run a "wasted spark" configuration.

This is provided that the engine has an even-fire bank configuration, where for example cylinder #1 on bank A is at TDC at the same time as cylinder #3 on bank B.

Wasted spark on a 6 cylinder engine would use 3 ignition outputs that fire every 360 degrees of crank rotation. In a sequential configuration, 6 individual outputs would fire once every 720 degrees.

Or in other words, every time a piston is at TDC, the ignition fires with wasted spark. Half the time it's igniting a burn cycle, half the time it's firing during the exhaust cycle.

Sequential ignition outputs would fire only during the burn cycle.

So with "wasted spark", you gain the ability to fire more cylinders, but the ignition system effectively doubles the work load on the existing hardware. It has nothing to do with the fact than an engine is turbo charged or not.

The other miss-conception about FI engines is that running more boost puts more load on the ignition system. This is not true. The ignition system doesn't care about cylinder pressure, or whether the signal output to the spark plug does it's job. It just keeps doing it's thing blindly. If the system doesn't have enough strength to light off a high pressure cylinder charge, it's actually easier...because the energy doesn't get expended. (Missed ignition) That's not to say that more cylinder pressure doesn't need a stronger ignition system, because this is usually the case. It's just that as far as load goes, or how much work the ignition does, system life is a function of RPM or simply how many times the system fires, not so much what it's firing into.

Man...I really should write up an article on smart coils, dumb coils, ignitors, and CD systems.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 12-24-2012 at 09:05 PM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #283
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Man...I really should write up an article on smart coils, dumb coils, ignitors, and CD systems.

Thanks for the info! I'm sure you know offhand which EMS use which system...so what does each offer?

Secondly I'm sure alot of us wouldn't mind a read up on the above when you get some time after the holidays Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #284
Commanderwiggin

AEM V1: 3 Coil Outputs (Wasted Spark)
AEM V2: 6 Coil Outputs

Interesting...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #285
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:

Thanks for the info! I'm sure you know offhand which EMS use which system...so what does each offer?

Secondly I'm sure alot of us wouldn't mind a read up on the above when you get some time after the holidays Merry Christmas
Time?

I'd love some of that....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #286
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Time?

I'd love some of that....
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #287
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
AEM V1: 3 Coil Outputs (Wasted Spark)
AEM V2: 6 Coil Outputs

Interesting...
Does the wiring harness takes advantage of this on the V2 kits?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #288
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Does the wiring harness takes advantage of this on the V2 kits?
There is no V2 Kits for our cars.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 AM   #289
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Such a sad, depressing and frustrating situation.

I wish you basar the very best of luck in this whole situation. i will communicate with you through pm
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953

Last edited by lrinco01; 12-31-2012 at 04:50 AM.
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #290
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
We have wired Haltech and it was fine, there isnt any abs etc problems like pro-efi. It was going all good then oil scavange pump failed :@

I need a new pump I wonder how it failed so early?

I will keep you posted.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #291
basar13

We have checked the wiring and the Pro-efi also uses wasted spark system..

Last edited by basar13; 01-09-2013 at 02:23 AM.
basar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #292
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by basar13 View Post
It was going all good then oil scavange pump failed :@

It's because you aren't running the HPF AEM! Oh and now you no longer have a warranty on any of your parts, so that failed scavenge pump isn't covered

All joking aside (or not ), I would add an oil drain sump for the turbo along with a new pump.

Last edited by dan avoN7; 01-09-2013 at 09:37 AM.
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #293
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
It's because you aren't running the HPF AEM! Oh and now you no longer have a warranty on any of your parts, so that failed scavenge pump isn't covered

All joking aside (or not ), I would add an oil drain sump for the turbo along with a new pump.
lololol this post has so much win to it OP I truly admire your patience throughout this whole ordeal, you my friend ARE the bigger man of all companies involved. Glad to see you're finally getting somewhere and will be out your car very very soon.
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #294
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
We have wired Haltech and it was fine, there isnt any abs etc problems like pro-efi. It was going all good then oil scavange pump failed :@

I will keep you posted.
Those pumps have extremely tight tolerances which makes them very quiet and very efficient. Any tiny amount of debris in the oil line that goes to the pump will cause it to fail. This can happen when a turbo takes a dump and spits out it's guts, but we've also seen it happen when installers use silicon on the AN fittings or when debris gets into the lines prior to installation. We've also had issues in the past where the oil scavenge pumps have bolts that loosen up as well. Sometimes they can be tightened up and it works again, but often they are junk when they fail.

Others may chime in here, but I think they typically have a life expectancy of about 30,000 miles.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #295
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:

I will keep you posted.
What were the signs / symptoms of the pump failing ? Do u have a sensor or did u just not hear it running ?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #296
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
Those pumps have extremely tight tolerances which makes them very quiet and very efficient. Any tiny amount of debris in the oil line that goes to the pump will cause it to fail. This can happen when a turbo takes a dump and spits out it's guts, but we've also seen it happen when installers use silicon on the AN fittings or when debris gets into the lines prior to installation. We've also had issues in the past where the oil scavenge pumps have bolts that loosen up as well. Sometimes they can be tightened up and it works again, but often they are junk when they fail.

Others may chime in here, but I think they typically have a life expectancy of about 30,000 miles.

Chris.
It would be a nice for us the have an estimated MBTF for some of the key parts in the HPF kit so we can add them to a Maintenance schedule for r HPF cars.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #297
basar13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post

It is on warranty but i have to send it to USA to be checked before they send me a new one.

I still didnt remove it from the car.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #298
basar13

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
What were the signs / symptoms of the pump failing ? Do u have a sensor or did u just not hear it running ?
It is not working i cannot hear it and the ALOT of white smoke from exhaust.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 AM   #299
basar13

I am going to garage now to remove it. Lets solve this issue.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #300
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post

Chris.
I dont onow how but i got 65k out of mine. It start stopping working on the motor side when it got hot. And the lil tabs with springs that push against the main rod were to worn out to be pushed more

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App