E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Brahms

My Ride: Ford Excursion PSD
Skinny winter tires on a 330xi?

Maybe this isn't the best first post for a newbie, but here goes. Several "winter tire" threads say "Longer, skinnier contact patches are the ticket for winter," or words to that effect. Based on that, then putting my 205/70/15 Pirelli studs (ex-Honda Accord) on OEM BMW steelies doesn't sound like such a bad idea. The tire is a little under 26 inches tall, where the OEM 205/50/17s are something a little over 25. In Georgia, the problem is not snow, but ice. Studs seem to work better than chains in our situation.

No, I don't yet own the car - I'm going to look at it this weekend. No, I'm not going to bore you with "is this a good deal" or anything like that. I am looking for a small AWD car to complement the Excursion and the DRZ (I live on a muddy dirt/gravel road), and a 325xi/330xi is more appealing than a Subaru Legacy.

Observations from the experts?
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
VERY few 16" rims clear the front calipers. No way will your 15" tires be made to work without 86 mm spacers.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Brahms

Thanks greatly - exactly the answer I needed, but it leads to a second question. There's a set of 15 inch steelies for a '99 323(?) on Atlanta craigslist. Did the later E46s (in particular the xi) ever come with steel wheels? Steelies are much easier to mount tires on. . .

Last edited by Brahms; 12-27-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Brahms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Steelies were only OE on older 323i models.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Brahms

Very good, and many thanks. I guess I'll be talking to you, Gary, if I end up with this 330xi. I knew there were some truly smart people on this forum!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack View Post
Steelies were only OE on older 323i models.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote