E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
323i 99 M/T Clutch Kit Replacement Q's

Hi All,

found a few DIY guide in replacing my sliding clutch on my 180K 1999 323i E46 - body 2.5L 5Speed M/T but really confuse and lost on which one i should get (that includes the brand and exact part#).

questions:

1: which brand would you recommend (LUK/Sachs/GF/Exedy etc..) and using right now? there are a few part# and model# out there and that's why i made this thread because it confuses me a lot which one to buy online??

2: will i be needing a special tool in removing/installing it? now this confuses me again because i read that i might be needing (sold separately) an alignment tool?

3: will an E36 98-99 clutch kit work on my car? i read (i could be wrong) that my car 323i 99 e46 have the same engine on the last generation of e36 body..

4: lastly - any important tips (dos and don'ts) from you guys who previously done it? all the pointers i get will really help me a lot.

thanks all in advance..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Go with the name brands. I think the Sachs is made by Liz too.

Yes, you will need the specific alignment pin for your clutch.

Don't forget about your pilot bearing.

Very easy to replace.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 12-02-2012 at 12:31 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
mikeetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Go with the name brands. I think the Sachs is made by Liz too.

Yes, you will need the specific alignment pin for your clutch.

Don't forget about your pilot bearing.

Very easy to replace.
this will work on my car right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321024133211...211%26_rdc%3D1

323i 1999 2.5L M/T 6Cyl E46 body?

where can i get the alignment tool and pilot bearing?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
mikeetastic

badly need your help guys!!

for those who DIY installed their clutch kit here is my problem..

first my car and parts info:

- car is 323i 4Door Sedan @190K mileage first time clutch replacement
- flywheel is the same stock
- clutch and pressure plate (Luk 4122E1003) that i bought is (SAC) Luk 03-047 from here: http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=luk+03-047&x=0&y=0
- Luk clutch catalog showing i got the correct kit http://catalog.schaeffler-aftermarke...99&engine=2.5L..

- i reinstalled everything correctly including triple checking the disc to be on the gearbox side (written GETRIEBESEITE)

- torque the pressure plate first to specification then remove the shipping plate after(looks like a ninja shuriken)

PROBLEM: when i start the car, clutch and car wont do anything?? i can even change gear even if i'm not stepping on my clutch while the engine is running.. im also sure that the transmission is changing gears because when i shift to reverse the reverse light will turn ON. i also bleed the clutch and pretty sure no more bubbles coming out of it and the clutch pedal is really hard to step on already..

again car engine is running and i can change gears (1-5 and reverse) without stepping on the clutch

HELP ME guys !!!

Questions:

1: is the pressure plate springs suppose to be compress even if i remove the shipping plate (star shrunken like lock) like this image: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8098/61393168.jpg

2: could be my Slave cylinder is now broken?? the reason i asked is during the transmission removal the push rod just fell off the cylinder even without someone stepping the clutch (while cylinder is remove) so i just pushed it back in by hand..

3: any suggestions on what should i do or check?

Thanks to all in advance..

Last edited by mikeetastic; 12-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Does not sound good.

Check the slave cylinder to see if it is connected correctly adjective working as it should.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
mikeetastic

Quote:
Does not sound good.

Check the slave cylinder to see if it is connected correctly adjective working as it should.
well it's hard when i step on it but it's still harder before i replaced my clutch.. i also asked someone to press the rod all the way down while removed and the rod pushes up..

can't think of anything else i did wrong aside from the slave cylinder being broken??

question:

- is the push rod suppose to fall off like that? i just left it hanging on the side when i remove them the transmission and the rods just fell on the floor..

also are the pressure plate springs suppose to be in compress position when all is in place and shipping plate (star lock) remove? i just wanna rule this one out because my old pressure plate (the one i remove) is stretched out..

Quote:
1: is the pressure plate springs suppose to be compress even if i remove the shipping plate (star shrunken like lock) like this image:
again thanks all in advance for the help..

Last edited by mikeetastic; 12-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
BMWCaptain

The slave rod can come out. It just spans the distance from the slave piston to the transmission.

You should verify if your slave is ok, and also verify if your tranny clutch is moving as it should.

Go over online photos and see if you installed it correctly.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
mikeetastic

Quote:
and also verify if your tranny clutch is moving as it should..
what do you mean by this??
Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
BMWCaptain

Push the clutch fork in to see how the clutch plate travels when you do that.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
mikeetastic

late update:

im rolling for a few days now.. changed the slave, re-bleed the clutch while the slave is installed then im golden..

ah what a painful days that was...