E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
bbenj10

My Ride: 2005 M3 6MT
6MT Clunk When Accelerating in Gear

Just started noticing this clunk this morning. If I am coasting in gear (tried 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) and ease onto the throttle, an audible clunk comes from the back of the car near the differential.

It only seems to happen when I apply gas after coasting in gear. I've tried to make it stop by really lightly rolling onto the throttle, which only worked a couple times. Applying the gas at any normal driving rate will give me this clunk 100% of the time. Any ideas on what it could be?

The M3 is a 2005 with 60k miles. RTABs and Diff Fluid were replaced at 48k miles for Inspection II.
bbenj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
olivierE46M3

My Ride: E46 M3 2003
Subframe?
olivierE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Could be diff bushing.

If its a persistent rotational clunking, on acceleration, it could be the center support bearing...doesn't sound like what tour describing though.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
bbenj10

Yeah it's not a consistent clunking, just a single clunk when initially applying the gas. After that, it's fine. Diff bushing sounds like a good possibility though.

2005 M3 6MT - Silver Gray / Black
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
bbenj10

One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't make a noise when travelling at highway speeds in 6th gear. It only seems to be around town in 1st through 4th gears. And the sound occurs when I'm already in gear, coasting, and then re-applying the gas.

Last edited by bbenj10; 12-28-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
///MPR77

There are external torx bolts that secure the diff at least on (non ms)

I noticed mine became slightly slack, which caused a bit of a clunk/dinging sound. I tightened them really well, and the sound went away.

Its just a guess on my part, but will cost you about 20 min to check out.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenj10 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't make a noise when travelling at highway speeds in 6th gear. It only seems to be around town in 1st through 4th gears. And the sound occurs when I'm already in gear, coasting, and then re-applying the gas.
That is because the car is putting out very little torque in 6th at HWY speed. Our cars have suffered from weak diff mounting bolts and BMW, superseded to different bolts to correct the problem. There are three diff bushings, which these bolts run through. Two of them are toward the top on the rear cover, and are the bolts that tent to shear. There is one going horizontally in the front center. The bushing are a good robust design, so unless your up around 100k miles it would not be my first suspicion. Also while under there its good to look for subframe mount cracks. The most common and visible will be at the rear drivers side mount. You need to clean the area real well, grime and undercoating will conceal smaller cracks.

Edit- You will want to remove one at a time, so your diif stays in place. You need to look at this before driving any more, its a possible safety hazzard!!!

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|

Last edited by NICKBRUM; 12-29-2012 at 02:41 PM.
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
bbenj10

Dealer told me it is rear subframe mounts and differential mounts. They're saying it's a 13 hour job labor wise. Is that way high or about right for replacing all the mounts??

Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenj10 View Post
Dealer told me it is rear subframe mounts and differential mounts. They're saying it's a 13 hour job labor wise. Is that way high or about right for replacing all the mounts??
Slam on the Brakes, with the Stealership!! The time they are quoting is not insane, as the subframe has to be removed to do this. I dont buy that all of your bushings are shot. If it is true it would be nuts not to put a reinforcement kit in while you are in there. Shoot me a PM with your email, and I would be happy to give you my personal advice.

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
///MPR77

Start with the diff bushing as its cheapest and easiest.

Research all the 40+ bushings on the e46, and plan on replacing them all, little by little, if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Last edited by ///MPR77; 12-29-2012 at 03:33 PM.