E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
kevin.john1

My Ride: 2002, 325xi wagon
power steering hose removal

I need to replace the hose from the bottom of the p/s reservoir running to the cooler in front of the radiator, it is the upper so don't think I need to remove the coolant expansion tank. The proble is the grey plastic piece that pushes in to release the hose is cracked and gone, does anyone have a good technique for removing the hose? Do not want to have to cut if off.

Kevin

'02 325xi
kevin.john1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
There is a special tool for this.

Or you can use two pairs of channel lock pliers.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
kevin.john1

My Ride: 2002, 325xi wagon
a special tool if the grey plastic piece is missing? I tried one last night but it seems it was not long enough to engage the locking tabs inside the fitting.

how do I do it with channel locks?
kevin.john1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
I went through this the other day :-/ I ended having to remove the headlight out to be able to get a screwdriver in there and bend the tabs in on the inside of the hose. Not sure if there is an easier way, but that's what ended up working for me.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.john1 View Post
a special tool if the grey plastic piece is missing? I tried one last night but it seems it was not long enough to engage the locking tabs inside the fitting.

how do I do it with channel locks?
Actually, I think you may need to cut the hose off. You could try using the plastic piece of the new hose on the old to get it off.

I vaguely remember a special tool for this, but it may have been something a tech fabricated so he wouldn't have to cut the old hose off.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
drumbum624

My Ride: 325xi
Send a message via AIM to drumbum624
an open ended wrench works too. but unfortunately those stupid things can take hours before you get it to click off right
Old 12-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
This is the type of tool you need. Should be able get one at an auto parts store.
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...rce=igodigital
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Iggy27

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I actually removed mine today. I just got two pliers and try to get them on the opposite side. Pinch pull back and popped off.
Iggy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
thecos

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
I went through this the other day :-/ I ended having to remove the headlight out to be able to get a screwdriver in there and bend the tabs in on the inside of the hose. Not sure if there is an easier way, but that's what ended up working for me.
How were you able to do that? Any more details?

I my plastic tab broke right away, it was so brittle. Now I can't get the hose off and in any other thread I've read, people were cutting the hose off with a Dremel.

Thanks
thecos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
You need this tool:

Brand Name: Assenmacher Mfg#: BMW 5346

I think someone in forum has one that will rent it out.

Tags
hose connector, p/s hose