E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #41
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Your mom

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #42
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
...also art, music, nature, math, women, and I've had some very inspirational moments when very very far from sober

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-27-2012 at 09:15 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #43
Johnson023
Banned User

My Ride: SDF
Money and dreams
Johnson023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #44
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Regarding just cars? Well to me it's all about personality and making a car your own. I really respect what others have done to their car as long as its not too stupid.
YES this interests me a lot to. the way that people "mod" there cars is a HUGE reflection of the type of person that they are.

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #45
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Money and pussy... In that order!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #46
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Nothing

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #47
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Your mom
Sounds like you could be "Big Rick's" second inspiration.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #48
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
manufacturing and robotics inspire me.

actually specifically the science behind lasers and optronics inspire me.

Eurobahn BMW MINI Mercedes-Benz Audi - Greensboro, NC Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Eurobahn BMW; 12-28-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #49
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I was a car guy until I found out how magnificently superior aircraft and space vehicles are. Now THAT is top shelf engineering.
But the beauty of engineering cars is that they are targeted towards the widest range of users possible - everyone from a 16-yr old beginner to a grandma to a soccer mom to an enthusiast to a total novice. Anytime automotive engineers introduce a new safety, emissions or performance enhancing technology, we take this into account in the underlying engineering Whereas aircraft, space vehicles and ships are meant for usage by highly trained personnel. Cars have the greatest outreach in terms of sheer numbers and penetration. IMO that's one of the things that make engineering cars interesting. I'm a car guy and I'm motivated by the performance and engineering of cars, but I'm not really turned on by things that fly or sail.. I've thought about why, and maybe this is why.. Different strokes for different folks!

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
But the beauty of engineering cars is that they are targeted towards the widest range of users possible - everyone from a 16-yr old beginner to a grandma to a soccer mom to an enthusiast to a total novice. Anytime automotive engineers introduce a new safety, emissions or performance enhancing technology, we take this into account in the underlying engineering Whereas aircraft, space vehicles and ships are meant for usage by highly trained personnel. Cars have the greatest outreach in terms of sheer numbers and penetration. IMO that's one of the things that make engineering cars interesting. I'm a car guy and I'm motivated by the performance and engineering of cars, but I'm not really turned on by things that fly or sail.. I've thought about why, and maybe this is why.. Different strokes for different folks!
It is considerably more difficult to design for a user base that can range in intelligence from high IQ to dumb as a box of frogs. Especially when its you that gets the sh*t if the dumb ones do something typically dumb and get messed up as a result. Give me a one (maybe two) off space shuttle to develop any time.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #51
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
It is considerably more difficult to design for a user base that can range in intelligence from high IQ to dumb as a box of frogs. Especially when its you that gets the sh*t if the dumb ones do something typically dumb and get messed up as a result. Give me a one (maybe two) off space shuttle to develop any time.
Very true! That would allow you to focus on the cutting-edge tech rather than avoiding user errors..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
It was me. A lot of mech engineers end up doing building mechanical work (plubming, hvac, sprinkler, etc) and 90% of them get into the major expecting to be working on cars and motorcycles. It happens, but you have to be the best of the best.
There are small racing start ups too. A lot of Cornell MechEs work for SpaceX and smaller numbers with Deltawing and F1.

If anything, I'd say more racing engineers go into NASCAR than big three (GM, Ford).
Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #53
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
OP just got its license.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #54
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Actually, engineering offers a bunch of career paths. I'm currently in HVAC, but I've been a plant engineer in a coal fired power plant, and a plant engineer in a bourbon distillery. Everything you see (that is not natural, with the exception of corn, but that's another story) has been touched by an engineer. An engineer was involved in the design and production of the keys you are using to type your reply to this, not to mention the computer you are using.....

I enjoy the work I do in the building industry. It allows me to see the factories where things are made, and how they are made. It allows me to design and install HVAC systems that ensure that proper ventilation and comfort are provided to the people that spend 40+ hours per week in these buildings. It also allows me to work with the mechanics that install the piping and ductwork and equipment that makes all this happen. Some of them have been around long enough to know more than I do about what works, and what doesn't work.

I've been practicing engineering since 1984, and I learn something new every day. I couldn't imagine a better life for me than this.

The automotive industry is very competitive for engineers. When I graduated, I was not the type (and am still not) that could work in the corporate environment of the automotive industry. I chose a different path, and am very happy with my choice.
For sure engineering offers a variety of paths than one can take. I should have been more clear when talking about engineering, but what I meant to say was mechanical engineering, which cowmoo32 responded to my post already. If someone is a mechanical engineer I assume that they want to work on something automotive related, but it seems like a huge let down if they are most likely going to work on HVAC systems don't you think? When I think of a person that works on HVAC systems I tend to think of a janitor or someone that just needs to go to trade school, but I guess I had the wrong idea.

I am trying to break into a software engineering role, so I am an engineer in the sense that I "design and develop things," but everyone knows that software engineers are not considered as real engineers lol. I enjoy what I do everyday and it gives me a little bit of freedom and a chance to use my creativity on selected projects. I got into this field doing what I excepted to do everyday: code. I feel like if you are majoring in mechanical engineering you kind of expect to do one thing, but in reality end up doing another (from how others talk about it). As for other types of engineering (Civil, Chemical, Electrical, Computer), I think they also end up doing what they expect to do.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 12-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.
nikkeiS2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #55
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I am trying to break into a software engineering role, so I am an engineer in the sense that I "design and develop things," but everyone knows that software engineers are not considered as real engineers lol.
Software Engineering is a misnoma. Developing software is not engineering in any sense of the word. I worked for Otis Elevator for 13 years and worked my way up from the drawing board to the R&D Engineering department designing and testing elevator equipment as a Design Engineer. Mechanical Engineering, of course. In the run up towards the end of my time at Otis I was involved in developing CAD systems for the drawing office. This engaged some Pascal programming skills that I learned as part of my degree course.

Redundancy, and a collapse of the manufacturing sector in the UK, saw me leaving and going in a completely different direction. I got a job as a junior COBOL programmer in a corporate bank. I eventually left the bank 13 years ago and have been in the software business ever since. Currently developing web and desktop systems built around Microsoft's .Net Framework. Object Orientated, of course, using C# language. There have been a few other languages along the way: Perl, BASIC, Visual Basic, VBScript Java, JavaScript. They come and go. Its been a nightmare trying to keep up.

But its not just about programming. Systems architecture and database modelling are a huge part of the solution. You need to understand these things as well.

So it is doable. Just don't expect any aspect of your engineering background to be of any use to you. Its a new world entirely.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #56
nikkeiS2K

Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
So it is doable. Just don't expect any aspect of your engineering background to be of any use to you. Its a new world entirely.
My background is entirely in programming. I was just complaining about how mechanical engineers seem like the only engineers who go into the workforce doing something complete different than anticipated.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #57
RayPooley

Quote:
My background is entirely in programming. I was just complaining about how mechanical engineers seem like the only engineers who go into the workforce doing something complete different than anticipated.
You said "I am trying to break into a software engineering role" which implied, to me at least, you were doing something other than software. Anyway, what platform are you coding in?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #58
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
You said "I am trying to break into a software engineering role" which implied, to me at least, you were doing something other than software. Anyway, what platform are you coding in?
Yes I am a student still that is why lol. I am doing part-time work with MS .NET MVC 3 and coding in C# just like yourself. My current project involves fixing bugs for their existing web applications. Before that I worked on converting one of their web apps to work with touch-screen mobile devices, specifically iPads but I wanted to safeguard for all touch devices since they are heading that direction anyways. I am just using this as an "internship" until I find full-time work somewhere else post-graduation.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #59
RayPooley

Quote:
Yes I am a student still that is why lol. I am doing part-time work with MS .NET MVC 3 and coding in C# just like yourself. My current project involves fixing bugs for their existing web applications. Before that I worked on converting one of their web apps to work with touch-screen mobile devices, specifically iPads but I wanted to safeguard for all touch devices since they are heading that direction anyways. I am just using this as an "internship" until I find full-time work somewhere else post-graduation.
Ok. I get it now. Word of advise. Don't put all your faith in MVC or even MS for that matter. If all you do is spoon feed on MS and .Net you will never undestand the fundamentals of software development. I always refer to .Net as the .Net lego set. Its little blocks of code that you assemble in accordance with the instructions on the lid. You really need to be aiming for platform independance. When you can build an application end to end with nothing more than a text editor and a compiler then you will be a software developer. As your software career develops in the commercial world you will find that you start to come across more complex requirements that can't be delivered by plugging .Net framework blocks together. You will need to be capable of designing more and more of your own custom classes in order to deliver the solution.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #60
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I'm not sure what it is about this forum that periodically drives people to write these manifestos.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote