E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
burntass

My Ride: ///m3 vert, 05 MCS
center console cutting for the convertible

I just received a brand new console, and it doesn't fit my convertible. then I noticed a set of instructions which indicates some cutting might be involved. has anyone ever re-cut their console to fit their convertible? if so what tools did you use? a table saw?

here is the console:

2005 ///m3 cb/cinnamon vert: weekends
2005 Mini Cooper S/jet black hardtop: daily
1988 e30 325ix/gray hardtop: gone
2002 e46 tiag 325ci vert: gone
burntass is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
You should have gotten a template with the console, you're supposed to line it up and then dremel the shape out. Kind of budget I guess, but on the other hand BMW generally doesn't assume that people will be installing these things themselves so its understandable.. its just a little more work for your mechanic.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntass View Post
I just received a brand new console, and it doesn't fit my convertible. then I noticed a set of instructions which indicates some cutting might be involved. has anyone ever re-cut their console to fit their convertible? if so what tools did you use? a table saw?

here is the console:
I just did this last weekend! I used the template that came with my console to mark where it need to be cut....and I used a battery operated jigsaw to cut it. Very easy to do, and came out great.

I also think most people use the dremel tool.

Good luck

2007 750Li
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
burntass

My Ride: ///m3 vert, 05 MCS
thanks for the advice guys, will goto home depot first thing in the morning to buy a tool

2005 ///m3 cb/cinnamon vert: weekends
2005 Mini Cooper S/jet black hardtop: daily
1988 e30 325ix/gray hardtop: gone
2002 e46 tiag 325ci vert: gone
burntass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
rebmo

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330Cic
I did the same just recently as I needed to do a cutout also for the rear vert alarm sensor cover (06 vert). The alarm sensor template also includes the vert cutout section. I cut out the template (the section that gets cut out) and scotch taped it to the new console. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel since there is other plastic right behind what you are cutting away and you don'd want to go too deep. Once the cutout was finished I used an X-acto knife to cut away any plastic in the corners still holding the cutout in place, and the used a sanding block to clean up the edge. It came out perfect. BTW, the template does not stick too well to the console, so that's why I used clear Scotch tape. It holds it in place better and it protects the surface from scratches while cutting.

Reb
rebmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
cgj

My Ride: 2006 325CIC
Just curious, why are you (and everyone else on this thread) replacing the console in your convertible?
cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgj View Post
Just curious, why are you (and everyone else on this thread) replacing the console in your convertible?
I replaced mine because I was two toning the car and replaced a beige one with a black one.

However, I have seen a lot of fanatics replace them just because they are old and scratched up.

It is VERY easy to do.

2007 750Li
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
What should we expect to pay for a console assuming we are able to cut and install DIY? Is the ashtray cover and the sunglass tray cover just as simple to replace?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Maveric

My Ride: 2004 M3
Question

I have to cut my new center console for my convertible. Unfortunately, I don't have any power tools.

Can I just use a box cutter heated up every 30 secs. or so with a candle flame?

Thanks!
Maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
i used my dremel. takes less than a minute and looks great.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
AHEAD OF THE CLASS

My Ride: M3, Ducati 848, RR
Send a message via AIM to AHEAD OF THE CLASS
I also used a dremel very easy an i felt like Tim the tool man Taylor lmao.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgj View Post
convertibles get a lot more sun than the average 3 series. The sun makes the rubberized coating look faded and dirty after a few years.. plus normal use scratches it up and makes it look like poop especially around the parking brake handle.

then BMW really screws you because the don't sell a console specific to the convertible, so you have to order one from the coupe and cut the back so it fits the higher hump profile of the body.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I used a Fein Multimaster to make the rear cut out for the rear most motion sensor cover.

Was unaware that you would need to cut a coupe console to fit the Vert, but now I know if I ever need to swap it out!
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #14
Maveric

Question

Guys, did your template fit properly? My template doesn't seem to align correctly with the edges of my console!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
Maveric

Lightbulb

Since my template didn't align well with the new center console, I removed the old one and used it as a template. I put masking tape on the new console and used a pencil to trace a cutting line.

Since I don't have a dremel, I flattened the tip of a soldering iron with a hammer and used it as a hot knife. It didn't produce the best results, but it worked. I used 100 grit sand paper with a sanding block to clean up the edges.

Replacing the console itself was easy with these DIYs:

http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/centerconsole

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11183388

Last edited by Maveric; 01-29-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
McGary911

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
I wish I had seen this thread before I tackled this last night. Luckily it was pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together once I saw the template in the box. Like others, I cut it with a hacksaw and Dremel wheel. I used a deburring tool to clean up the edge, and I'm good to go. I got a eurotray as well to replace the cup holders. The car looks a LOT nicer now.
McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
jpvale93

My Ride: bmw m3
Can anyone take pictures of how it came out and looks installed thanks if u can email them to me I would appreciate it juanvalencia2@aol.com
jpvale93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Thanks to everyone in this thread for all their help. I was going nuts trying to figure out why my new center console wasn't fitting. My friend used the saw and dremmel method and did it for me. He didn't like the template so he used the old center console as his template and drew around the new one. Once the new console was installed you can't even tell it was modified

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center console, e46