E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #261
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
65 lb DB shoulder press for 12. I feel like I can hit 75 for a few reps but won't be able to lift it up into position. Tips (without spotter)?
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #262
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
65 lb DB shoulder press for 12. I feel like I can hit 75 for a few reps but won't be able to lift it up into position. Tips (without spotter)?
That's a very good number. Transition to barbell standing overhead press maybe.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #263
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Use your knees! The technique will also come into play when you get into heavy dumbbell chest presses too. This will also help alleviate the obnoxious "dropping of the dumbbells" because you'll use your knees to guide the weight down and help you sit up.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #264
M3Inline6

Quote:
hey *******s I've been drinking lots of chocolate milk and haven't **** in 2 days. Tomorrow (today I guess) I'm going to try to break PR on DL/ doing back/shoulders. activating sleep right now. good night sweet h&f'ers
Do it son! Do it!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #265
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Use your knees! The technique will also come into play when you get into heavy dumbbell chest presses too. This will also help alleviate the obnoxious "dropping of the dumbbells" because you'll use your knees to guide the weight down and help you sit up.
This is really the only way I ever got heavy dumbbells up is by shooting them up with my knees.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #266
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Quote:
Hey man be careful. Don't push it if you don't have someone there to help you.

I have seen bad things happen with out a spotter. My dad even with a spotter was doing the military press with 280lb and it just slipped a lil bit and he tore his shoulder.

You should always have someone there with you. Sounds like your doing good tho man keep it up.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #267
YOLO89

My Ride: Hooptie
^ like he said def have a spotter. Doesn't hurt to have someone there to help you out a bit, if anything it helps you push yourself harder for a few more reps. Shoulders are a small muscle one wrong move and it'll never be the same again
YOLO89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #268
bwallace530

Just had a slap repair from a injury12/26/12.. I got on a wildfire trust me it sucks a$$ to get surgery man. My injury was something I had no control of but you can make sure you don't get hurt have a spotter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356720039.690285.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	483746  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #269
Sensi09

My Ride: __
For DB presses, I actually prefer no spot. If you can't get it up, just lower the weight with none of the danger of a barbell.

DB shoulder presses were one of my favorites.....too bad I can't do them anymore.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #270
bwallace530

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallace530 View Post
Just had a slap repair from a injury12/26/12.. I got on a wildfire trust me it sucks a$$ to get surgery man. My injury was something I had no control of but you can make sure you don't get hurt have a spotter.
Here's after
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1356828534.801426.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	483912  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #271
kushy

Hi

starting remicade infusions on January the 24. I think i hit 75 for a few 3 or 4 reps last time I lifted. I have this nasty flu that is going around and been inside for the last 3 and a half days.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #272
kushy

did chest today and burned it the fuuuck out. I decided at the end of my workout to get a form check. How does the form look?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #273
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
did chest today and burned it the fuuuck out. I decided at the end of my workout to get a form check. How does the form look?

Like I say on a lot of videos I see, the only actual rep you completed in my opinion was the first one. On no other rep would would the bar have even come close to your chest if you were using a barbell instead of dumbbells.

Doing reps through the full range of motion might mean you can't do as much weight, but will improve your overall fitness and help a TON with injury prevention in the future.

Just my opinion, a lot will disagree

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #274
kushy

how much further should I go down? Though it was bad for shoulders to go down any further. Glad I asked.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #275
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
how much further should I go down? Though it was bad for shoulders to go down any further. Glad I asked.
Down far enough that if there was a bar connecting the two dumbbells that it would touch your chest.

There's a reason the first rep looked like the hardest. You were having to go through range of motion that you only go through once every set.

It would be bad for your shoulders if all of a sudden you tried doing that weight full range of motion every rep, so you might have to lower the weight and work back up.

Again like I said just my opinion.

Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #276
kushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Down far enough that if there was a bar connecting the two dumbbells that it would touch your chest.

There's a reason the first rep looked like the hardest. You were having to go through range of motion that you only go through once every set.

It would be bad for your shoulders if all of a sudden you tried doing that weight full range of motion every rep, so you might have to lower the weight and work back up.

Again like I said just my opinion.

respectable opinion coming from you. I will try to get another video on Sunday and see if I improve. Besides the ROM anything else?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #277
M3Inline6

I can understand Glight's POV despite not performing reps like him. I prefer to take my shoulders out of the equation when performing chest movements as much as possible. I work on ROM all week, every week in Capoeira, and Capoeira movements are TAXING on knees, hips and rotator cuffs (..and the most common injuries for Capoeira practitioners involve those three areas) . I don't need the added stress in the gym, plus I lose the tension in my chest when I drop too far below parallel; it doesn't feel right to my body. I would suggest dropping your elbows slightly lower than you are, but it's up to you. My reps are exactly like this (..just slightly below parallel):

Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #278
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
some beautiful men in this thread
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #279
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Like I say on a lot of videos I see, the only actual rep you completed in my opinion was the first one. On no other rep would would the bar have even come close to your chest if you were using a barbell instead of dumbbells.

Doing reps through the full range of motion might mean you can't do as much weight, but will improve your overall fitness and help a TON with injury prevention in the future.

Just my opinion, a lot will disagree

One exception...incline bb bench. You don't want to go all the way down as it releases tension off the pec and onto the shoulder.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #280
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I can understand Glight's POV despite not performing reps like him. I prefer to take my shoulders out of the equation when performing chest movements as much as possible. I work on ROM all week, every week in Capoeira, and Capoeira movements are TAXING on knees, hips and rotator cuffs (..and the most common injuries for Capoeira practitioners involve those three areas) . I don't need the added stress in the gym, plus I lose the tension in my chest when I drop too far below parallel; it doesn't feel right to my body. I would suggest dropping your elbows slightly lower than you are, but it's up to you. My reps are exactly like this (..just slightly below parallel):

To me that seems like it would touch his chest if it was a barbell.