E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #61
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5, M5 E39
My rules:

don't wreck it
don't abuse it
don't curb the wheels
Be careful where you park it (park a few cars away, I don't want parking lot dents..)

Other than that I don't care. It's only my parents or cousins who drive/ or have driven my car. I trust all of them 100% so I don't worry about my car when I leave it in their hands

Last edited by Johal E32; 12-28-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Johal E32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #62
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
My car has a soul.

Would be OK if I could get another, same year, model, color, and options. But my e46 is never to be made again. Irreplaceable at any cost, so priceless in my mind.
It does not. It's just a car and it is easily replaceable.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #63
SB_RavenE46

My Ride: 330CI ,06 R6, S1000
Send a message via Yahoo to SB_RavenE46
Family and friends don't bother to ask to drive my 330 it's kinda a waste of time
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #64
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I rarely drive the thing anymore. It's my wife's car. I don't put too much emotion into material things, it's a waste of time and energy.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #65
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Rules for my E46
#1 Never lend out your car
#2 Read rule #1.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #66
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I rarely drive the thing anymore. It's my wife's car. I don't put too much emotion into material things, it's a waste of time and energy.
Finally, someone with a little common sense around here.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #67
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Different people value different things. Where people place their values does not determine their level of common sense. We you take anything in life, whether a relationship, a car, a house whatever, when you invest time, blood, sweat and tears into them you create a bond that is HARD to replace (not impossible). I don't think that because people have ground rules for driving their car means they lack common sense.

What I do know is that your lack of caring is aligned with most BMW owners not on this forum because to them this is just a car (or hunk of metal), not the Ultimate Driving Machine.
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #68
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eckLesS View Post
Different people value different things. Where people place their values does not determine their level of common sense. We you take anything in life, whether a relationship, a car, a house whatever, when you invest time, blood, sweat and tears into them you create a bond that is HARD to replace (not impossible). I don't think that because people have ground rules for driving their car means they lack common sense.

What I do know is that your lack of caring is aligned with most BMW owners not on this forum because to them this is just a car (or hunk of metal), not the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Emotional investment in inanimate objects is a waste of time at best, generally a sign of immaturity and/or a lack of sense, or symptom of mental illness at worst.

Valuing things over people is always a bad idea.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #69
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
I don't let people borrow my car except for immediate family and a few friends. I would let a select few cousins that are trust worthy but they can't drive stick. Select few friends are allowed if I know that they will take care of it. No rules or anything special, just treat it nicely. Well, there is one rule, no revving high until she's warm. Once she's warm, do whatever you want.

Its not a matter of my car having a soul or being irreplaceable, its a matter of respect. Most people don't have respect for other people's stuff. I work hard for my money and I don't want it to be wasted because someone else doesn't give a crap about my stuff. I hated giving people rides when I was in USMC because they didn't have common courtesy. Not that my car is above any one or anything, but you don't need to slam the door as hard as people do, don't need to kick the door panels every time you get in and out of the car, don't need to throw the seat back (coupe) and stuff. Just common courtesy that not many people have any more. My car is a 2001, the interior looks decent because I do little things to take care of it. I'd like to keep it that way, and I know most other people won't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
adamdifilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #70
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
My brother and best friend are the only people who have access to my BMW any time they are staying with me. They both understand how I am regarding my cars and appreciate nice cars themselves. I don't have any policies other than "don't wreck my car"
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #71
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
With as much blood as I have split working on this car, it had damn well better have a soul.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #72
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Emotional investment in inanimate objects is a waste of time at best, generally a sign of immaturity and/or a lack of sense, or symptom of mental illness at worst.

I would agree that I do occasionally waste time, I can be immature which sometimes causes a lack of sense. I don't agree that we should willy nilly allow people to do what the wish with my car because I value them as a person and not my car.

As an insurance salesman, I ask this. By you valuing people and allowing a friend to take your car, he is hot dogging down 66 ( I know unrealistic in the devils ass hole) and slams into the back of a mini van and kills a family. While he is responsible (his insurance) you still are financially liable because you enabled the usage.

I know, "I would never let someone irresponsible behind the wheel of the car." The fact of the matter is valuing your investment and making smart decisions to not put your self in a position where you can be liable for financial obligation for the rest of you life because of someones else's actions in my opinion is the common sense thing to do.

My father who is a retired state trooper in VA, taught me something 13 year ago when I started driving. NEVER let anyone borrow your car unless it is an emergency. Now maybe he has a pessimistic point of view because he served the state for 30 years dealing with the $h!t scum of the earth, but I think that is something that stuck in my head and I value to this day.

Brian
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #73
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
No one drives my car but me and my wife. She knows to respect the car and she's not an idiot.

Other than that, no one touches her.
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #74
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
If my car ever heard you say that, I can't say I could protect you from it when you are out on the street.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #75
D4323i

My Ride: 1999 323i
No one drives my car exept my wife, brother and father who are mechanics. If i ever have to lend it out to someone it will be someone i trust 100%

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #76
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4323i View Post
No one drives my car exept my wife, brother and father who are mechanics.
If I had a wife who is a mechanic, I'd cherish that woman for a long time!
Does she have all the BMW codes memorized?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #77
330iPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If my car ever heard you say that, I can't say I could protect you from it when you are out on the street.
Now that's funny!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #78
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Only person I let drive my car is the girlfriend, and 99% of the time I'm in the passenger seat. I don't trust anyone with my car.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #79
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iPilot View Post
Most car people usually have a little emotional investment in their cars. If you don't that's okay, I get it. This is a site of fanatics, I'd argue a good amount of people love their cars.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #80
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Quote:

I value my friendships and relationships so much that I would never lend my car in the off chance that a relationship would be ruined if something happened. Not necessarily by me being upset...but by their guilt.

It's just not worth it.

Also, it's not because it's "my" car or my "BMW". Most people in my circle will tell you that it bothers me to see anyone disrespecting property, yes, even if it is their own.