E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #61
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
What inspires me. Tits and Pussy.
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #62
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: Ghey Mobile
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Ok. I get it now. Word of advise. Don't put all your faith in MVC or even MS for that matter. If all you do is spoon feed on MS and .Net you will never undestand the fundamentals of software development. I always refer to .Net as the .Net lego set. Its little blocks of code that you assemble in accordance with the instructions on the lid. You really need to be aiming for platform independance. When you can build an application end to end with nothing more than a text editor and a compiler then you will be a software developer. As your software career develops in the commercial world you will find that you start to come across more complex requirements that can't be delivered by plugging .Net framework blocks together. You will need to be capable of designing more and more of your own custom classes in order to deliver the solution.
Thanks for that advice. Working with these IDEs is of course not going to give you the whole picture of the SWE development cycle. I am aware about requirements gathering, designing, implementing, testing and maintaining software, but as a student it is hard to break into the more practical stuff. What do you suggest I do to get more practical experience? I have done quite a bit of work with web development and databases, but these projects are still at the amateur level. Now I am starting to get into building mobile apps for Android and getting involved in open-source projects. Besides that I am not sure what else I can do until I start working. I do like how you mention that I should be able to build software with nothing more than a text editor and a compiler because I prefer to do it this way, but when you work at a company they have their own ways of doing things, so I have to be familiar with this kind of software whether I like it or not.
nikkeiS2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #63
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treburkulosis View Post
What inspires me. Tits and Pussy.
most honest answer in the thread.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #64
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
People who are better than I am inspire me. People who have more life experience than I do inspire me. People who can teach me something inspire me.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #65
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
most honest answer in the thread.
Seems legit
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #66
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Doing or seeing a solution to something that hasn't been done inspires me...

Harder and harder to get inspired these days, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #67
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Yeah, that's the general perception of people who don't know. What they don't see is the computational fluid dynamics required to design a smoke control system to keep an atrium safe while people evacuate a building during a fire, or how the dew point temperature of the air coming out of your air conditioning unit is more critical than the actual air temperature.

It irks me when the janitorial staff is placed under the domain of the engineering department, and a typical building engineering staff contains no degreed mechanical engineers, much less professionally licensed engineers.

There are laws against using the word "Engineering" in a company name or description when that company has no licensed engineers on staff. They are enforced occasionally, but never make the 6:00 news.

Apparently, this subject is a hot button with me, so I promise this will be my last post on this thread.

The engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical) who design the public environment (buildings, roads, traffic control, bridges, etc) are first and foremost charged with protecting the public safety. First, do no harm.

The same is true for engineers who design products that people use. Our cars are becoming safer because engineers are charged with protecting the safety of those using the products, especially when they are travelling 160 mph down the highway.

Believe me, if you are a degreed mechanical engineer working in a position with an engineering title, you are most likely being challenged to bring your education and experience to bear on the task at hand. It's a rare non-engineer that would be able to perform your work, no matter what field you are in.

It's not a letdown to work in the HVAC industry. It's a lot more complicated and challenging than you think. If you are really interested in why it's not a trade job, go to www.ashrae.org and poke around a bit. Who do you think are trying to figure out how to design net-zero-energy buildings?
I learned a lot from this insightful post. Thanks!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #68
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Yeah, that's the general perception of people who don't know. What they don't see is the computational fluid dynamics required to design a smoke control system to keep an atrium safe while people evacuate a building during a fire, or how the dew point temperature of the air coming out of your air conditioning unit is more critical than the actual air temperature.

It irks me when the janitorial staff is placed under the domain of the engineering department, and a typical building engineering staff contains no degreed mechanical engineers, much less professionally licensed engineers.

There are laws against using the word "Engineering" in a company name or description when that company has no licensed engineers on staff. They are enforced occasionally, but never make the 6:00 news.

Apparently, this subject is a hot button with me, so I promise this will be my last post on this thread.

The engineers (civil, structural, mechanical, and electrical) who design the public environment (buildings, roads, traffic control, bridges, etc) are first and foremost charged with protecting the public safety. First, do no harm.

The same is true for engineers who design products that people use. Our cars are becoming safer because engineers are charged with protecting the safety of those using the products, especially when they are travelling 160 mph down the highway.

Believe me, if you are a degreed mechanical engineer working in a position with an engineering title, you are most likely being challenged to bring your education and experience to bear on the task at hand. It's a rare non-engineer that would be able to perform your work, no matter what field you are in.

It's not a letdown to work in the HVAC industry. It's a lot more complicated and challenging than you think. If you are really interested in why it's not a trade job, go to www.ashrae.org and poke around a bit. Who do you think are trying to figure out how to design net-zero-energy buildings?
I'm glad there are people like you who get excited about doing that kind of work. I knew guys in school who got pumped designing concrete and analyzing structures but I could never get into it. I know this isn't true, but I always felt like I was working in a slow and tech-dumb industry when I was doing civil & construction work, just wasn't very exciting.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #69
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
This is a prevailing misconception that Mechanical Engineers the world over (possible exception of Germany) have had to contend with for generations. People think they fix cars for a living. They don't. MECHANICS fix cars for a living. Mechanical Engineers design cars and just about everything else on the planet. Look around you. Everthing you see and touch owes its existance to some Mech Eng at some point in its manufacture. Whether it be the object itself or the machines that make them.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #70
rosenrot88

My Ride: E63 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm not sure what it is about this forum that periodically drives people to write these manifestos.
Manifestos?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #71
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenrot88 View Post
Manifestos?
Yes.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #72
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
I'm not sure what it is about this forum that periodically drives people to write these manifestos.
youre on another vader roll

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #73
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
youre on another vader roll
That sounds like something you'd get at a trendy sushi place.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #74
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Yes.
"Declarations" might be a better word given the context but what's your point?
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #75
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
"Declarations" might be a better word given the context but what's your point?
I'll let someone wiser than I am restate the question:

Quote:
Sounds like one of those bullsh*t human resources job inteview questions. What is this? Oprah?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #76
iverson2k10

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to iverson2k10 Send a message via MSN to iverson2k10
Fast Cars, shooting Stars, and all of the lights!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #77
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Girls that are good looking AND aren't retarded.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #78
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I think it has more to do with intelligence.
The two can be interrelated.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote