E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #1861
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
I don't know about the system you have in your car now, take some pics and people here will help you, android is DEFINITELY not slow, I don't think anybody with a samsung S3 is complaining

I don't know what kind of dongle you are referring to, they will send a wifi dongle and a 3g dongle if you want to buy them, it comes with maps for an extra $10 and for this price it includes the sd card so you'll be able to update the maps....
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #1862
bjornh

My Ride: 320iAT
Will be eagerly following this thread as the first reviews of the new 4.0 unit pop in. Picked up my first ever e46 this evening and a 7" android device is definitely the first upgrade this car will get. I just hope the unit delivers acceptable audio quality through RCAs as I'm planning on using the device (And the android Spotify app) as a source for a high fidelity DSP based audio system.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andro...443685739.html
This one seems interesting. Seller includes WiFi and 3G dongle!_nr_
bjornh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #1863
jchuillier

The unit is at 450, plus cable, plus shipping, plus dvb plus wifi plus paypal it comes out at 625
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #1864
jchuillier

I have exactly the same without the 3g dongle that I don't need (we have good data plans in France )
Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #1865
bl1tzk1213g

My Ride: None
Guys let me know how the new android works!
bl1tzk1213g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #1866
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl1tzk1213g View Post
Guys let me know how the new android works!
I just received the unit today, but I am still waiting on the reverse camera, as I ordered it from a different seller.

As far as the volume level issues that people had with the older version, it's operator error, due to a lack of understanding regarding how the android side functions. You need to adjust the volume level of the android side to match your radio / dvd volume. Essentially, the "audio out" of the android side goes into the "audio in" side of the radio / dvd side. It's like hooking up an iPod to your home theater tuner. If you turn the volume way down on the iPod, crank up the master volume on the tuner to compensate, then you switch to the "Radio" input, lo and behold, the radio is really, really loud. Obviously, you wouldn't blame the iPod in this situation.

In one of my other cars, I have replaced the entire factory head unit with a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab, so I've grown used to using Android for my car infotainment needs. I think that may skew my satisfaction factor a bit, so if I come back and say that I'm perfectly happy, and that it met my expectations, it's not the same thing as saying it functions exactly like one might expect, without knowing any of the internal workings.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #1867
bjornh

My Ride: 320iAT
PainBreak,

(This might sound stupid, but; )

How fast does the android side load when you turn the unit on? And if the unit was in navi/android mode when you turned it off, will it automatically be there when you turn it back on - as if you switched a tablet off/on? Also, when you turn the car off, is the android side completely turned off (requiring it to boot every time) or does it just go to standby and pause your activities?

/Bjorn
bjornh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #1868
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornh View Post
PainBreak,

(This might sound stupid, but; )

How fast does the android side load when you turn the unit on? And if the unit was in navi/android mode when you turned it off, will it automatically be there when you turn it back on - as if you switched a tablet off/on? Also, when you turn the car off, is the android side completely turned off (requiring it to boot every time) or does it just go to standby and pause your activities?

/Bjorn
I can only speculate on those at this juncture (I won't be installing mine until my rear view camera / hvac controls relocation kit come in.) but from what I have been able to surmise from watching videos / reading reviews / etc, I'd bet it boots into the "Radio" mode, and that the Android side turns completely off when it shuts down, requiring it to boot back up after you start the car. I don't know, though. Standby would be a much better option, so I'm holding out a little hope, but I would be a bit surprised if that were the case. Since it's Android, though, if it's rootable we might be able to use Tasker to ignore whatever it's doing to shut it off / have it do something else.

Sorry that I'm not of more help right now.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #1869
Greek BMW boy

My Ride: 325ci
After reading 80% of this thread I convinced myself to buy the B146 unit from Shenzen. The unit arrived yesterday, Christmas eve so it's my Christmas gift to myself. Can't wait to install it in the next few days.

I must say, dealing with Shenzen and in particular Jolly was an absolute pleasure. I found her very approachable and answered my emails in very quick time ( some of the customer service people here in Australia should take a note out of her book). Can not say one bad thing about my experience.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and sowing the seed for my desire to get one of these units.
Greek BMW boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #1870
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek BMW boy View Post
After reading 80% of this thread I convinced myself to buy the B146 unit from Shenzen. The unit arrived yesterday, Christmas eve so it's my Christmas gift to myself. Can't wait to install it in the next few days.

I must say, dealing with Shenzen and in particular Jolly was an absolute pleasure. I found her very approachable and answered my emails in very quick time ( some of the customer service people here in Australia should take a note out of her book). Can not say one bad thing about my experience.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and sowing the seed for my desire to get one of these units.
Post some pictures of the install, debating between this and the dynavin
JS330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #1871
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
Post some pictures of the install, debating between this and the dynavin
Are you planning on doing the install yourself?

In my opinion, calling the Enco B046 a "Dynavin Clone", as the title represents, is a bit disingenuous. All signs point to it being, quite literally, the OEM part the Dynavin is based on. Paying a premium for a Dynavin-branded radio may get you better, native English-speaking customer service, and potentially better warranty support, but I believe the actual hardware will be the same.

If you're comfortable performing the installation yourself, I see no compelling reason to go with the Dynavin "brand" over the OEM part.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #1872
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Thanks for supporting the site sponsors. Look closely at the pics of the units, the plugs, etc... they are clearly different hardware. The units in this thread are competing different product.

It's about more than basic hardware anyway....vehicle integration is critical and getting all of that right is important.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-26-2012 at 11:18 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #1873
Chilton88

My Ride: 325ci, 325xi
Get you better than what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
Are you planning on doing the install yourself?

In my opinion, calling the Enco B046 a "Dynavin Clone", as the title represents, is a bit disingenuous. All signs point to it being, quite literally, the OEM part the Dynavin is based on. Paying a premium for a Dynavin-branded radio may get you better, native English-speaking customer service, and potentially better warranty support, but I believe the actual hardware will be the same.

If you're comfortable performing the installation yourself, I see no compelling reason to go with the Dynavin "brand" over the OEM part.
As Jeff said from Dynavin, these are different units with different proprietary software and hardware. What compelling evidence do you have to show they are the same units?

Read the entire thread on these units and also look into other forums I've mentioned here. A person who buys this takes on the responsibility with all issues associated with the product.
Chilton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #1874
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Thanks for supporting the site sponsors. Look closely at the pics of the units, the plugs, etc... they are clearly different hardware. The units in this thread are competing different product.

It's about more than basic hardware anyway....vehicle integration is critical and getting all of that right is important.
While I do appreciate your financial sponsorship of the forum, I have no delusions it's based in opportunity rather than benevolence.

I have no allegiance with you, nor any other sponsors of the forum; my allegiance is with fellow members. I don't post here to hurt your feelings, start a fight, or deny you a customer base.

If there's a better place for me to post my opinions about the "Enco B046" than in the thread "Enco B046 - Dynavin Clone", I'm all ears.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #1875
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilton88 View Post
As Jeff said from Dynavin, these are different units with different proprietary software and hardware. What compelling evidence do you have to show they are the same units?

Read the entire thread on these units and also look into other forums I've mentioned here. A person who buys this takes on the responsibility with all issues associated with the product.
This is the correct way to look at it. It seems over the last few pages that these posters have missed much of what happened in the middle of this thread....I thought this thread would die based on all the bad experiences but it seems they have been buried in this giant thread! I think some very important info is being pushed back a few pages and the bad stuff that happened only a couple months ago is going to end up costing some fanatics in the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
While I do appreciate your financial sponsorship of the forum, I have no delusions it's based in opportunity rather than benevolence.

I have no allegiance with you, nor any other sponsors of the forum; my allegiance is with fellow members. I don't post here to hurt your feelings, start a fight, or deny you a customer base.

If there's a better place for me to post my opinions about the "Enco B046" than in the thread "Enco B046 - Dynavin Clone", I'm all ears.
This isnt about hurting anyone's feelings or starting fights. There is A LOT of misinformation on these forums both about these units AND the dynavin units. I was pointing out that your post was incorrect, the units are not the same, not really even similar.

From what I have seen the Enco and the other units by different names would be more accurately called Hualingan clones, all the pics I have seen show that they appear to be the similar to the Hualingan units from a couple years ago. Those units existed alongside the early dynavin units, they were not copies, they were a competing product. But for all the reasons mentioned in this thread they failed. Dynavin kept going, and now the enco units have shown up looking similar so the story repeats itself......I posted about this early in this thread but I would not blame anyone for not reading a 100+ page thread....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #1876
PainBreak

Quote:
This is the correct way to look at it. It seems over the last few pages that these posters have missed much of what happened in the middle of this thread....I thought this would die based on all the bad experiences but it seems they have been buried in this giant thread!

This isnt about hurting anyones feelings or starting fights. There is A LOT of misinformation on these forums both about these units AND the dynavin units. I was pointing out that your post was incorrect, the units are not the same, not really even similar.

From what I have seen the Enco and the other units by different names would be more accurately called Hualingan clones as all the pics I have seen show that they appear to be the similar as the Hualingan units from a couple years ago. Those units existed alongside the early dynavin units, they were not copies, they were a competing product. But for all the reasons mentioned in this thread they failed. Dynavin kept going, and now the enco units have shown up looking similar so the story repeats itself......I posted about this early in this thread but I would not blame anyone for not reading a 100+ page thread....
I've read the entire thread, and as a whole, you're correct in that it's mucked up with misinformation. It is also just as rife with speculation, and I admit that I've added to that, but I preface this speculation with indicative phrases such as, "I believe" and "in my opinion" in the same way you've said, "from what I have seen."

It would do everyone in this thread a great service if you'd post a 6 side view of the Dynavin D99+ for the E46. I would love to compare and contrast with the latest Enco model, so we can spot all of the differences. At the very least, those differences would put to rest any delusions anyone has that they're identical hardware, no?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1877
J&T Distributing

Ok, here you go:

Enco pic, page 1 of this thread, note back pic in the upper right.

Back of a dynavin D99+, completely different layout, dynaivn has USBs and antennas on "pigtails", heat sink instead of a fan.

Dynavin DVD circuit board, note Dynavin logo and part number:

Dynavin main board, note Dynavin logo and part number:

ALSO, besides being obviously different behind the scenes, the faces themselves are different, note the "bars" between the buttons on the enco. To say they are the same hardware when they dont even look or operate the same is simply incorrect.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 12-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #1878
seraph123

My Ride: 01 330Ci
i commute between new york and Massachusetts every week, tempted to get one!

has anyone received the latest android 4.0 unit? does it solve previous problems?

also mine is a 2001 330ci with HK. i believe i do need an LOC. but do i need any antenna adapters and how many? some says pre 02 HUs have two antenna connectors and one must be blocked?

thanks!
seraph123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #1879
PainBreak

Quote:
Ok, here you go:
Thanks for posting those pics. That helps tremendously.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #1880
seraph123

My Ride: 01 330Ci
i was told by Jolly that if my amp is in the trunk (HK) I need an extension cable. is it easy to wire?
seraph123 is offline   Reply With Quote