E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #1761
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Swimming would be good for your goals, no?
I guess but I don't really have access to pools other than a friends in the summer.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #1762
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I guess but I don't really have access to pools other than a friends in the summer.
Ahh I guess running is way easier to do logistically than swimming, you'd have to belong to a rec center like gym similar to the one i'm in to make it economical
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #1763
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Awesome workout tonight. Love the new spun compression pants

Marked another pr off my list
And video too


Front Barbell Squat:
45 lb x 10 reps (+42 pts)
135 lb x 7 reps (+73 pts)
165 lb x 5 reps (+80 pts)
190 lb x 2 reps (+64 pts)
190 lb x 5 reps (+95 pts)
190 lb x 5 reps (+95 pts)

Barbell Squat:
160 lb x 5 reps (+78 pts)
160 lb x 5 reps (+78 pts)
160 lb x 5 reps (+78 pts)
All done with 3sec pause in the hole

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
45 lb x 10 reps (+58 pts)
95 lb x 8 reps (+78 pts)
115 lb x 6 reps (+84 pts)
115 lb x 6 reps (+84 pts)
145 lb x 1 reps (+53 pts)

Chin-Up:
5 reps || weighted || 30 lb (+45 pts)
5 reps || weighted || 30 lb (+45 pts)
10 reps (+67 pts)

Barbell Lunges:
45 lb x 14 reps (+78 pts)
45 lb x 14 reps (+78 pts)
45 lb x 14 reps (+78 pts)
45 lb x 14 reps (+78 pts)
45 lb x 14 reps (+78 pts)

Last edited by DylloS; 11-08-2013 at 11:14 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1764
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Workout felt good tonight. Good form on my cleans and 165 felt easy

Power Clean:
95 lb x 10 reps (+44 pts)
135 lb x 7 reps (+54 pts)
165 lb x 3 reps (+48 pts)
165 lb x 3 reps (+48 pts)
165 lb x 3 reps (+48 pts)
165 lb x 3 reps (+48 pts)
165 lb x 3 reps (+48 pts)

Hang Clean:
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)
135 lb x 3 reps (+39 pts)

Ring Dip:
6 reps || weighted || 30 lb (+68 pts)
6 reps || weighted || 30 lb (+68 pts)
6 reps || weighted || 30 lb (+68 pts)

Toes-To-Bar:
10 reps (+10 pts)
10 reps (+10 pts)
10 reps (+10 pts)

Sit-Up:
10 reps (+5 pts)
10 reps (+5 pts)
10 reps (+5 pts)
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #1765
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
So tonight I just practiced a bunch of squat cleans. I suck. My feet flare way out and I end up on my toes a lot. Someone help lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #1766
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
sit your butt back
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #1767
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
sit your butt back
Definitely noticed that helped. I just need practice
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #1768
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Find a pre-lift routine that you use every time that you can duplicate that gets you into a good starting position.

I will get you a video, but what I do is:

Position my feet
grip the bar
pull the bar to my shins
squat down into a full squat with my back rounded while still holding the bar
lift my ass up and set my back
lean back a little so I rock onto my heels a bit
big breath
pull

I find the rock back onto the heels helps me keep the bar close to me and prevent ending up on my toes when I'm driving out of the bottom of the squat after I receive the bar.

If you are ending up on your toes, the bar is probably ending up out in front of you. It can happen for a variety of reasons, but I find that it happens most frequdently when you rush the second pull. After the bar gets past your knees, keep it really close to your body until it hits where your belt would be on a pair of dress pants.

That is your point when the bar starts going up and you pull yourself under the bar.

Hopefully that helps. Post a video.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #1769
Hockeyman17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Moody, B.C. Canada
Posts: 128
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Nice work dude. Your numbers are progressing nicely.
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #1770
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: I'm absolutely omnipresent!
Posts: 1,776
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Find a pre-lift routine that you use every time that you can duplicate that gets you into a good starting position.

I will get you a video, but what I do is:

Position my feet
grip the bar
pull the bar to my shins
squat down into a full squat with my back rounded while still holding the bar
lift my ass up and set my back
lean back a little so I rock onto my heels a bit
big breath
pull

I find the rock back onto the heels helps me keep the bar close to me and prevent ending up on my toes when I'm driving out of the bottom of the squat after I receive the bar.

If you are ending up on your toes, the bar is probably ending up out in front of you. It can happen for a variety of reasons, but I find that it happens most frequdently when you rush the second pull. After the bar gets past your knees, keep it really close to your body until it hits where your belt would be on a pair of dress pants.

That is your point when the bar starts going up and you pull yourself under the bar
.

Hopefully that helps. Post a video.
Oh so important!!!!! Keeping that bar close to your hips does wonders.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #1771
kushy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: kids these days are pu55ies
Posts: 238
My Ride: automatic m3

















Just kidding bro. I was browsing through your youtube channel and what a difference in form and weight from when you started posting videos. GJDM. Post before and after shot.
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #1772
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Find a pre-lift routine that you use every time that you can duplicate that gets you into a good starting position.

I will get you a video, but what I do is:

Position my feet
grip the bar
pull the bar to my shins
squat down into a full squat with my back rounded while still holding the bar
lift my ass up and set my back
lean back a little so I rock onto my heels a bit
big breath
pull

I find the rock back onto the heels helps me keep the bar close to me and prevent ending up on my toes when I'm driving out of the bottom of the squat after I receive the bar.

If you are ending up on your toes, the bar is probably ending up out in front of you. It can happen for a variety of reasons, but I find that it happens most frequdently when you rush the second pull. After the bar gets past your knees, keep it really close to your body until it hits where your belt would be on a pair of dress pants.

That is your point when the bar starts going up and you pull yourself under the bar.

Hopefully that helps. Post a video.
Thanks man. Ill try again this week coming up. I want to be able to do decent weight and I think this lift will help my overall strength a lot. It feels like so many things are happening
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #1773
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Last nights workout

Lower back is already super tight today

Barbell Deadlift:
135 lb x 10 reps (+77 pts)
135 lb x 10 reps (+77 pts)
225 lb x 10 reps (+142 pts)
255 lb x 8 reps (+168 pts)
255 lb x 8 reps (+168 pts)
255 lb x 8 reps (+168 pts)

Push Press:
115 lb x 15 reps (+54 pts)
115 lb x 12 reps (+52 pts)
115 lb x 9 reps (+50 pts)

Body Weight Ring Push-Up:
15 reps (+22 pts)
12 reps (+18 pts)
9 reps (+13 pts)

Box Jumps:
15 jumps || 20 in (+37 pts)
12 jumps || 20 in (+28 pts)
9 jumps || 20 in (+20 pts)

Toes-To-Bar:
10 reps (+10 pts)
10 reps (+10 pts)
10 reps (+10 pts)

Sit-Up:
10 reps (+5 pts)
10 reps (+5 pts)
10 reps (+5 pts)
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #1774
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Front Barbell Squat:
135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+66 pts)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
95 lb x 10 reps (+81 pts)
115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)
115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)
115 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

Ring Pull-Up:
10 reps (+75 pts)
7 reps (+47 pts)
6 reps (+38 pts)

Power Clean and Press:
115 lb x 5 reps (+86 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)
135 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)

Goblet Squat (kettlebell):
53 lb x 10 reps (+39 pts)
53 lb x 10 reps (+39 pts)
53 lb x 10 reps (+39 pts)

Two-Arm Kettlebell Swing:
70 lb x 12 reps (+44 pts)
70 lb x 12 reps (+44 pts)
70 lb x 12 reps (+44 pts)
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #1775
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
So I'm thinking of trying out more of a body building routine for a few months to get some size. I tried them in the past and was always a little bored but I want to give it a go. If I get bored I'll go back to what I'm doing now.

I am having a really hard time coming up with a split though.

I want a 3-4 days split and repeat every 5th or 6th day. I'd like to get each of these in two times a week if possible.

I'm not sure how to group everything though.
I'm leaning towards

Chest Tri, Back Bi, Legs Shoulders. That seems like the best mix to hit everything hard and often.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #1776
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
So I'm thinking of trying out more of a body building routine for a few months to get some size. I tried them in the past and was always a little bored but I want to give it a go. If I get bored I'll go back to what I'm doing now.

I am having a really hard time coming up with a split though.

I want a 3-4 days split and repeat every 5th or 6th day. I'd like to get each of these in two times a week if possible.

I'm not sure how to group everything though.
I'm leaning towards

Chest Tri, Back Bi, Legs Shoulders. That seems like the best mix to hit everything hard and often.
You don't really have the equipment for a BB program do you?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #1777
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
You don't really have the equipment for a BB program do you?
Beat me to it
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #1778
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
You don't really have the equipment for a BB program do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Beat me to it
I think I do. Here's a list of the lifts I would plan on doing. Just not sure the order or days. Let me know what you guys think but I think I can get just as good of a workout in my garage as I can at any other gym. I just don't have machines.

The lifts I would want to do are these:

Back squat, front squat, lunges, Leg raises with my bench

Power cleans, shoulder press, front raises, lateral raises, Kb swings

flat bench, incline bench, flys, ring dips, close grip bench, skull crushers

Dead lift, RDL's pull ups, chin ups, ring rows, Barbell curls, dumbbells curls
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #1779
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I think I do. Here's a list of the lifts I would plan on doing. Just not sure the order or days. Let me know what you guys think but I think I can get just as good of a workout in my garage as I can at any other gym. I just don't have machines.

The lifts I would want to do are these:

Back squat, front squat, lunges, Leg raises with my bench

Power cleans, shoulder press, front raises, lateral raises, Kb swings

flat bench, incline bench, flys, ring dips, close grip bench, skull crushers

Dead lift, RDL's pull ups, chin ups, ring rows, Barbell curls, dumbbells curls
Looks good to me, might want to add in a reverse fly for shoulders to hit the rear head. Didn't realize you had dumbbells, that was going to be my question.

From experience, you want to space out your back and leg days as much as possible. Fatigue from either without proper rest (example hamstrings/lower back / traps from a tuesday deadlifting session won't be rested for squatting the next day). I've never had a problem with shoulder/arms/chest inhibiting other lifts, but I definitely know when I did a leg workout recently. For this reason, I like to leave legs as my last workout before weekend, which gives them ample time to rest and recover.

Half of the reason I hurt my back is because of schedule conflicts I deadlifted heavy friday and went to squat saturday when I wasn't rested, a precursor to injury.

Edit: What were you thinking for a rep scheme, I believe this is more determining of a strength vs bodybuilding type workout than exercise choice
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 01-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #1780
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Looks good to me, might want to add in a reverse fly for shoulders to hit the rear head. Didn't realize you had dumbbells, that was going to be my question.

From experience, you want to space out your back and leg days as much as possible. Fatigue from either without proper rest (example hamstrings/lower back / traps from a tuesday deadlifting session won't be rested for squatting the next day). I've never had a problem with shoulder/arms/chest inhibiting other lifts, but I definitely know when I did a leg workout recently. For this reason, I like to leave legs as my last workout before weekend, which gives them ample time to rest and recover.

Half of the reason I hurt my back is because of schedule conflicts I deadlifted heavy friday and went to squat saturday when I wasn't rested, a precursor to injury.

Edit: What were you thinking for a rep scheme, I believe this is more determining of a strength vs bodybuilding type workout than exercise choice
Yea definitely want those spread out. For rep scheme I was thinking between 6-12 reps depending on the lifts. I want a good mix of low rep and high rep

As an example this is how I think I want a leg shoulder day to go. Just an example. I'm open to suggestions though. I think I want a Back Bi, Chest Tri, Leg Shoulder split though.

3x10 Back Squat
3x5 Front Squat
3x8 Dumbbell Lunges
3x12 Leg extensions

3x10 Press
3x8 Front Raises
3x10 Lateral Raises
3x12 KB swings
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use