E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Summary of proposed Feinstein Legislation

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by: Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I don't like the registration, finger print and photograph requirement under the false premise of protecting current Gun owners

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
jott5555

My Ride: 01 330ci
I don't much care for any of it, these ass hats fail to realize that an armed america is a protected america. statistical data PROVES that when people are armed crime drops.. If anything they should use their bloated salaries to supply every person with a quality gun safe.. Guns are locked up from bad guys, firearms market thrives, manufacturing thrives and creates jobs. Look at that I just fixed the economy.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
The hilarious thing is about adding them to the NFA...what a joke. First off, that many gins would backlog the ATF for 10 years. Second, 80% of LEO won't sign off on the Forms. So, they would have to establish a trust or Corp.

What does it say about grandfathering current high-cap mags?

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

It's also scary that handguns are now included. Prepare for the rush on handguns like there is for ARs.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Hopefully the handgun part will get it tossed. Maybe they try for too much control and people actually stop and think.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Lovely.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
No way is EVERY SINGLE 'assault style weapon' going to be registered under the NFA. The ATF can barely keep up as it is. That's just insane.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I don't believe that this will go through. For you guys talking about the ATF though, look at the lady line. It calls for funding to support the legislation.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
No surprise...they are also going to have a hard time passing anything. Can't wait till this gets shot down. No pun intended
Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
No way is EVERY SINGLE 'assault style weapon' going to be registered under the NFA. The ATF can barely keep up as it is. That's just insane.
Think of all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's 200 bucks a gun, receiver, silencer, etc.

TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I read somewhere that there is going to be an amnesty and the tax will be waived during that time

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Brb, applying for a job at BATFE.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
NOVAbimmer

I completely support reasonable gun control. For instance: if you can show, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the dividing line between Joe Smith commuting a violent crime is whether or not he has a firearm, and if he does possess one, he will, with 100% certainty, commit said violent crime, then by all means, Joe should not be allowed to have a gun.

But if all you want to do is speculate about what firearm features make owners more likely to commit a crime with them, there's no conversation tone had. You may as well suggest that 19 inch wheels or premium stereos cause people to speed.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

There's already too much unreasonable gun control in this country as it is. Options do not instill a criminal mindset in owners.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Great. Now I have to worry about buying M&P magazines before the price jacks up.

I have to submit fingerprints for my CHL. That's fine and dandy. To just own a gun though? Outrageous.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
You need to contact your senators and other elected officials and let them know you do not support any type of ban. Apparently from the video Obama is pushing for a ban on high capacity magazines and "military" style riles etc.

Apparently the administration completely ignored our votes and lumped all the petitions under one response. This is by no means acceptable and if you dont want your rights revoked you need to speak up. That means contacting your elected officials.

Here is a link with info on how to contact your elected officials:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962249
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Wow NY governor talking about possible confiscation of guns in NY! Holly mother this is going to get ugly!
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Yea....we will see how this goes.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

The NRA sent out a more comprehensive breakdown:

Reduces, from two to one, the number of permitted external features on various firearms. The 1994 ban permitted various firearms to be manufactured only if they were assembled with no more than one feature listed in the law. Feinstein’s new bill would prohibit the manufacture of the same firearms with even one of the features.

· Adopts new lists of prohibited external features. For example, whereas the 1994 ban applied to a rifle or shotgun the “pistol grip” of which “protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,” the new bill would drastically expand the definition to include any “grip . . . or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.” Also, the new bill adds “forward grip” to the list of prohibiting features for rifles, defining it as “a grip located forward of the trigger that functions as a pistol grip.” Read literally and in conjunction with the reduction from two features to one, the new language would apply to every detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifle. At a minimum, it would, for example, ban all models of the AR-15, even those developed for compliance with California’s highly restrictive ban.

· Carries hyperbole further than the 1994 ban. Feinstein’s 1994 ban listed “grenade launcher” as one of the prohibiting features for rifles. Her 2013 bill carries goes even further into the ridiculous, by also listing “rocket launcher.” Such devices are restricted under the National Firearms Act and, obviously, are not standard components of the firearms Feinstein wants to ban. Perhaps a subsequent Feinstein bill will add “nuclear bomb,” “particle beam weapon,” or something else equally far-fetched to the features list.

· Expands the definition of “assault weapon” by including:

· Three very popular rifles: The M1 Carbine (introduced in 1944 and for many years sold by the federal government to individuals involved in marksmanship competition), a model of the Ruger Mini-14, and most or all models of the SKS.

· Any “semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds,” except for tubular-magazine .22s.

· Any “semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches,” any “semiautomatic handgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds,” and any semi-automatic handgun that has a threaded barrel.

· Requires owners of existing “assault weapons” to register them with the federal government under the National Firearms Act (NFA). The NFA imposes a $200 tax per firearm, and requires an owner to submit photographs and fingerprints to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), to inform the BATFE of the address where the firearm will be kept, and to obtain the BATFE’s permission to transport the firearm across state lines.

· Prohibits the transfer of “assault weapons.” Owners of other firearms, including those covered by the NFA, are permitted to sell them or pass them to heirs. However, under Feinstein’s new bill, “assault weapons” would remain with their current owners until their deaths, at which point they would be forfeited to the government.

· Prohibits the domestic manufacture and the importation of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The 1994 ban allowed the importation of such magazines that were manufactured before the ban took effect. Whereas the 1994 ban protected gun owners from errant prosecution by making the government prove when a magazine was made, the new ban includes no such protection. The new ban also requires firearm dealers to certify the date of manufacture of any >10-round magazine sold, a virtually impossible task, given that virtually no magazines are stamped with their date of manufacture.

· Targets handguns in defiance of the Supreme Court. The Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment protects the right to have handguns for self-defense, in large part on the basis of the fact handguns are the type of firearm “overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose.” Semi-automatic pistols, which are the most popular handguns today, are designed to use detachable magazines, and the magazines “overwhelmingly chosen” by Americans for self-defense are those that hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, Feinstein’s list of nearly 1,000 firearms exempted by name (see next paragraph) contains not a single handgun. Sen. Feinstein advocated banning handguns before being elected to the Senate, though she carried a handgun for her own personal protection.

· Contains a larger piece of window dressing than the 1994 ban. Whereas the 1994 ban included a list of approximately 600 rifles and shotguns exempted from the ban by name, the new bill’s list is increased to nearly 1,000 rifles and shotguns. Other than for the 11 detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and one other semi-automatic rifle included in the list, however, the list appears to be pointless, because a separate provision of the bill exempts “any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.”