E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenrot88 View Post
I am truly inspired by our size compared to the vast size of the universe. Many times when I am stressed or overwhelmed, I think about a statement a dear person told me long ago. I was told by this person to think about all my problems and how much they mean to me and how important they are. He stated that the camera lens was focused on me, then he asked me to zoom out and see my issues along side those next to me, then the whole neighborhood, town, city, state, country, earth, earth moon so on, milky way and still go on till nothing is recognizable. At which point nothing that I or any one alive feels or does matters to the sands of time. Its is that philosophy that guides me through every day.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: Ghey Mobile
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
If you are an engineer, you should pursue the education. I loved cars when I was in college. I still do. However, I design and troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for hospitals and other commercial buildings. I love what I do, and still work on cars.
I am not sure who said it on the forums (cowmoo32 comes to mind), but I heard that if you become an engineer chances are you will be working on HVAC systems. I don't know about you, but this seems rather depressing if that is the case. Engineering is a general area that empasses many areas of our life, so I am sure most engineers don't want to end up going into this industry.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
cowmoo32
drunken science

It was me. A lot of mech engineers end up doing building mechanical work (plubming, hvac, sprinkler, etc) and 90% of them get into the major expecting to be working on cars and motorcycles. It happens, but you have to be the best of the best.

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I am not sure who said it on the forums (cowmoo32 comes to mind), but I heard that if you become an engineer chances are you will be working on HVAC systems. I don't know about you, but this seems rather depressing if that is the case. Engineering is a general area that empasses many areas of our life, so I am sure most engineers don't want to end up going into this industry.

Wasn't cowmoo but cowmoo responded to the response. Having a hard time figuring out the username right now.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
manischewitz

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenrot88 View Post
I am truly inspired by our size compared to the vast size of the universe. Many times when I am stressed or overwhelmed, I think about a statement a dear person told me long ago. I was told by this person to think about all my problems and how much they mean to me and how important they are. He stated that the camera lens was focused on me, then he asked me to zoom out and see my issues along side those next to me, then the whole neighborhood, town, city, state, country, earth, earth moon so on, milky way and still go on till nothing is recognizable. At which point nothing that I or any one alive feels or does matters to the sands of time. Its is that philosophy that guides me through every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Yes! Someone else gets it. This is what inspires me, and it crosses my mind every single day.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #27
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
It was me. A lot of mech engineers end up doing building mechanical work (plubming, hvac, sprinkler, etc) and 90% of them get into the major expecting to be working on cars and motorcycles. It happens, but you have to be the best of the best.
that is EXACTLY what happened to me
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
that is EXACTLY what happened to me
Is that why you moved into law?
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #29
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Yes! Someone else gets it. This is what inspires me, and it crosses my mind every single day.
It'll either make you live every day to the fullest or drive you into a deep depression once you realize just how insignificant you actually are.

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #31
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
It'll either make you live every day to the fullest or drive you into a deep depression once you realize just how insignificant you actually are.
You're exactly right, I find people's reactions to it very polarizing. They either love it, like I do, or they came back at me and say something like, "So what does that mean, I should just off myself?"

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Is that why you moved into law?
i just didn't want to suck at my job for the rest of my life

Last edited by Mike Larry; 12-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Comes down to the personality and willpower at that point.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #34
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Comes down to the personality and willpower at that point.
I think it has more to do with intelligence.

2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46330iguy View Post
Because It wouldnt save you fuel on a 40 hp Engine, A turbo atomizes the air to help it burn better. Larger engines tend to be less efficent thus why they make a difference is my understanding

Nothing to do with atomization of fuel. Normally aspirated engines suck air into the pistons during the intake stroke. Therefore the air inside the piston at the start of the compression stroke is typically less than atmospheric pressure. A turbo charger pumps compressed air into the piston during the intake stroke. Therefore the air inside the cylinder is typically above atmospheric pressure at the start of the compression stroke. The net effect is more air inside the cylinder at the start of the compression stroke. This achieves a higher compression ratio equivalent to a normally aspirated engine with larger cylinders but without the additional piston mass and inertia of the larger engine. Net effect is higher performance which should not be confused with higher efficiency. Of course, turbo charging does require an appropriate adjustment in fuel delivery in order to maintain the optimum 14.7 : 1 air to fuel ratio.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-26-2012 at 01:07 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #36
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i just didn't want to suck at my job for the rest of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I think it has more to do with intelligence.
Mental fortitude. I don't think you don't have to be intelligent to accept your place.

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #37
rosenrot88

My Ride: E63 M6
Quote:
awesome
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #38
mkodama

Mechanical systems and efficiency inspire me.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
NASA inspires me.
I am working on my ME, but am an "engineer without the degree" at my job. Every course I complete makes me a better engineer. The science really opens my eyes.
I have a AS degree in CAD design. That is what got my foot in the door.

So, regarding the personality: You've heard animal people say that have a kinship with animals? I have a kinship with machines.

I was a car guy until I found out how magnificently superior aircraft and space vehicles are. Now THAT is top shelf engineering.

Last edited by SonicBoom; 12-27-2012 at 08:05 PM.
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #40
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Money and pussy... In that order!