E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #181
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
The fan has no pulley.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #182
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Just found this DIY and set it to favorites!

I can hear my pulleys making noise now that the temps are getting colder. I was going to do these soon and ordered the parts from Pelican... But then I started thinking about the water pump... Then the hoses... Then the expansion tank, etc...

I also want to look into replacing the manual clutch fan with the electric fan. My thoughts right now are that the auto has two fans (maybe) for a reason. From what I have read... You remove the clutch fan and the front ux fan on the automatic versions and then you install the electric fan using the sensor from the front fan. I would assume that the front fan, on an automatic, would turn on at times that it as about to overheat. (IE, the clutch stopped working correctly.)

If you replace the clutch fan with an electric fan using that logic... The new electric fan would only come on at the preset temp saying the car was in overheat mode. Is this correct?

Can anyone shoot holes in that logic? (Please!) I'd like to upgrade but am unsure because of this.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #183
awszach

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Im stuck removing the belt

I am replacing my water pump and cant figure out out to get the belt off. the first one was fine, release tension with the spring no big deal. this one I feel is different than the videos, I dont have a 16 mm in that spot i was using a 14 and that even did nothing. I have a coupe, 5 speed? and help. thank god i have the day off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	498978  
awszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #184
mps

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by awszach View Post
I am replacing my water pump and cant figure out out to get the belt off. the first one was fine, release tension with the spring no big deal. this one I feel is different than the videos, I dont have a 16 mm in that spot i was using a 14 and that even did nothing. I have a coupe, 5 speed? and help. thank god i have the day off
It's under the dust cap on the pulley in the middle of the big ones. Also, this is probably a 45 torx if I remember it correctly.

Last edited by mps; 04-05-2013 at 04:08 PM.
mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #185
Stinger9

Quote:
You've got the hydraulic tensioner. As stated before, pry off the dust cap on the pulley and check for what size you need under there. Be gentle. It finesses nicely.

Last edited by Stinger9; 04-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #186
awszach

dust cap, tensenor?
am stupid?
this is ridiculous
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	498988  
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #187
mps

No worries. We are all learning here. Hope you for it figured out.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #188
awszach

Alright guys, I got the belt off but not my loosening the tension, now i still need to learn how to loosen the tension to get it back on, my car is in pieces in the driveway and I have to cancel my big plans tomorrow now =(

please help me guys, I have put a wrench on all the bolts/nuts IDK! nothing is giving me tension, I tied the allen, the i think it was either 14 or 11mm socket. what am i supposed to do nothing is giving me tension??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	499000  
Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #189
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I thought there was a smaller area to put a wrench on to untorque the tensioners?

I am doing a complete cooling system overhaul this weekend so I will follow this...

OP... Have you checked out pictures on the Internet of tensioners that are NOT installed so you can get a good look at how they work? As I recall.. There is a 5/8" spot to get a socket on to undo the tension...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #190
Stinger9

Quote:
Alright guys, I got the belt off but not my loosening the tension, now i still need to learn how to loosen the tension to get it back on, my car is in pieces in the driveway and I have to cancel my big plans tomorrow now =(

please help me guys, I have put a wrench on all the bolts/nuts IDK! nothing is giving me tension, I tied the allen, the i think it was either 14 or 11mm socket. what am i supposed to do nothing is giving me tension??
Did you take the belt off? It goes back on the same way. Did you route the new belt the same way?
The hydraulic tensioner defaults to the tightest position. Get the belt in place and wrench the tensioner to a 'looser' position. Ease the belt back over the idler, and release the wrench slowly.
If this does not help, you need to write down much more info so we can spot what you are doing wrong. We have done this before and it works fine and is easy if you're doing all the steps correctly.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #191
awszach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Did you take the belt off? It goes back on the same way. Did you route the new belt the same way?
The hydraulic tensioner defaults to the tightest position. Get the belt in place and wrench the tensioner to a 'looser' position. Ease the belt back over the idler, and release the wrench slowly.
If this does not help, you need to write down much more info so we can spot what you are doing wrong. We have done this before and it works fine and is easy if you're doing all the steps correctly.
yes, my problem is "wrenching the tensioner to a looser position, i have absolutely no idea how to do it. iin my picture i pointed im trying everything i can connect a tool to and nothing is giving me this tension. if someone would take my picture and put an arrow on what is supposed to be giving me tension? i have absolutley no idea and i think ive tried them all...
Old 04-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #192
mps

Take a look at your picture where you labeled ' the bolt does nothing'.. This is ur hydraulic tensioner.. on one end of the tensioner, there's a pulley.. This is the one that will relieve the tension. This is the one you labeled 'This pulley does nothing in any direction'.. There is a lot of tension on this one. YOu will need a breaker bar.. Go clock-wise to relieve the tension. You will see the entire pulley moving as it relieves the tension.. REmember, it is a high tension..
Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #193
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps View Post
Take a look at your picture where you labeled ' the bolt does nothing'.. This is ur hydraulic tensioner.. on one end of the tensioner, there's a pulley.. This is the one that will relieve the tension. This is the one you labeled 'This pulley does nothing in any direction'.. There is a lot of tension on this one. YOu will need a breaker bar.. Go clock-wise to relieve the tension. You will see the entire pulley moving as it relieves the tension.. REmember, it is a high tension..
Good description. Just add that it moves slowly as you are literally moving hydraulic fluid with a piston. Strong steady torque and you will see the pulley move.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #194
awszach

verry nice guys, its a combination of them! i just went from dreading life without a car in this cold spring, to, i cant wait for the sun to come up to keep trying
Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #195
awszach

my labels my labels

Last edited by awszach; 04-05-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #196
TJ69

My Ride: 328CI
Smile :)

:
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #197
saturn

My Ride: 525i
Hey Guys, I know this is old thread, but I found the OP DIY was quite nice. I think my water pump is leaking on my M54B25 E60. So I am planning to doing this project myself. Question I have is from the bentley manual for E39 with same egine, it says;
"Be sure to replace sealing O-ring and gaskets"

Which gasket are required to be replaced for water pump, as I know of only the O-Ring.

Also, before installing the O-Ring it is recommend to use water based lubricant, does anyone know what I can use?
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #198
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
O-ring is the only "gasket" on an e46, as I recall. For o-ring lubricant I've used antifreeze mixture.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #199
saturn

My Ride: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
O-ring is the only "gasket" on an e46, as I recall. For o-ring lubricant I've used antifreeze mixture.
Thank you Sansho for quick and accurate response
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #200
Stinger9

I always suggest to use O-ring lube preferably. Works like a dream. Makes hard assemby go together easy. A tube will last for many years.

http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Sili...ords=syl+glide

Tags
coolant, expansion, stewart, tensioner, water pump