E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #281
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
I sorta got confused there, id have to look at the wires when i get home to get an idea of what it is, im a very visual person.. So splice the two black wires and ground it the the EE ground?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #282
n2Bimmer

Here is that picture of the ground i did.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #283
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
not sure what you did from the picture but this post will give you more of a rough idea what I am talking about.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=12

I believe the ground wires(there are 2) on eagle eye harness are black and the ground wire on the car side is brown.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #284
n2Bimmer

O that makes sense, so on the EE ground do i do this to both/2 of the EE ground wires or just one, well thanks for helping me out man
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #285
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
O that makes sense, so on the EE ground do i do this to both/2 of the EE ground wires or just one, well thanks for helping me out man
Yup, you got it right. Both ground wires in the EE side(black wires) to single ground in the car harness side(brown wire).
Old 05-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #286
n2Bimmer

Hey gang, i havent gotten a chance to do this yet and honestly i dont have much hope. Im tempted to just put the OEM UGLY orange lights back on
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #287
trj

Quote:
Hey gang, i havent gotten a chance to do this yet and honestly i dont have much hope. Im tempted to just put the OEM UGLY orange lights back on
I know it gets frustrating.
But did you try swapping the little boxes to find out the culprit? If its the boxes, get them from Bryan@jlevi.

Till then just put the ambers back ON. Don't risk yours and other driver's safety and of course another ticket.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #288
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I know it gets frustrating.
But did you try swapping the little boxes to find out the culprit? If its the boxes, get them from Bryan@jlevi.

Till then just put the ambers back ON. Don't risk yours and other driver's safety and of course another ticket.

Hey man, no i have not had time, i think ill do that tonight after work, is there a DIY around here? or is it just snip the wires and swap the box? Thanks again..
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #289
trj

Quote:
Hey man, no i have not had time, i think ill do that tonight after work, is there a DIY around here? or is it just snip the wires and swap the box? Thanks again..
No need to snip any wires.

There are 3 boxes(I believe) behind each tail light. Just unplug them from one side and plug them to the other side. Those clips can be really tight sometimes though, mine were. Those boxes are(should be) just stuck to the car with double sided tapes.

I am almost certain that your issue is with the smaller black box with 2 condensers sticking out(this is the closest box to the tail light), but swap each and you will find out the problem box which makes the working light not work.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #290
n2Bimmer

I really hope that is the issue. Thank you for chewing everything and putting it im my mouth. Lol
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #291
n2Bimmer

SO Excited, the issue was the little black box. I must order ASAP
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #292
NJfistpumpin

My Ride: 2003 OG M3
I'm gonna bump this, I just got EE tails for my 03 325i and both do not work and are throwing taillight out codes. I don't have the brown ground connected to anything, I made sure the connections are correct. Clearly they are getting power because the interior trunk lights are working and so are the trunk tails. Problem is I don't have my blinkers now BC they don't work. Any advice?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #293
waterdale

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Conv
Question Check Control Ligjht = more grounding issue?

New here, and due to stupidity I posted this under a different thread earlier today. I am having problems that are probably ground related also, but seeking advice.
I recently bought pristine 01 330Ci convert (53K) and all seemed fine until today. Took a short drive this am and upon startp, found the Check Control light illuminated - BOTH rear brake/tail light icons were red, along with rear half of the car (not including trunk lid indicator). However, all lights seemed to be working fine, and trunk lid was closed, so we left on our errand. 15 minutes later I left wife in car listening to radio while I did a 5 min stop for dogfood. When I came out to restart and leave, the battery was DOA. Took a jump-start from fellow store patron, and viola, the control check light was now extinquished. Battery is only a couple years old and until now has shown no sign of weakness.

Does the fact that my indicator showed both tail/stops to be "out" signify anything different from what was described in earlier posts?
waterdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 AM   #294
dozug

My Ride: 1990 300zx twinturbo
Hello, I have same issue with led tail light. My led lights will go on and off. when lit up, everything is work as it should.

Its my driver side thats giving me a problem. I grounded my brown and white/brown wire, but still no work. and now, my driver side signal light (tail) doesnt work.

Is there any step by step tutorial for this one? Please let me know, I was pulled over by the cop today and need to fix it soon.
dozug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #295
joeycannoli

My Ride: 911
Need to check my passenger tail light out after work. For a while the indicator light would come on and off, but all bulbs were fine. Recently the quick blinker flash occurred on the dash which indicated a bulb was completely out. Indeed when i went to the back of the car the bulb was out, however, upon moving the harness the light came back on.

Seems to be a loose connection. Anyone have an issue like this before?

Joey Cuccaro
joeycannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #296
jose3081

My Ride: 99 323i
My tailights are acting up. They flicker everytime I press brake. If I shut the car off and press brake they work fine. Ground issues as well?? Lcm?
jose3081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #297
wetzie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
I have the lights out indicator for the tail lights. My 2000 323 CI is in good shape and I checked the pins and they are clean and clear. I did the wire jumper for the left light and the indicators are still on. Any ideas?
Thank you
Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #298
figjam911

My Ride: 1999-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by refimail View Post
Those license plate bulbs also use the same warning light as the tail lights.
You are a gem...my license plate bulbs are out, didn't even think of that or see it. I'll check the bulbs tomorrow and hope that fixes it because it's too cold and wet outside to do it now!! Thanks for the hint!

Colin Boucher

Last edited by figjam911; 10-21-2012 at 05:12 AM.
figjam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #299
figjam911

My Ride: 1999-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 View Post
That's right.

And to the guy who suggested using a wire tap because electrical tape is too ghetto: Honestly man, it's completely hidden. How anal-retentive can you be?

A wire tap is the way to go...simple, quick, straight forward and easy !! No point in rubbishing him because he came up with a standard solution all auto electricians use...

Colin Boucher
figjam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #300
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
Smile

This was very quick and really worked. For some reason I didnt have that prong sticking out to add the secondary ground, however I just firmly tucked it underneath and it worked fine.

It also stopped my HID's from flickering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (8).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	483416   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	483417  
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote